Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Default NHL trying out some new rules

Some seem like a good idea, others not so much. I like the fact that they are testing them before implementing them. I hope the ones that do get used are still on a trial basis.

What I like- Refs using comms in their helmets.
What I dont like- All the rest of them.

TORONTO - Think of referees gabbing via helmet radios, hand passes in the offensive zone, the death of the trapezoid and repeat shootout contestants in overtime.

Yes, it’s time for the National Hockey League to put white mice on skates and turn the rink into a 200 by 85 foot experimental lab, with the noble intent of streamlining the game and boosting offence.

The league’s second research and development camp, to be held at the MasterCard Centre in Etobicoke Aug. 17-18, seeks to continue the flow re-created after the 2005 lockout. Many of the camp’s more far-fetched ideas won’t go further than this study phase, involving two teams of 2012 draft eligible players, coaches Dan Bylsma and Dave Tippett and an audience of league brass and media.

The concept of three primary faceoff dots instead of nine and red-meshed nets didn’t survive this year, but some holdover experiments, such as hybrid icing, shallow nets and gradually reducing overtime manpower from 4-on-4 to 2-on-2 will be getting a second look.

Here’s a look at some of the rule tweaks to be evaluated during the camp:

REFEREES WITH HEAD-SETS

Would be useful for staying in touch during hectic action as it moves up ice. Ideally, both refs would make sure to be in the best possible position to judge goals or call penalties, as the official who is the furthest away often makes what can be a controversial minor call. They could also relay the linesmen’s comments or stay in touch when one ref is with the timekeeper and the other at the team benches.

NO LINE CHANGES AFTER AN OFFSIDE

Currently in effect only for a team that ices the puck, this would have the dual effect of discouraging offsides and trapping tired players, leading to scoring chances.

ONLY ON-THE-FLY LINE CHANGES PERMITTED

Coaches won’t like their matchups being messed with, but this would restrict stop-time changes only when goals are scored or manpower situations arise.

FACEOFF CHANGES

In the continuing effort to stamp out delays caused by encroaching centres and wingers, misbehaving centres will have to move back a foot, while another variation will allow the other team to pick the next man to take the draw. Faceoffs will be restricted to the five circles, erasing the neutral zone dots. One linesman will be designated for almost all faceoffs to create consistency.

HAND PASSES PERMITTED

North Americans who played baseball will have an advantage here. Just don’t close your hand on the puck.

TRAPEZOID OUT, CENTRE RED LINE IN

Two “roll-back” experiments. Goalies can once again roam to their heart’s content to play the puck, but be warned, they will be penalized for freezing a puck without at least one skate in the crease. They will likely be considered fair game for forecheckers if they get too adventurous when stick-handling.

With the red line active again, two-line passes will be restricted in the hope more players get touches in the neutral zone.

BEARHUG RULE

A Brian Burke initiative, this allows players to wrap up an opponent going into the boards to lessen impact and avoid a holding call
Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Other than the headsets, the ideas seem like one more attempt to make hockey popular with people that really don't care about hockey. The real hockey fans, will continue to watch hockey, but no matter how the league butchers the game to make it more exciting, and to shorten the games to appease the non hockey fans, the simple fact is, these rule changes won't do much to attract new fans.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM

So now that they have players finally used to the no redline rule, they are going to change it again?
Also, if they want to stop players from getting hurt so bad, why not remove the plastic from their gear, so an accidental elbow is leather not a plastic knob, while they are changing things, oh never mind.
QUICK IT"S FIXED, WE BETTER TRY TO BREAK IT BETTER THIS YEAR.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
NO LINE CHANGES AFTER AN OFFSIDE

Currently in effect only for a team that ices the puck, this would have the dual effect of discouraging offsides and trapping tired players, leading to scoring chances.
Sooooooo open to abuse. Your line is fresh and the opposing line is tired... you get the puck but have no play? Ice the puck before they can get a change and the other guys have to stay on. Coaches will find ways to use this.

Quote:

Two “roll-back” experiments. Goalies can once again roam to their heart’s content to play the puck, but be warned, they will be penalized for freezing a puck without at least one skate in the crease. They will likely be considered fair game for forecheckers if they get too adventurous when stick-handling.
Oh yeah, I'm sure no teammate of the goalie who gets pasted into the end boards will drop their gloves or anything like that.... righhhhhhhhht... IF goalies are not to be belted like any other player their ability to roam and play the puck must be severely restricted.

Quote:
With the red line active again, two-line passes will be restricted in the hope more players get touches in the neutral zone.
What is this? Tiger Mites? Must let everyone touch the puck? We need to go back to the old slow clogged up offensive system we used to have?????

Quote:
BEARHUG RULE

A Brian Burke initiative, this allows players to wrap up an opponent going into the boards to lessen impact and avoid a holding call[/I][/B]
So if you hold the guy you can avoid getting a holding call.... hmmmmm But yes, I can see how holding a guys arms down as you take him face first into the glass helps protect him
Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Gone Hunting

They will likely be considered fair game for forecheckers if they get too adventurous when stick-handling.

Yes I agree this will not go well with the goalies team mates.

Sooooooo open to abuse. Your line is fresh and the opposing line is tired... you get the puck but have no play? Ice the puck before they can get a change and the other guys have to stay on. Coaches will find ways to use this.

I think you have this wrong, both teams will not have to stay on if one team ices the puck.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Keep the centre line in, even keep the trapezoid in but.............If the goalie comes out of his net to play the puck he should be treated just like any other player on the ice if he is handling the puck. NOTHING bugs me more than seeing a goalie playing the puck behind his own net without any fear of being body checked.

Just like the old days and, oh yeah............bring Wendle Clarke back out of retirement!