Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Hookless Fishing

After many years of catch and release fishing, catching 100’s if not thousands of trout and killing dozens one has to look at the ethics of catch and release fishing. I took my daughter out Grayling fishing and we were having a great day, then she hooked a nice 12” Grayling in the gills and the blood started staining the water and it floated belly up, she had tears in here eyes, it’s sad.

For me I like walking a stream and fishing pocket water, getting a rise excites me a lot, then I started thinking about the next step, the evolution, hookless fishing, Walk the stream make a perfect presentation, get a strike and a 2 second waggle on the rod and it is over. No worry about gill hooking, dragging the fish out and getting the perfect photo, no arguments about who caught the biggest fish. A passive, non invasive form of fishing where you can experience the beauty of the stream but not damaging the fish.

The one question I have is if you do hookless fishing can you fish out of season. In the fishing regulations does fishing mean you have to have a hook on, so if you have a fly without a hook could you go any time?

Wap
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 PM

What kind of fish do you enjoy trolling for?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Perhaps you should take up Golf.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 PM

I think in new Zealand they catch long fin eels with bait stuffed in a sock or pantyhose. Something about there teeth getting stuck and not being able to released them selves. You may be able to do some experimentation of something similar.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 PM

Wapiabi,

Many years ago John Betts created a hook he called "touch and go" if I recall correctly. It had a ball on the pointy end.
Something about John: http://www.reellinespress.com/john-betts.html

Like you I've pondered the number of fish released over the past 45+ years I've been turning fish loose. So far, I haven't changed. Some fish die and if legal, I eat them.

Regards,

Don
Old 03-25-2018, 10:56 PM

Default John Betts

Thanks Don, John Betts is an interesting fellow. This is the kind of fly he pioneered.
https://discourse.10colorstenkara.co...rinth-hook/211
Old 03-25-2018, 11:18 PM

I had an interesting discussion with a National Park Warden on this 30 years ago. Twas the night before open season, and I had a 12 year old on my hands that travelled 10 hrs by bus, on his own, to fish with me in the Rockies - he simply could not wait for opening morning! I cut the hooks off a couple of flys, right at the bend, and we were having fun playing tug-of-war with a bunch of little brookies in a culvert pool when along comes the warden. After much discussion, we left the question unanswered, and me, unticketed. The next morning heralded a week of great fly-fishing for the 2 of us. That kid's now in his 40s and still fishes every chance he gets!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Lots of fish made of plastic, magnets attached, magnet on the line, cast it out sit back and watch the wonders of nature...catch, release, or catch and keep the fridge magnet.

If your all about the bite just go with a hookless fly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2018, 10:51 AM

That's a negative! But best check with AEP or F & W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiabi View Post

The one question I have is if you do hookless fishing can you fish out of season. In the fishing regulations does fishing mean you have to have a hook on, so if you have a fly without a hook could you go any time?

Wap

-Confucius
Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Usually the seasons are closed to allow fish to spawn. Best to leave them alone and let them spawn if it is out of season, regardless of the legalities.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:32 PM

Honestly get a small slingshot and a bunch of frozen crickets. Slingshot the crickets to where you see the fish rising. You’ll be satisfied plus you’ll know you’re increasing the well-being of the fish. And since the crickets are dead, you’re not introducing an invasive species.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 PM

YES!!! ... I have known guys who went fishing in Florida, off the piers / bridges etc with just a weight and no hook plus a half sack a beer. They met their buddies who did the same and they all had 3-6 beers and went home. catching a fish would interrupted their camaraderie etc
Old 03-26-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Honestly get a small slingshot and a bunch of frozen crickets. Slingshot the crickets to where you see the fish rising. You’ll be satisfied plus you’ll know you’re increasing the well-being of the fish. And since the crickets are dead, you’re not introducing an invasive species.
Well,,,, I have done this sans slingshot with live grasshoppers just get an idea of where a hungry trout or two might be hiding.

And as pointless as it sounds,, I have on a few occasions purposely fished with flies that I broke the point off so as not to hook but only raise the fish with, feel it for a moment or two and do a long distance release.

When you come down to it,,,, if you are going to release the fish anyways, what does it matter at what point in the angling experience the fish is released?

And FWIW,,, it is a great way to learn how to "read the water" in small creeks where the fish are willing, small and plentiful. 4"-12" trout aren't known to be formidable foes to bring to hand once hooked. Really,,, the fun is all about getting the "rise" or the "grab" anyways!!!

And the best part is there is zero handling or hooking mortality!!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Probably considered chumming so not a good idea!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
After many years of catch and release fishing, catching 100’s if not thousands of trout and killing dozens one has to look at the ethics of catch and release fishing. I took my daughter out Grayling fishing and we were having a great day, then she hooked a nice 12” Grayling in the gills and the blood started staining the water and it floated belly up, she had tears in here eyes, it’s sad.

For me I like walking a stream and fishing pocket water, getting a rise excites me a lot, then I started thinking about the next step, the evolution, hookless fishing, Walk the stream make a perfect presentation, get a strike and a 2 second waggle on the rod and it is over. No worry about gill hooking, dragging the fish out and getting the perfect photo, no arguments about who caught the biggest fish. A passive, non invasive form of fishing where you can experience the beauty of the stream but not damaging the fish.

Wap
So your kid cries over killing a fish and you now want to fish but without a hook? I can honestly say that I found your post sad, not her tears! So much fail.

You may want to skip hunting, they don’t use paint ball guns!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Perhaps you should take up Golf.
Could curl in the winter as well
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM

Well, they have sexbots now, so why not fishbots? They could be programmed to take specific types of flies.

Spring, please come soon so I can do some real trolling!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I think in new Zealand they catch long fin eels with bait stuffed in a sock or pantyhose. Something about there teeth getting stuck and not being able to released them selves. You may be able to do some experimentation of something similar.
When I guided in the NWT, some of the old guides would do that with pike as means of impressing or winning (friendly) bets with guests.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Probably considered chumming so not a good idea!
Not if you're not fishing for them. This is outside the context of fishing.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Golf course in Redcliff used to have trout in their irrigation ponds. Highlite of the day was always tossing hoppers into the water for the trout. I suspect lots of people did it as they seemed to be waiting for the hoppers.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-27-2018, 09:52 PM

I think I might hunt with blanks now.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:35 AM
Banned

I fish, I catch, I eat what I catch.. end of story...
Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
That's called a camera. Lots of people do it.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:15 PM

Why not just walk the stream and point at a rising fish, that would count as a catch, just think of the cash saved not buying fishing gear,
Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I was guided on Henry's Fork by a guy who hunted with blunt arrows. The hunt was how close he could get.

Each to his own.

Don
Old 03-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Well you can pack you alcohol free beer and your gluten free sandwich in your electric car and hookless flies and Go fishing in a fishless lake. And then vote
NDP or Liberal and you might get your wish. Might as well add a blow up girl friend to the list just to keep you company.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 AM
Banned

Pretty sure hookless fishing will never catch on.

"The tug is the drug"
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Tragicomic thread! This is the kind of discussion that keeps me tuned into this forum. What about using drones for hookless angling?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Banned

Your IP address says under a bridge. And what lives under bridges? Some have funny colored hair and we're popular with young kids in the early 90s.....oh yeah TROLLS
Old 03-29-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Well,,,, I have done this sans slingshot with live grasshoppers just get an idea of where a hungry trout or two might be hiding.

And as pointless as it sounds,, I have on a few occasions purposely fished with flies that I broke the point off so as not to hook but only raise the fish with, feel it for a moment or two and do a long distance release.

When you come down to it,,,, if you are going to release the fish anyways, what does it matter at what point in the angling experience the fish is released?

And FWIW,,, it is a great way to learn how to "read the water" in small creeks where the fish are willing, small and plentiful. 4"-12" trout aren't known to be formidable foes to bring to hand once hooked. Really,,, the fun is all about getting the "rise" or the "grab" anyways!!!

And the best part is there is zero handling or hooking mortality!!!!
A handy Saskatchewan farmer heard a radio contest for concert tickets to whomever caught the most grasshoppers.

I guess the guy fashions a wire catch on the front of a tractor and drove around the fields filling bushel bags...then drove them to the station.

Just imagine dumping a bag full on a stocked trout lake. Would be a cool feeding frenzy if they were looking up.