Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Default I tore my long bicep and tendon from my shoulder.

My good wife last night made me go to the hospital after trying to move her new couches out of a house. I was lifting one of the couches when my arm all of a sudden dropped it and broke the couch leg. Every one looked at me and I said I had enough. The doctor on call said they wouldn't do surgery in any clinic and I would have to physio to get the other two muscles in the arm to compensate and it would take probably a year. I guess the plan to take an elk this weekend with my bow tec is done. Any one have a similar situation with a bicep tore from your shoulder?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Yes, tore my left bicep muscle a number of years ago. Heard what sounded like someone ripping the hide off a deer. I iced it right away and after sitting in ER for 7 hours I just went home.

Needless to say arm is not as strong but I still exercise it as much as I can. I still shoot my longbow which is 63# at 28 inches, so you should be fine in time.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Had a friend who had it happen. They reattached the muscle and after about 5 or6 months he went back to work and within a week tore the other. Had it repaired and went into s different line of work.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM

If it tore completely then you're likely to need surgery. I've done partial tears of the bicep tendons and rotator cuffs and found out that tendons don't repair themselves. Eventually they may tear completely. In the end you just get a bunch of scar tissue develop to hold things together. It will probably depend on how much pain you get and if it affects your quality of life though.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

tore my biceps tendon off at the elbow a few years ago.

Did the tendon come off at the shoulder or is it a partial tear? Can you still make a muscle in your arm where your biceps used to be or does your biceps just feel like a ball in your arm? Open a stiff door knob? Not sure how old you are, but these happen once you turn 40+.

Sometimes they will do surgery to repair it if you need it for work or aren't too old. Otherwise they will try and talk you out of surgery. Arm will be about half strength. The Cdn medical system being what it is will try and dissuade you from getting surgery. When they were asking me questions, I made sure I told them I needed the arm for work, (using screwdrivers etc).

This is a time sensitive thing. After a couple weeks it's a no go... (can't remember the exact reasoning). I went for an MRI right away...most people were amazed that I got in for an MRI within a couple days. Sounded like they typically use ultrasound for this, but an MRI was the better way of checking.

Anyway, got in for surgery within 5 days, overnight, and good as new. If it was me, I'd be pushing for the surgery if your tendon is torn off. If you're anywhere near Edmonton, Dr Robert Balyk is the guy to see if you can.

By the way, I was trying to catch a falling mattress off my truck.

Last edited by rugatika; 10-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.