Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution or creation?
Creation 119 29.38%
Evolution 286 70.62%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Not sure if it's been said yet as I didn't read the whole thread but there's absolutely no reason it can't be both.
This is a huge loaded subject that I have recently had many conversations about. And the dichotomy (one or the other) thinking is silly to be honest.
Too much to really get into on here but to limit it to one or the other is very narrow minded.
And this is coming from a born and raised conservative Christian.
If you are looking at it from the Christian biblical perspective the context that the bible was written in needs to be taken in to account. Something I'm saddened to say we (the church) have miserably failed at.
Schian.
I fully agree, there's no reason faith and science can't go hand in hand, to say otherwise really takes away from the legitimate search for truth, something we should place more focus on rather than arguing over who's opinion is correct- no one wins in this scenario.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 PM

STEPHEN HAWKING ADMITS INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS ‘HIGHLY PROBABLE’

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/step...ghly-probable/
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Maybe the problem is not the story but the way we interpret the story.

Of course we interpret the story based on our understanding of our world.

Why couldn't it be that those who wrote that story, wrote it based on their understanding of the world around them at that time, not our understanding of the world today?
Exactly, they have proven there was actually multiple big floods during the time the story of Noah and the Ark were written in the bible in the middle east.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What about all the animals and birds during the flood? Only those saved on the Ark survived. How many species were saved?

Current estimates are 6.5 million land species. Flooding kills plants. Were plants saved also? How many species?

That was one biggie ship.

Should rename Noah's Ark to Species McSpeciesFace.
https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-a...d-left-behind/
Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post

Wrong, and truly fake news.

The real story from Scientific America on this issue:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...awking-vs-god/

Hawkings makes it clear... there is no god

https://www.cnet.com/news/stephen-ha...ere-is-no-god/

"Hawking said: "Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation.""
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
Wrong, and truly fake news.

The real story from Scientific America on this issue:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...awking-vs-god/

Hawkings makes it clear... there is no god

https://www.cnet.com/news/stephen-ha...ere-is-no-god/

"Hawking said: "Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation.""
CHeck the dates on the articles.... People change their mind all the time.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:

A fake article.

Here is a rebuttal to what Stephen Hawking actually said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMyMmjPgLs
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Its too bad that an evolution/creation discussion seems to turn into evolution vs religion.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
CHeck the dates on the articles.... People change their mind all the time.
Yes, check the date of your article.... way back in 2015.

Now, maybe you want to check the source you quoted. They are a satarical website, and state so themselves, right at the bottom.

"World News Daily Report assumes all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any person, living, dead or undead, is purely a miracle."

You got taken big time!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
You are typing on a computer developed by those that learned the truth about science in school, in all likelihood, those who graduated in the past two decades.

I'd say schools generally did pretty good.
Albert Einstein was a creationist.

The inventer of the MRI was a creationist.

There are many other brilliant minds, PhDs, etc that cannot align with evolution,
Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

There are many other brilliant minds, PhDs, etc that cannot align with evolution,
Also Sir Isaac Newton
Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." —Albert Einstein

What make you think he was a 'creationist'?

His quote
"God does not play dice with the universe." Is talking about quantum mechanics not evolution if that's what you are basing your statement on. He has written that he did not even believe in God.

Last edited by Big Thumper; 06-11-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Maybe the problem is not the story but the way we interpret the story.

Of course we interpret the story based on our understanding of our world.

Why couldn't it be that those who wrote that story, wrote it based on their understanding of the world around them at that time, not our understanding of the world today?
I thought this was from the word of god. Not from some "guys" with an interpretation of the word of god.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." —Albert Einstein
Great quote. I fully agree with every letter.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:

This article first appeared on "WORLD DAILY NEWS" which has been proven to be a rag that publishes completely silly and fake news articles.

The same article is continually repeated in a number of Christian News articles and circulated around for a while.

This did not happen.

Stephen Hawking, at no time, EVER, said intelligent design is or was highly probable.

Sorry

EDIT - started typing the above - got sidetracked and hit post only to see other people already jumped on it.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Einstein was a creationist!?

Seriosly!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Einstein was a creationist!?

Seriosly!
Yes, he was.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-s...ry-of.html?m=0

Some interesting reading in this article.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Great quote. I fully agree with every letter.
What make you think he was a 'creationist'?

His quote
"God does not play dice with the universe." Is talking about quantum mechanics not evolution if that's what you are basing your statement on. He has written that he did not even believe in God.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, he was.
How could he be when he didn't believe in God?

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
AE
Old 06-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, he was.
You need to read more and rely less on crank websites.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Interesting read if you have no science background and are unable to read critically. Hardly a true sentence in there.

This passage is especially funny and shows the author is quite stupid or intentionally misleading the naive:

If natural selection were true humans at northern latitudes would have black skin, but they have white skin instead, except the Eskimos who have skin that is halfway between white and black. The people from Russia and the Nordic countries have white skin, blood hair and blue eyes. This is the opposite of what one would predict if natural selection controlled skin color.

Many evolutionists argue that melanin is a natural sunscreen that evolved in a greater amount to protect dark-skinned people who live near the Equator. They simply ignore the fact that dark-skinned Eskimos live north of the Arctic Circle.

Last edited by Big Thumper; 06-11-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM

One of the reasons I believe in intelligent design is the area of finetuning. It's highly unlikely that because of random chance we have the human body. It would take an infinite number of rolls of the dice or fails or whatever you want to call it before you even got to the beginning of human body let alone the fact that when you cut yourself you body is smart enough to know it's leaking and voila you get a blood clot. Science is great at proving how or why things work because they have something tangible to work with. They have yet to see life (ability to grow and reproduce) start on its own. I also think what greater testimony to intelligent design then the ablilty to adapt to ones surroundings. (Some degree of eveloution). but we have yet to see a ape turn into a human.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You need to read more and rely less on crank websites.
Guys like this are exactly who these articles are written for. Written by some one with a some scientific knowledge , who should know better, by intended to be read by someone with none. A perfect example is the book 'Starlight and Time' by Humphries.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, he was.
No - sorry - he was not.

It is well known he was a pantheist.

Last edited by EZM; 06-11-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:

This is clearly another rag article ........ I can't even begin to tell you how many of the things in there are simply reaching, stretching, or just inaccurate or completely fabricated .....

The only interesting thing about this article is the people lining up to eat it up because they "want" or "need" to believe crap like this to justify their own beliefs.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is clearly another rag article ........ I can't even begin to tell you how many of the things in there are simply reaching, stretching, or just inaccurate or completely fabricated .....

The only interesting thing about this article is the people lining up to eat it up because they "want" or "need" to believe crap like this to justify their own beliefs.
Well it is interesting reading.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I thought this was from the word of god. Not from some "guys" with an interpretation of the word of god.
All writings are someones interpretation or perspective.

God would not need you to read a book if he wanted you to know his word.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Well it is interesting reading.
I'm trying to figure out if the author was serious, or just trying to pretend to be a creationist to make them look stupid. This passage really has me laughing, obviously written by someone without any education or intentionally trying to mislead the uneducated:

The Platypus of Australia has characteristics of many species but certainly is not the missing link to all of them. In fact, it is not a link to any of them. The Platypus has made a joke of Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and his unproven theory of natural selection.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I wasn't expecting the evolutionists to praise the article, it has some questionable statements.

I also find it interesting that the "scientists" we have on the forum must be so much more intelligent than the scientists who continually disprove the theory of evolution.

I have declined to reply as much as I had hoped for this fact, it doesn't matter what evidence is presented, someone will pipe up with a statement using words like probably, close, potentially etc. That is a defining trait of evolutionists, nothing has been proven, but proof is just around the corner.

Jump on me all you want, I have been intrigued in this debate for years and nothing I have read has made me decide that the theory of evolution as commonly understood has any merit.

I've watched hours of debates between the two sides, I usually end up laughing at the pathetic attempts of the evolutionists to prove their ideas.

A quote from Einstein - "The scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation....His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an INTELLIGENCE of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection."

I didn't think I could change anyone's mind, I was genuinely interested in what you claimed was infallible proof, one way or the other.

Carry on though, I brought my hip waders to get through the rivers of bull****
Closed Thread