Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM

Default Thoughts on Berger vld hunting bullet performance

Those that have killed deer size game or bigger what do you think of there performance compared to say the Accubonds?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM

I have used the VLD's out of my 7mm mag on deer. They act a lot like nosler ballistic tips in terms of wound channel. I've never lost an animal using either however they blow up pretty fast so I really try to take broadside shots on the chest. They are very accurate in my rifle so that is why I use them.

I've never used them on elk or moose so I can't comment on large game performance. But they work just fine on mulies and white tail.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 PM

I have only shot one animal with them. It was a
Big mule buck, and I shot it with a 168 gr vld with my 7 mag. It was beddEd down and when I hit it tipped over and never even kicked! I hit through the chest, through and through, never touched the spine. Just like best of the west! That,s my only experience with them, but man they shoot like a hot damn!!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
I have used the VLD's out of my 7mm mag on deer. They act a lot like nosler ballistic tips in terms of wound channel. I've never lost an animal using either however they blow up pretty fast so I really try to take broadside shots on the chest. They are very accurate in my rifle so that is why I use them.

I've never used them on elk or moose so I can't comment on large game performance. But they work just fine on mulies and white tail.
I also found them very accurate out of my 243win. But they are only 95grainers. My gun would not stabilize the 105s with a 1 in 10 twist rate. They sure have a high BC in the 6mm.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 AM

Just started custom loading Berger vlds this winter and that's all my brother and I will be shooting from now on. We're using 168 gr .284 bullets out of a lazzeroni. At 700 yards they nearly push through a half inch plate! Furthest i shot was 825 and got about a 1/4 " penetration on a half inch plate. We are very satisfied with their performance. Compare that to a regular 7mm with factory loads which were nearly taking the paint off the gong at those distances! This fall will be the test on big game.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

Truly a bullet worth considering especialy at longer ranges..I ve bagged deer and elk with the 140 gr berger vlds out of my 270 wsm, no critter has walked, jumped or ran more then 5 steps with a well placed berger. The hydrolic shock and fragmention is what gets em. My WT buck last year was a appox 250 yard shot broadside, when we dressed him out the berger had taken out 90% of the vitals, that deer was dead before his head hit the gound..If you decide to give them a try, follow bergers bullet seating procedure and go from there..I ve tried many of different breeds of bullets and this is honestly the most ethical bullet to date IMO..
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM

I've been looking for a load already made for my 280.. I seen corlane hunting supplies has their brand but nothing in the 280. There are a few companys that make a load in the states like Midwest and the cabelas but can't get them over here. I wonder if a guy contact cabelas in Edmonton if they can bring them in from the states?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM

I use the bergers in my 260, 270AI and 300WM. Like the others said they work well. Killed my elk using 140gr in the 270AI at 60 yards and killed a deer at 450 yards with 190gr in the 300WM. Also killed half doz other deer using bergers; only the deer at 450 that went 10 yards everything else dropped on the spot. They group so well out of every rifle and didn't take long to develop loads.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Sharpsh00ter View Post
Truly a bullet worth considering especialy at longer ranges..I ve bagged deer and elk with the 140 gr berger vlds out of my 270 wsm, no critter has walked, jumped or ran more then 5 steps with a well placed berger. The hydrolic shock and fragmention is what gets em. My WT buck last year was a appox 250 yard shot broadside, when we dressed him out the berger had taken out 90% of the vitals, that deer was dead before his head hit the gound..If you decide to give them a try, follow bergers bullet seating procedure and go from there..I ve tried many of different breeds of bullets and this is honestly the most ethical bullet to date IMO..
What make of 270wsm do you have? I have a Tikka and was thinking about trying bergers out of it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM

Any one try the hybrid's yet , availability north of the 49th?