Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Dog chases up a grizzly this morning

I took the choc lab for an easy stroll this morning down in the Crowsnest Pass. We parked at the forestry gate and were walking down the power line in the Allison area. We had just got across the snowmobile/quad bridge and I thought it was weird the lab had not gone into the water yet. Generally he runs into the creek, lays in it and drinks to his hearts content. But then he started running circles around me going faster and faster and I thought this is it I have a crazzy dog. I yell at him go get a drink so he goes to the creek and starts barking. A light brown colored grizzly charges him and stops on the other side of the creek. So here we have a standoff with the bear on one side of the creek and ten yards away was the dog. At the same time I had also got the can of pepper spray off of my belt and took off the plastic lock and was geting ready to use it if I had to. So maybe I did a stupid thing but I yelled at the bear. He stood up on his hind legs and looked at me and then down on four legs and he turned and took off. We also turned and left the area. About 15 minutes later I wondered if that bear had turned around and gone our way because I hear all hell break lose with the hounds on the Kropanik ranch. It was a good day to go home and cut my mom's grass.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm no bear expert, but I think yelling was the best first step to take. At least you had a moment or two to think about the situation.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM

I had a similar experiance last year in K country. We were hiking up to rawson lake, along the upper K lake. Duke (our black lab) just sits down and gets real still out of the blue. Normally he's wired. Momma bear stands up over the bushes she was in, and the cub poked his head out of the bushes.

We talked calmly, backed off, and she went about her business.

If we had been charged, like what happened to your dog. I would have probably pooped my pants and then sprayed myself with bear spray so I taste better.

We were about 15' away from each other. Thankfully the berries tasted better than us, and the dog didn't act up to create a threat to her.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Default bear Scare

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I took the choc lab for an easy stroll this morning down in the Crowsnest Pass. We parked at the forestry gate and were walking down the power line in the Allison area. We had just got across the snowmobile/quad bridge and I thought it was weird the lab had not gone into the water yet. Generally he runs into the creek, lays in it and drinks to his hearts content. But then he started running circles around me going faster and faster and I thought this is it I have a crazzy dog. I yell at him go get a drink so he goes to the creek and starts barking. A light brown colored grizzly charges him and stops on the other side of the creek. So here we have a standoff with the bear on one side of the creek and ten yards away was the dog. At the same time I had also got the can of pepper spray off of my belt and took off the plastic lock and was geting ready to use it if I had to. So maybe I did a stupid thing but I yelled at the bear. He stood up on his hind legs and looked at me and then down on four legs and he turned and took off. We also turned and left the area. About 15 minutes later I wondered if that bear had turned around and gone our way because I hear all hell break lose with the hounds on the Kropanik ranch. It was a good day to go home and cut my mom's grass.

good thing you had your pepper spray incase he charged !!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 AM

That wakes a feller up better than a Starbucks triple shot and Red Bull chaser!

Next time, get both cans ready.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM

I suspect the only real threat to a grizzly would be a pack of wolves, lots of yips and yelling would be a decnt warning for them that they could be someone else's dinner. So lots of noise, and if you can make your self sound something like a pack of wolves Id try it out, though Id rather have a shotty lined up while I try it.

If the bear didnt see ya though, its gotta be better to tip toe out of there then try out somebodys internet advice on a grizz.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
I suspect the only real threat to a grizzly would be a pack of wolves, lots of yips and yelling would be a decnt warning for them that they could be someone else's dinner. So lots of noise, and if you can make your self sound something like a pack of wolves Id try it out, though Id rather have a shotty lined up while I try it.

better to tip toe out of there then try out somebodys internet advice on a grizz.
lol! "shotty"? I'm really falling behind the times.

Yeah, you know what they say about advice? A wise man doesn't need any, and a fool won't listen.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
lol! "shotty"? I'm really falling behind the times.

Yeah, you know what they say about advice? A wise man doesn't need any, and a fool won't listen.
Or, it's often worth what youve paid for it.

Why take my advice on how to deal with a grizz, when the reprucussions are being slowly eaten/disembowled alive?

Ya slugs do make a bit more sense to me though.