Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think it was just about as well thought out as Elks comment was.
Sorry, your comment was devoid of any logic.

Elk had a solid, reasonable point.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Holy comolly. Nutbar post of the month. Crazy, crazy stuff. Better that you move on, find a forum that fits. Maybe Trump Junior has got something for you.
The sad fact is that these days students are becoming more and more dependent on having someone else do things for them, instead of doing things for themselves Yes they have a better understanding of how to use a computer or a phone, but for the most part, they have less life skills than previous students. They are easily convinced to join causes and protest, yet most of them don't even understand what they are protesting. I guess that it is the product of both parents working and the kids playing video games and depending on computers to learn from in place of their parents, but from what I have seen from our RAP students, summer students, and apprentices, most are a lot more clueless about life skills , and have much poorer work ethics , and much less motivation, than they did 30 years ago. We still get some good ones, but we have a lot that are more interested in playing with their phone than learning life skills or a trade.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The sad fact is that these days students are becoming more and more dependent on having someone else do things for them, instead of doing things for themselves Yes they have a better understanding of how to use a computer or a phone, but for the most part, they have less life skills than previous students. They are easily convinced to join causes and protest, yet most of them don't even understand what they are protesting. I guess that it is the product of both parents working and the kids playing video games and depending on computers to learn from in place of their parents, but from what I have seen from our RAP students, summer students, and apprentices, most are a lot more clueless about life skills , and have much poorer work ethics , and much less motivation, than they did 30 years ago. We still get some good ones, but we have a lot that are more interested in playing with their phone than learning life skills or a trade.
Kids today are no different than any other generation.... even yours. The parents and grandparents of your generation thought you were all useless and lazy too.

Just an fyi for those of you living in a cave. Using technology is a life skill these days. Considerably more important than knowing how to rebuild a carb or set a snare.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Kids today are no different than any other generation.... even yours. The parents and grandparents of your generation thought you were all useless and lazy too.

Just an fyi for those of you living in a cave. Using technology is a life skill these days. Considerably more important than knowing how to rebuild a carb or set a snare.
When I grew up, there was no such thing as video game addiction. And yes it is now recognized as an addiction to the point where some people miss school or work as a result. When I was a kid we had real friends that we actually sociized with in person, rather than Facebook friends that we had never met. When I started working, nobody had to keep telling us to put our phone away and get back to work. I didn't need a phone or computer to do basic addition or multiplication, or to calculate change. If the vehicle had a flat tire, we changed it, rather than having to call someone to do it. And despite the fact that we had easy access to firearms including AR-15s with 30 round magazines, there was no need for gun control, and shootings were extremely rare. And we didn't have break ins every week either. So yes, things have changed..

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-22-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
When I grew up, there was no such thing as video game addiction. And yes it is now recognized as an addiction to the point where some people miss school or work as a result. When I was a kid we had real friends that we actually sociized with in person, rather than Facebook friends that we had never met. When I started working, nobody had to keep telling us to put our phone away and get back to work. I didn't need a phone or computer to do basic addition or multiplication, or to calculate change. If the vehicle had a flat tire, we changed it, rather than having to call someone to do it. And despite the fact that we had easy access to firearms including AR-15s with 30 round magazines, there was no need for gun control, and shootings were extremely rare. And we didn't have break ins every week either. So yes, things have changed..
You frame things like somehow, in your time, your generation, you (and I mean collectively) were better. Its delusion. Here is a pathway through you and your generation. These are the seeds you sowed. There was no glorious before. Everything is a product of previous generations. Your choices for good or bad got you and everyone else here. Your kids, your grand kids, your Trump and Trudeau. If shootings are more prevalent your to blame. The only group your cant blame are the kids.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
You frame things like somehow, in your time, your generation, you (and I mean collectively) were better. Its delusion. Here is a pathway through you and your generation. These are the seeds you sowed. There was no glorious before. Everything is a product of previous generations. Your choices for good or bad got you and everyone else here. Your kids, your grand kids, your Trump and Trudeau. If shootings are more prevalent your to blame. The only group your cant blame are the kids.
Ok?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really? I think it's because society has lost it's morals. Kids now days are eating tide pods and all sorts of stupid crap. You can only blame SOME parents.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter guy View Post
Really? I think it's because society has lost it's morals. Kids now days are eating tide pods and all sorts of stupid crap. You can only blame SOME parents.
how did it lose its morals if only a few parents got it wrong. if the previous generations rocked, who screwed it up?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
how did it lose its morals if only a few parents got it wrong. if the previous generations rocked, who screwed it up?
Honestly I can't say it all or I will get banned, but this new generation of kids look to the government for handouts in every way possible. You kick god out the schools, government, and family and there's the product. It's a sad sad world, we should be turning around and going back in time.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
And then you grew up and changed the world into what it is today and these kids are dealing with it.

A 13 year old kid is not responsible for the state of the world. I'm assuming you're aware of this. I see you bashing them but I assume you're aware it's the generations leading up to right now that set the stage.

I don't know when you grew up. I suspect quite some time ago.

My kids are growing up with a very different view of the world than I did.

Racism is a thing my kids can't wrap their heads around. They really don't understand it. Same as treating someone different because of their sexual orientation.

The world is changing and that's ok.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Honestly I can't say it all or I will get banned, but this new generation of kids look to the government for handouts in every way possible. You kick god out the schools, government, and family and there's the product. It's a sad sad world, we should be turning around and going back in time.
Thoughts and prayers is the answer.

I'm perfectly happy with you practicing your religion in your home leave it out of the schools thank you very much.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 AM

Dont think anyone has mentioned it but I believe that the problem in the U.S. is not going to be fixed by "gun control"! You cant change the number of arms accumulated over the last hundred years. Guns are there to stay! I think the problem is in their healthcare.
The people committing these acts are sick,very mentally sick! If they had medical support for those in need then maybe these early childhood problems would be diagnosed and taken care of instead of being swept under the rug like they dont exist!!
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
The unpopular fact.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
x2. Judeo-Christian values are what built Canada and the US, but are now scoffed at and mocked. If religion doesn't drive someone's morals then what does??
Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
x2. Judeo-Christian values are what built Canada and the US, but are now scoffed at and mocked. If religion doesn't drive someone's morals then what does??
Social engineering is the biggest problem. Look at Ontario schools for an example.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Use this as a simple measuring stick to determine if things were better or worse 50 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Obviously less school shootings was a better situation. And I do agree that parents are a huge part of the problem. Today, many parents put more emphasis on purchasing material goods for their children, and giving them the things that we never had. When I grew up, we had far fewer material goods, but our parents spent much more time with us. And if I got into trouble at school, my worst fear was what would happen when I got home. My parents supported the teachers, instead of blaming them for any issues that the students have. When I was young, the legal system treated criminals like criminals, and victims like victims, whereas today the criminals are treated like victims.
So whose fault is it that society has changed? Yes it is for the most part the way that children were brought up, and the adults did make those choices for them. Today young people's values are different, and regardless of whose fault it is, those different values are creating most of the issues that we are facing.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
Dont think anyone has mentioned it but I believe that the problem in the U.S. is not going to be fixed by "gun control"! You cant change the number of arms accumulated over the last hundred years. Guns are there to stay! I think the problem is in their healthcare.
The people committing these acts are sick,very mentally sick! If they had medical support for those in need then maybe these early childhood problems would be diagnosed and taken care of instead of being swept under the rug like they dont exist!!
I believe you are correct ...that the school shootings issue cannot be “fixed” by gun control (alone) ... but it should not be ruled out of the equation. The student movement is on to a couple of “gun” factors. First, the ease of obtaining rapid fire long guns that are easily obtainable, and secondly, high capacity magazines for those particular long guns that ... once the shooting starts, results in an arguably higher injury/mortality count.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM

I think a better way to phrase this is that kid's haven't changed that much, the world has. Elkhunter, if they had powerful computers that fit into your pants pocket back when you were a kid, the exact same proportion of kids back then, would become addicted, as kids now, that get addicted.

You and I didn't get addicted to our phones back then....cause we didn't have phones back then. If we had, how do you know you wouldn't have been the poster child for "phone addiction" ?

The old adage that past a certain age we all start to think everybody younger than us are idiots and lazy, and that the world is going to hell in a hand basket is pretty true.

We complain that kids are more idealistic and naiive than we old farts, yeah so what, that is how it has always been, and needs to stay that way to balance out our cynicism and grumpiness. In trade we balance out their goofiness with some pragmatism and experience. That balance has been there for as long as we've been here.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
If you're moral merely because you're threatened with hell if you misbehave....

I'm moral because it helps me and other people get along better and be more successful and supportive of each other.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
I think a better way to phrase this is that kid's haven't changed that much, the world has. Elkhunter, if they had powerful computers that fit into your pants pocket back when you were a kid, the exact same proportion of kids back then, would become addicted, as kids now, that get addicted.

You and I didn't get addicted to our phones back then....cause we didn't have phones back then. If we had, how do you know you wouldn't have been the poster child for "phone addiction" ?

The old adage that past a certain age we all start to think everybody younger than us are idiots and lazy, and that the world is going to hell in a hand basket is pretty true.

We complain that kids are more idealistic and naiive than we old farts, yeah so what, that is how it has always been, and needs to stay that way to balance out our cynicism and grumpiness. In trade we balance out their goofiness with some pragmatism and experience. That balance has been there for as long as we've been here.
If we had computers and smart phones in my day, and if we were told that being spanked was child abuse back then, we would have turned out the same, but the point is that we didn't have those things when I was a kid, so we didn't have those issues.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Thoughts and prayers is the answer.

I'm perfectly happy with you practicing your religion in your home leave it out of the schools thank you very much.
Not surprising your belief on this as well. Yes get god out because saying the Lord's Prayer in school was a real problem, almost as big as school shootings to some. It would help if they taught a little on god in schools instead of all the garbage they push in schools. I could say the real facts but I'd be banned. Technology has also helped erode society, we are getting so obsessed with phones. Also we think we are getting more smarter when we are getting more stupid. You made my point about sexual orientation kids are being taught about, look down kids.... Your either a boy or a girl, whatever your plumbing says... What a sick world today.

Last edited by Hunter guy; 02-23-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Just a guess here, but maybe they might be protesting having to hide under a desk or in a janitor's closet whilst their classmates are being slaughtered.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
If we had computers and smart phones in my day, and if we were told that being spanked was child abuse back then, we would have turned out the same, but the point is that we didn't have those things when I was a kid, so we didn't have those issues.
We had comic books, and cartoons, and rock 'n' roll music, and movies, and tv.

Socrates said it best when he said "Kids, now adays. This place is going in the toilet"
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 AM

And for every kid that was just 'spanked' there were lots of kids who got the hell beat out of them and it was still considered good parenting. 2 of those boys live across the street from me. Everybody knew what was going on, nothing was ever done to stop the 'ol man. Miserable kids, bullies, the older one went down the drain and was murdered in his 20's.

Back then kids rebelled, got addicted to alcohol, became criminals. There were 40 year olds living in their parents basements 50 years ago too. Nothing changes that much, it is just more of "kids these days" attitude that is always true, but also means nothing at the same time.

I see just as many kids working their asses off in high school, to get into university engineering, they are taking 2nd year university level calculus. ****, I could barely pass that when I was in second year university, never mind highs cool. Kids, working and hoping like hell they can get work for their apprenticeships. But yeah, from my 'ol perch I catch myself thinking they are all lazy dullards addicted to their phones, but then I catch myself.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default The rules etc.

Badger Badger like you I am offended by the idea
that somehow religion is the driving force behind
human morality ....just the opposite I would say.
I'm limited in my rebuttal , can we say I am moral
because I am censored .....similar , to say the least.
The mainstream media is saying , there is no gun problem
just people problem ......interesting point about the armed
security right outside the shooting area but did not enter .
Would you like to be that guy , There is a plethora of reasons
For what is wrong , none are gun related , all people problems .
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not surprising your belief on this as well. Yes get god out because saying the Lord's Prayer in school was a real problem, almost as big as school shootings to some. It would help if they taught a little on god in schools instead of all the garbage they push in schools. I could say the real facts but I'd be banned. Technology has also helped erode society, we are getting so obsessed with phones. Also we think we are getting more smarter when we are getting more stupid. You made my point about sexual orientation kids are being taught about, look down kids.... Your either a boy or a girl, whatever your plumbing says... What a sick world today.

Case in point.

Ever considered being a motivational speaker?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^I like this. There is however a path that children take on their own. It's called free will. We are born with it. But yes, collectively, we are to blame for the state we find ourselves in.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Case in point.

Ever considered being a motivational speaker?
No I will leave it to you and your wisdom, your probably the smartest one on here anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Just a guess here, but maybe they might be protesting having to hide under a desk or in a janitor's closet whilst their classmates are being slaughtered.
I am not only referring to school shootings, but to all of the other causes, such as PETA, protesting pipelines, cutting trees, and the students that join ANTIFA, and ISIS.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again, well said.

When morals decay, how can we expect any benefits?

What was good is evil, and what was evil is good.
Closed Thread