Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Building a House!

So, I'm building a new house, and for the sake of the builder, i'll leave the name out.

We're at final drafting, and I just got an email saying my fireplace is too big, and the cantaleaver must be reduced by a foot, making my TV slot only 44" and my shelves around the sides 11 1/4" wide.. They are only going to give me a 250$ credit, which I told them was rediculous, and expressed my GREAT displeasure. I'm just angry with this that they would even offer the product, afterall, they are the 'professionals' in the design studio right?

Frustrated.

rant over
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Fight them.

You may want a 65" tv someday.

over.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

its building code though that the fireplace has to be .9 M from the front of the house. so my 8ft wuold make it .7 M

no fighting.. im angry and they better give me more than a $250 credit... They should give me atleast 1000
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM

That sucks but i feel your pain!

I'm also building a new house and anything i want taken out is way underpriced and anything i want to add is way overpriced.

I too had a dillema of making the fireplace bigger.... i opted for the standard and am going with a mega big screen in the basement.

Just hope you remembered to get a floor plan with lots and lots of wall space for those trophies!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM

??? That's why you go through the process, so things get picked up now not at final inspection.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
They should give me atleast $10,000.00
You are right. Fixed it for you. You may live there for the rest of your life.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You are right. Fixed it for you. You may live there for the rest of your life.
LMAO... a bit steep dont ya think? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
That sucks but i feel your pain!

I'm also building a new house and anything i want taken out is way underpriced and anything i want to add is way overpriced.

I too had a dillema of making the fireplace bigger.... i opted for the standard and am going with a mega big screen in the basement.

Just hope you remembered to get a floor plan with lots and lots of wall space for those trophies!
My other half probably wont let me put fish on my walls, and I'm not a game hunter, so we'll see. If I get a monster one day, I wouldn't even know what to do with it to get it on my wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
??? That's why you go through the process, so things get picked up now not at final inspection.
Very true, I'm just really disappointed. needed a vent!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
LMAO... a bit steep dont ya think? lol
I would not say that, if you send 300-400-700-900,000.00 on your dream house, and a mistake like that happens, between the trades, contractor, draftsmen, etc, what is 10g to them?

To you or me, it is 25 years of mortgage after a hefty down payment, looking at that #**^%$&&@ wall after they screwed it up.

There would be hell to pay.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Assuming you initialed or gave approval to house plans or a floor plan changing them on you now would constitute breech of contract regardless of code constraints. If that's the case make them give you what you want. If you missed the due diligence step of -knowing what your buying- you should be grateful for the two fifty.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Considering the pending crash of housing prices (to follow the crash in sales volumes) like what's happened in the rest of the industrialized world, don't you find it a bit silly to build or buy anything right now?

Especially with mortgage rates guaranteed to go up (substantially), retired Boomers needed to flog their houses for living expenses, outrageously high average prices, impending tax and rates hikes, and a dearth of younger buyers who could possibly afford the total price of purchase, interest, insurance, fees, maintenance, depreciation, utilities, closing/listing costs, etc?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM

Is this a custom design or a canned, off-the-shelf design you're making modifications to?

The reason I ask, is that if it's still a change on the screen, it's a simple STRETCH command in AutoCAD to make it right.

It's a lot easy to make the change now when it's just lines on the screen and not lumber and concrete on the site.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Geez, you had me confused there for a minute - I thought you said "I am building a house", not "I am paying someone huge dollars to do all the mindless labor involved to build me a dream home, trying to accomadate my every wish and desire while staying within the rediculeous building codes and having to deal with couldn't-care -less ****ty tradesman everyday".
Big difference there buddy, you want it done your way - do it yourself.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Gee Canuck, I'm almost guessing you also put yours up without a mortgage.
Cash a paycheck, fill the pickup, go home and build....cash another paycheck....
And way better than code!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 AM

I would think it might be better to just say to them, "Thanks, but I'll go get someone else to do it for me...."

they designed it.

they messed up.

they don't get paid.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
f I get a monster one day, I wouldn't even know what to do with it to get it on my wall?

take a few pictures and throw it back, so it can grow another cm, and I can catch it!