Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM

I rode a 400 Kodiak for 4500 km ,it was a great machine , did everything I asked it too ,I had a snow plow on it too and it was real work horse.Low range would have been a nice asset as well as Power steering. Now I have a RZR 800 and would not go back to a quad. With the long wheel base I find the side x sides stay on top of the skeg better than the quads do so I spend more time riding and less time winching ( unless I am with others who are on quads)

If I did have to go back to a quad though it would most likely be a toss up between Kodiak 450 or the Honda 420 but Power Steering is an absolute must. The big bores have power to spare and the extra weight that goes with it. Lighter is better in my books,when it comes to quads.. Can't beat the comfort of a side x side though (I'm old though so that's just me)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I had an older Yamaha Big Bear 350....was a great quad but I could never get past the horrible drum break design....anyhow I sold that one for what I paid for it $2000 after using it 7+ years.

Picked up a Kodiak 450 with the diff. lock, better brakes!!...etc. I really like this machine. Does exactly what I need and I can still man handle it if I need to.

Big thing for me is it has a pull start.....you just never know when your battery is going to drain or fail.....a pull start will be 100% better than electric start in that circumstance.

LC
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I got a Honda foreman 500. I only used it twice to haul a moose out of the bush but I have hauled dozens of Kwai's and yami's out with great results!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Honda trx300fw is the most produced quad in history (500,000 or so) so parts are common and cheap. You will rarely need parts though because they're bulletproof. Love mine!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 PM

Weird thought after my evening scotch:

What about a rokon?

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

seen a couple in a guys truck heading into elk country last year, they looked new etc. with gun boots on side etc.

the next best option for a bush bike on two wheels would be the yammy tw200, it has a 14" rear rim and will take an 25-26x8-9x14 front atv tire on the rear wheel...or use stock tire and pick up a tire chain made for a front atv tire and pre-fit, may need a new chain to move the wheel back in its adjusters to have clearance in front of the swingarm however...pretty much a necessity if you put the atv tire on but i'm sure you'd have to do the same to use a chain for when things got ugly...oh, did i mention the tw200 is street legal too?

i have two bikes for playing offroad, a tw200 bushed out with a 26x9x14 bighorn rear, added kickstart, larger fuel tank etc. and geared it to about a 90 k top speed but its an incredible little bike, then did similar build on a wr250r i can hit 135 with but its for covering ground and exploring rather than hunting and bushing with...its the fun bike and it is way funner, but you can still cover ground quicker on the tw200 than any quad i've ever had...unsure yet on ability to haul anything out lol but you could throw deer over the passenger seat and ride out but i'd personally just drag a deer out, moose/elk would have to be quarter at a time maybe two, i have my tw200 geared low enough you can walk beside it without clutching, i am going to add an auto clutch so its like an atv also to add to its (half of an atv appeal)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM

my outlander max xt 650 is an awesome quad but it's heavy and turns like a city bus... when it get's stuck it can be a chore to get out.

alot of my friends have complained about lack of power for pushing snow or towing or having a passenger so don't buy something under powered.

too many brands to choose from but from my experience it's a can am or honda. good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
my outlander max xt 650 is an awesome quad but it's heavy and turns like a city bus... when it get's stuck it can be a chore to get out.

alot of my friends have complained about lack of power for pushing snow or towing or having a passenger so don't buy something under powered.

too many brands to choose from but from my experience it's a can am or honda. good luck.
its can am for performance only. for reliability, you will not get better than the japanese brands. for performance, the american brands win. id prefer to have it not breaking every time i ride it, so for me ill stick with the japanese quads. that actually goes for vehicles too....and electronics....

of course if your blood pressure is too low, you could fix that right up and go with the chinese models and have neither performance or reliability.....