Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Regardless of the breed, I found this entertaining.
OMG too funny!

I'm pretty sure our Britt's have given us that same look a time or two
Old 02-09-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
Aww...that's not fair. They don't smell bad all the time, but I won't argue on the farts. lol.
My lab/golden cross can find a pheasant in a haystack but if it's a runner, boy you gotta be in shape. He puts up an awful lot of birds and yes, a few are still out of range for me when I can't keep up in the thick brush. We use him in thick trees, cactus covered desert, rose and thistle thickets, deep grass (7-8 feet tall),... you get the picture. I have a cordura vest to protect his chest and belly or he'd be a bloody mess. The places we hunt also have water and are in waterfowel fly paths so we are constantly changing shot in our guns and methods to jump shoot these birds or call them in. His short hair sheds burrs easily and he is never cold. He may not be the best at any given thing but he's my best at everything, including quail, grouse, and even retrieved a turkey for me.
Oh. I forgot...he evenfinds my arrows at 3-D shoots. He may not be the best pheasant dog but he's my best dog because I don't just hunt pheasants.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Regardless of the breed, I found this entertaining.
I might see this look a time or two hahahaa
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Banned

Default One important item !

When the weather is really cold and indoor training is the order,of the
Day , it is advised that your broadloom cleans up easily !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 PM

English Setter is the dog for me. Hard to beat a dog like Zeek, he could benefit from a better trainer.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
You know what they say about opinions.

If we were to go by opinion, obviously the number one choice of hunters is the Labrador.

If we were to narrow the field and include only field bred "American" Labradors I think the contest would be much different. We just don't have easy access to quality field dogs here in this country.
I admit that I'm biased, but only after well over 40 years of chasing pheasants. We get invaded with pheasant hunters here. Opening weekend is a total fiasco. Hunters come from all over the west as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan. The motels and campgrounds are full every years. I see just about every gundog breed imaginable, of course, with more than a fair number of labs. Do people kill birds with the various breeds? Of course they do. In a good year around here you could shoot your limit with a toy poodle! In a poor year (like the last couple of years), you'd better have a very, very good dog or you're going to get skunked more often than not.

I can only speak about hunting where I hunt (northcentral Montana). Around here I hunt the river bottoms and creek bottoms. It's heavy, nasty cover....cattails, wildrose bushes, weed choked ditches, etc. A pointing breed may very well lock up on point in this cover, but how in the world do you get the bird to fly? Most of the time they will skulk away while the dog is on point. I have a Setter and he's outstanding on Huns and Sharptails, but when it comes to pheasants in heavy cover he's marginal at best. I have a friend who has an outstanding Setter and he kills a ton of pheasants over her, but he hunts more open country.... grassy coulees bordering grain fields, etc., but even then his dog is more of a semi-flusher. She locks up solid on point at times, but more often than not it's more like a creeping point.

Labs can't get through the heavy stuff like a Springer can. They just aren't designed for it. Some of the smaller labs I've seen do ok, but most are larger dogs. Many years ago a fellow moved to town who was bragging up his Lab. I played softball with him and got to know him well, so when pheasant season opened we went out. We hunted this large area of fireweeds that was about chest high. The place was crawling with pheasants, but it was so thick you could barely walk through it. To make a long story short, he and I and his brother shot 9 roosters and my Springer retrieved every single one. She'd weave in, around, and under the weeds and come back with a bird. His lab stared out busting the cover, but tired pretty quickly and after a while he was tagging along behind us. When we got back to the truck the friend pointed to my Springer and said, "My next dog is going to be one of those"!!!

George Hickox, a well known trainer who puts on training seminars, has DVD's on training, etc. says this. If you mostly hunt quail and woodcock, get a pointer. If you mostly hunt waterfowl, get a Lab. If you mostly hunt pheasants, get a Springer.

I've bred Springers for nearly 30 years now. I'm not trying to sell dogs with this post. I have a 2 year waiting list. I'm just saying that as a breed the Springer has no equal when it comes to pheasants... And yes, that's just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
I admit that I'm biased, but only after well over 40 years of chasing pheasants. We get invaded with pheasant hunters here. Opening weekend is a total fiasco. Hunters come from all over the west as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan. The motels and campgrounds are full every years. I see just about every gundog breed imaginable, of course, with more than a fair number of labs. Do people kill birds with the various breeds? Of course they do. In a good year around here you could shoot your limit with a toy poodle! In a poor year (like the last couple of years), you'd better have a very, very good dog or you're going to get skunked more often than not.

I can only speak about hunting where I hunt (northcentral Montana). Around here I hunt the river bottoms and creek bottoms. It's heavy, nasty cover....cattails, wildrose bushes, weed choked ditches, etc. A pointing breed may very well lock up on point in this cover, but how in the world do you get the bird to fly? Most of the time they will skulk away while the dog is on point. I have a Setter and he's outstanding on Huns and Sharptails, but when it comes to pheasants in heavy cover he's marginal at best. I have a friend who has an outstanding Setter and he kills a ton of pheasants over her, but he hunts more open country.... grassy coulees bordering grain fields, etc., but even then his dog is more of a semi-flusher. She locks up solid on point at times, but more often than not it's more like a creeping point.

Labs can't get through the heavy stuff like a Springer can. They just aren't designed for it. Some of the smaller labs I've seen do ok, but most are larger dogs. Many years ago a fellow moved to town who was bragging up his Lab. I played softball with him and got to know him well, so when pheasant season opened we went out. We hunted this large area of fireweeds that was about chest high. The place was crawling with pheasants, but it was so thick you could barely walk through it. To make a long story short, he and I and his brother shot 9 roosters and my Springer retrieved every single one. She'd weave in, around, and under the weeds and come back with a bird. His lab stared out busting the cover, but tired pretty quickly and after a while he was tagging along behind us. When we got back to the truck the friend pointed to my Springer and said, "My next dog is going to be one of those"!!!

George Hickox, a well known trainer who puts on training seminars, has DVD's on training, etc. says this. If you mostly hunt quail and woodcock, get a pointer. If you mostly hunt waterfowl, get a Lab. If you mostly hunt pheasants, get a Springer.

I've bred Springers for nearly 30 years now. I'm not trying to sell dogs with this post. I have a 2 year waiting list. I'm just saying that as a breed the Springer has no equal when it comes to pheasants... And yes, that's just my opinion.
Bravo,bravo well said!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:

The first few times my dog experienced pheasants that ran instead of holding tight, I ended up walking around trying to flush a bird that was no longer present. I was actually able to see a few birds run away in the brush as he was locked on point. However, my dog learned from this, and if the bird ran, he would move up and repoint on his own. If the bird keeps running, he ends up doing the creeping point that you refer to. And if the bird holds tight until I arrive and then starts running as I move forward to flush it, my dog will creep along behind me. If the bird changes direction and I don't notice, I will see the dog pointing again, and I correct my direction. Breaking point to reset on it's own, or creeping behind a moving bird is frowned upon by purists , and would result in a dog failing a NAVHDA test, but my dog is a hunting dog, not a field trials dog, so I have done nothing to dissuade him. from moving with a running pheasant. AO members arrowdog and sns2 have both hunted over my dog and witnessed him resetting on his own, and they both realize how well this actually works to understand where the bird is, and what it is doing.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM

In heavy cover like Tatonka hunts, I want that bird in the air as soon as possible. Every second my dog spends pointing is a chance for them to run and flush wild.

Scattered cover over a huge area where my dog can move side to side, I enjoy the relaxed experience of following a pointing dog.

Heavy strips of cover that I cannot walk through, I will take the flusher and get some exercise.

And if I didn’t hunt waterfowl, that flusher would be a Springer.
I do, so it’s a Lab.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is exactly the cover I hunt in Alberta for roosters and you can't see any dog point or even keep track of them barely. You're looking for that vegetation parting (like in Jurrasic Park when the raptors show up). I'm going to look hard at Springers.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I am sure your dogs, like everyone else's, are awesome. The problem with a discussion like this is that we are comparing a kennel or even individual dogs with another breed in general.

Are there kennels or individual field trial Labradors that are better than the average Springer? I would think so and the same thing could be said for pointers or other breeds.

Another factor that obviously comes to light is the type of cover that people like to hunt. A field bred Labrador is a bigger and faster dog and would cover a lot of ground if the terrain opens up a bit. He would still never cover the ground of a pointer in open country.

People like to use the expression "All things being equal" but in fact they never are. A dog and hunter are a team. A good hunter understands his dog's limitations and chooses cover accordingly.

I know this thread is based on pheasant hunting ability but in Alberta how many Labradors are trained primarily for pheasants. I would bet most spend the majority of their training and practice time on retrieving whereas the opposite would hold true for pointers and dedicated flushing dogs.

An interesting discussion non the less and with a new puppy in training it is good to see all this dog talk on the forum.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I am sure your dogs, like everyone else's, are awesome. The problem with a discussion like this is that we are comparing a kennel or even individual dogs with another breed in general.

Are there kennels or individual field trial Labradors that are better than the average Springer? I would think so and the same thing could be said for pointers or other breeds.

Another factor that obviously comes to light is the type of cover that people like to hunt. A field bred Labrador is a bigger and faster dog and would cover a lot of ground if the terrain opens up a bit. He would still never cover the ground of a pointer in open country.

People like to use the expression "All things being equal" but in fact they never are. A dog and hunter are a team. A good hunter understands his dog's limitations and chooses cover accordingly.

I know this thread is based on pheasant hunting ability but in Alberta how many Labradors are trained primarily for pheasants. I would bet most spend the majority of their training and practice time on retrieving whereas the opposite would hold true for pointers and dedicated flushing dogs.

An interesting discussion non the less and with a new puppy in training it is good to see all this dog talk on the forum.
My mistake was in how I started this thread. I just wanted to hear how other fat 50 something year old dudes liked hunting pheasants over their labs

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
This is exactly the cover I hunt in Alberta for roosters and you can't see any dog point or even keep track of them barely. You're looking for that vegetation parting (like in Jurrasic Park when the raptors show up). I'm going to look hard at Springers.
The problem can be solved with beepers, bells or GPS units.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM

This is still a good thread though.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My mistake was in how I started this thread. I just wanted to hear how other fat 50 something year old dudes liked hunting pheasants over their labs

We love it.

One thing, if you get a Lab, get a Black one. They don’t stink, fart, shed, listen or suffer from the inferiority complexes Yellows and Chocolates do.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Lots of different dogs with very different personalities and traits out there. Be nice to have one for each type of the hunting that they are best suited for, but, in most cases somewhat impractical. Some will surprise you with how versatile they are, even though that really isn't supposed to be what they do, others are knuckleheads with a one track mind. A whole lot of that can also be the person training the dog. I've made my mistakes in training mine, he isn't perfect, but, I have a lot of fun with him and enjoy the time I have with him. Still a work in progress and always will be, never stop learning about them. I like the challenge of trying to outsmart them and getting them to do your will, making them think they thought of it themselves. Seeing them turn on the hunt mode and watching them do their thing, is a wonder in itself.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 PM

To clarify so that I'm not misunderstood, yes, I firmly believe a well bred, well trained Springer is the best way to go for someone who primarily hunts pheasants. Having said that, I truly love pretty much all dogs. Shoot, I even like those little yappy lap dogs. I've owned many different breeds. Growing up my Dad was a "Hound Man". We ran hounds on coons, rabbits, etc. I've had Chessies, English Setters, a Gorden Setter, and of course the Springers. I have friends and family members who have Labs, Golden Retrievers, etc. and around here cow dogs dominate (Heelers, border collies, etc.), as I'm sure they do in Alberta as well. I have a friend who hunts pheasants with a mutt that appears to be part border collie and who knows what else, but they have a lot of fun and kill a lot of roosters. I like them all...

The bottom line is to get a dog you'll have fun with. Yes, I'm convinced that a Springer is the ultimate pheasant dog, but if a person prefers a pointing breed, a lab, or whatever breed catches your eye, go for it. You'll have fun regardless of whatever breed you decide on. It goes without saying (or should) to research the breed and research the breeders and make sure you're getting a pup with all the health clearances, etc. You're going to have a dog for an average of 12 to 14 years (hopefully), so be sure to do your homework!!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Not even going to debate the abilities of a good springer they are phenomenal pheasant dogs along with many other breeds. Have to give you a rough time about using Bill Tarrant who was a writer not a trainer so he worked with knowledgeable trainers for many breeds. I call him a dog training "ghost" and add another less complementary word that starts with who and ends with re since he has never to my knowledge trained any dog but rather watched the various pros and has written many books about the process.
Here he recommends the best dog in the world "the lab"

https://books.google.ca/books/about/...AJ&redir_esc=y

You are correct in regards to Bill Tarrant being primarily a writer and using professional trainers as the basis for his books and articles. How many dogs he personally trained, I have no idea. In the article I referenced, it was an interview type of article with Tom Ness who is a well known trainer/breeder in North Dakota. I believe Tom primarily runs English Cockers now, but he used to be big into Springers. I think the same could be said about John Wolters, who wrote a series of training books ("Gundog", "Waterdog", "Gamedog", etc.), but from what I understand he only actually trained a couple of dogs, but his books sure were/are popular!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Being a fat 50 something dude, I can speak directly to this. We have a great time and kill all the birds we want. I enjoy Ruffies more than Pheasant and spend a fair amount of time shooting ducks, so far from a Pheasant guru. The release birds are obviously not as savvy wild ones and on some days the guys catch as many as I shoot. Lots of fun though and good exercise. I especially enjoy watching the dogs root two or three roosters out of the cattails after 4 or 5 Pointers and a couple of Springers have thoroughly worked the area.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 PM

I am actually looking forward to having my Drahthaar hunt pheasants with a lab, to see how it works out. I have had my dog hunt cover that labs had hunted just prior, but the real test will be having them hunt side by side. It should be interesting.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:47 AM

OK, this is not intended to end this discussion.. debate is always good, but I found this in one of my books, "American Roughshooting" but Ed Roggenkamp. This is not just his opinion. He collaborated with many trainers, hunters, breeders, etc. in writing this book. If you haven't seen it, by the way, it's really a great book and covers most everything under the sun regarding gundogs and bird hunting...everything from where to hunt, patterning a shotgun, the various upland birds, gundog breeds, ethics, hunting gear, training, interviews with trainers and breeders, etc... It's not breed specific.

At any rate, for what it's worth here's a page from his book on the best breeds for different upland birds and waterfowl. They've rated the different breeds from 0 to 5 on their effectiveness on each species with 5 being the best and 0 being the worst..

Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
OK, this is not intended to end this discussion.. debate is always good, but I found this in one of my books, "American Roughshooting" but Ed Roggenkamp. This is not just his opinion. He collaborated with many trainers, hunters, breeders, etc. in writing this book. If you haven't seen it, by the way, it's really a great book and covers most everything under the sun regarding gundogs and bird hunting...everything from where to hunt, patterning a shotgun, the various upland birds, gundog breeds, ethics, hunting gear, training, interviews with trainers and breeders, etc... It's not breed specific.

At any rate, for what it's worth here's a page from his book on the best breeds for different upland birds and waterfowl. They've rated the different breeds from 0 to 5 on their effectiveness on each species with 5 being the best and 0 being the worst..

Of course this is opinion.. It may be a collection of several people's opinions, but it is still opinion. Anything that can't be measured using instruments, is opinion. A waterfowl outfitter whose dog I shot over for our NAVHDA tests last summer uses nothing but WPGs for hunting geese. I thought that this was odd, so I asked him why he didn't use labs or chesapeakes, and his answer was, that he wouldn't use the GWPs for his business, if they weren't good at hunting geese. Perhaps he trains them differently than other people, but he claims they do a great job, which certainly doesn't agree with the 1 on the chart you posted,

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-11-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM

Interesting chart. I agree completely with the Lab and GWP ratings from my experience with them.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 AM

But the small Lab I have now would not score a 5 for geese.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Of course this is opinion.. It may be a collection of several people's opinions, but it is still opinion. Anything that can't be measured using instruments, is opinion. A waterfowl outfitter whose dog I shot over for our NAVHDA tests last summer uses nothing but WPGs for hunting geese. I thought that this was odd, so I asked him why he didn't use labs or chesapeakes, and his answer was, that he wouldn't use the GWPs for his business, if they weren't good at hunting geese. Perhaps he trains them differently than other people, but he claims they do a great job, which certainly doesn't agree with the 1 on the chart you posted,
They don't score 1...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM

1 is crazy for a GWP on geese.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I would have said 1 is crazy for Britts on ducks, too. Mine loves duck hunting, but he's so skinny that we don't do ducks much after Nov 1...just to avoid hypothermia.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
More than capable physically, but they would drive me crazy as a result of being bored to death with all the waiting. At least the one’s I have had.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
According to that chart the GWP scored 2.

It was the WPG that scored 1
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
According to that chart the GWP scored 3.

It was the WPG that scored 1
Still crazy. I'm so blind I feel like Mr Magoo. Lol.