Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Hip Surgery part 2

Hey all you hip surgery survivors.... Lol

So I started a thread back on Feb 23/20 this past late winter with good news for my total hip replacement. Was scheduled to be done by end of Marchish, all blood work, EKG,X-rays, dental all done and ready to go, sigh but enter Uncle Covid to kybosh all that and back to the drawing board. Like square one,no list, no nothing.

Well, ok.. I get it, things are not as they seem, heck, can't even find toilet paper let alone an OR and a surgeon. So close... so close...

Fast forward to about August I think? Tried to get the ball rolling again after AHS opened up some ORs, for surgeries.

To my surprise, I get a call to meet a surgeon in Reddeer on Aug 12 . Now we go through all the motions an such, he says I will try and fast track you, could be up to next March, but hang in there. Well ok, I'm back on the list... but hey Doc, throw me down on that cancellation list too please?

He's like yeah, for sure, but don't hold your breath, after this $$$$ show, no one is giving up a spot like ever.

Phone rings Aug 22,we have an opening Oct 22, can you make it??

Your darn rights I can, tell me what time!!!. I'm getting my whole full left hip replacement Thursday morning at 6am.

A long two year or more wait,and I'm so ready!!
Winter wood shed full to the roof, snowblower ready,I have more medical equipment in the house than I've ever seen!!
Been practicing in and out of bed,walker, toilet, shower, I am ready.

My patient wife has been so great, although I'm sure she will be ready to boot me out the door as soon as possible ..

I went back on the thread I made earlier, and read all the great advice and tips when in recovery mode. Also all the PMs I received a couple months ago, re- read them as well. Thanks for all that replied!!

Can't wait to have this done, and get back to normal. Or as normal as I can get.

And to those on a list, keep on em, more surgeries are being added, but more covid cases are increasing, so all I can say is best of luck to all of you on the waiting list.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Good luck! Hope all goes as well as it can and you get back on your feet as soon as possible!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Good luck! Hope all goes as well as it can and you get back on your feet as soon as possible!
X2
Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Hey all you hip surgery survivors.... Lol

So I started a thread back on Feb 23/20 this past late winter with good news for my total hip replacement. Was scheduled to be done by end of Marchish, all blood work, EKG,X-rays, dental all done and ready to go, sigh but enter Uncle Covid to kybosh all that and back to the drawing board. Like square one,no list, no nothing.
SNIP

I have a question for you. IFyou had the financial ability to go private surgery, would you jump at it ?? Asking for a friend
Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I have a question for you. IFyou had the financial ability to go private surgery, would you jump at it ?? Asking for a friend
Well that if .. if I had the money , is a lot of money.

Am I dying, no.
Can I still get around? Sure, just major pain and walking aids for sure.

I will say, no I would not go out of Alberta to have it done. Obvious reasons for right now, but even before covid,you had better have your ducks in a row when stuff goes south, as in insurance, couple extra days in a hospital, or extra surgery you might end up selling the farm.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well that if .. if I had the money , is a lot of money.

Am I dying, no.
Can I still get around? Sure, just major pain and walking aids for sure.

I will say, no I would not go out of Alberta to have it done. Obvious reasons for right now, but even before covid,you had better have your ducks in a row when stuff goes south, as in insurance, couple extra days in a hospital, or extra surgery you might end up selling the farm.
Thank you
Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Did you mean privately in AB, or across the line or Ocean?

I believe you meant in AB?
Sorry about that.... when I looked across the line it was 20g

Never looked in AB
Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Did you mean privately in AB, or across the line or Ocean?

I believe you meant in AB?
Sorry about that.... when I looked across the line it was 20g

Never looked in AB

20g in Canadian, or US dollars?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 PM

Good luck with surgery.

I’m going on 18 mths for my other knee replacement surgery, and Am on cancellation list. Family phyician guess is 2 yrs wait to be the norm.

I would explore private surgery, but would really Like some backup options to cover unforeseen complications which for sure would be big$$$.

I have had both a knee & a hip replacement & the hip was much easier to recover from.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
20g in Canadian, or US dollars?
I believe that was US denom.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:43 AM

I too am getting my hip replaced ,oct 29..Can hardly wait,been 3 years.Pre surgery talk tommorrow at Rockyview.Good luck with yours Hayseed.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Hayseed and tallieho...best of luck....let us know how things went please....I have been hobbling around for two years and one year since seeing the surgeon to have'em say yup it's kaput...right hip....seen surgeon last week so hoping things will get going.....but not until after november....wife says bs if they call you for today at noon your arse is there...yes ma'am.

Us tuff guys gotta get repaired to get back to being awesome again eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2020, 07:01 AM

I had my right hip done 4 wks ago. waited 14 months (was in denial for 2 yrs before than). even with the covid delays. Got a call from the surgeon for the consult and 2 wks after scheduled the surgery.
Still hobbling around but happy it got done, pain I had is gone now just discomfort from the trauma from the surgery. Even the knee pain I had disappeared.
Congrats on you surgery date. Good Luck
Old 10-21-2020, 07:11 AM

I'm just waiting for call to get my right hip replaced. Bloodwork and consultation is done. Looking forward to getting it done. Never had a lot of pain with it just a lot of discomfort. I have trouble sleeping unless I take arthritis Tylenol or sleeping pills.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbuilder View Post
I'm just waiting for call to get my right hip replaced. Bloodwork and consultation is done. Looking forward to getting it done. Never had a lot of pain with it just a lot of discomfort. I have trouble sleeping unless I take arthritis Tylenol or sleeping pills.
Its amazing how your body deals with it eh...first it is pain...then that goes to discomfort and pretty much becomes the norm...hobbling around but determined still. Good luck on the surgery...post up your experience too as I am sure many are waiting for a similar surgery....at first I was in denial...what?...then finally had enough and said this has to stop lets get it done....

Old 10-21-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbuilder View Post
Boat builder; Your lucky if that's all your taking for pain relief.Tylenol 3's ,lasted about a week,Tamarol about 6 moths,on Ocycet now 5 of those min.a day.
What really bloody hurt,is when they aspirated the joint.Looking for fluid.The procedure,was ultra sound guided needle,by a tech.If you have ever,felt like you were electro cuted.That's what it feels like when,the SOB,hit the bone,with the needlle.5 times ..Nurse was crying at the end,of my treatment.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:47 PM

My dad just had his left hip done on Monday morning. His consultation was back in January. He's 75, been limping pretty good the last few years and quite a bit of pain the last year or two. Drove from NE BC to the Okanagan to have it done, as he wanted the anterior type done as it's much less invasive going in through the front, and a much quicker healing time.

He did the same thing as you Hayseed, firewood all cut up and outside of door, boxes of kindling, snowblower, tractor all things tied up around the farm. Had walker, crutches and canes lined up. After his surgery, he walked from the recovery room to the car with just a cane, as he still has a pretty strong upper body. My mom sends me a video of on Monday evening of him walking around the room, no cane, no crutches, no limp. May have had something to do with the pain killers, as he was a fair bit more tender yesterday, but talked to him this morning and has less pain already than the day before. He's moving around pretty good and says he has more range of motion on that leg than he can remember for a long time. He's hoping that they can make the drive back home on the weekend, depending on how things go.

He says that he's been sleeping pretty good for about 3 hours at a time which didn't happen that often before, and says that the cryo-cuff (I think that's what it's called) on his hip has helped quite a bit with the swelling. I think that he takes one pain killer (Tramadol) every 6 hours now and will probably wean himself off fairly quickly as he's not a fan of any pharmaceuticals.

With the anterior surgery, there wasn't even any stitches/staples, just some glue and some kind of glue-on dressing over the incision.

Most importantly he did get his elk three weeks before his surgery, so the freezer is full of meat

Good luck and heal quick.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM

Love hearing how much it changes people's lives, and so for the better!!

Good luck to all !!!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:22 PM

Thanks for all who shared their experience with hip & or knee replacement.

Lots of very good stories and comments on this common health issue which becomes an issue to be dealt with as your body wears out.

Your stories brought back a lot of memories as I have had both a hip and knee replaced and am patiently waiting for the other hip.

With the knee I went through the gambit of painkillers to help ease the discomfort Even had to go back under anesthetic while the surgeon relaxed the ligaments that would not respond to therapy. But Eventually the knee mended, and while still having some challenges in lateral movement of that knee there is no pain. So will cure was rocky road the end results make it worthwhile.

The hip was different. tried x-ray guided Cortisone shot. That was a bad session of pain on the x-ray table, and ended up passing out, falling face first onto The tile floor, Heart stopped and spent the next 4 hrs in ICU before they discharged me. The hip surgery went great, they have some awesome pain killers in hospital. Don’t know what the nurses gave me but felt very relaxed. While on hospital bed I knew that this hip replacement had worked out. Off pain killers in a week, walking pretty near normal soon thereafter. 5 years later that replaced hip is still trouble free.

To ease pain and allow me to sleep have gone tHrough store bought Tylenol & am now on Tylenol 3, which doc says take 1 or 2 whenever pain.

Can still walk slowly in straight line ok, but no lateral movement and hill climbing is too difficult. So did manage ok in pheasant season. Thank Goodness for a patient pointer dog.

The pain & suffering of surgery is worth. It & is necessary to bring back a quality of life

Good luck to all
Old 10-21-2020, 07:35 PM

Good luck to you guys needing the new hip, a big part of our happiness is mobility.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM

All of you guys/gals getting hip surgery.I just did my pre admission.My god it's no wonder why ,our health care is the highest in Canada.even though,i di all of what the asked,pre today.Alot of it they did again.Ordered up a neck/spine xray & cardiology test at another clinic.Thursday is my day.Sure hope it goes well.They definitely covered ALL the bases.Dental,for godsakes,i thought they .Weren't going to believe me. Dot your i cross your teeth,legs,fingers......
Old 10-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
All of you guys/gals getting hip surgery.I just did my pre admission.My god it's no wonder why ,our health care is the highest in Canada.even though,i di all of what the asked,pre today.Alot of it they did again.Ordered up a neck/spine xray & cardiology test at another clinic.Thursday is my day.Sure hope it goes well.They definitely covered ALL the bases.Dental,for godsakes,i thought they .Weren't going to believe me. Dot your i cross your teeth,legs,fingers......
you will be fine....post up after your bionic hip is installed...

Old 10-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
you will be fine....post up after your bionic hip is installed...
Guys/Gals Thanks for all of your support.Lord knows ,we all need some extra ..
Thanks again Will do
Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hayseed and tallieho...best of luck....let us know how things went please....I have been hobbling around for two years and one year since seeing the surgeon to have'em say yup it's kaput...right hip....seen surgeon last week so hoping things will get going.....but not until after november....wife says bs if they call you for today at noon your arse is there...yes ma'am.

Us tuff guys gotta get repaired to get back to being awesome again eh!
58thecat; You asked for an update,after surgery.Here it goes.God what a relief,got home on monday[5days] in hospital.You pretty well have to pass the physio,before your release.Up & down stairs using at least 1 crutch.The hardest[for me],has been getting in bed.No drop & roll,like i did for 3 years.The lower your bed is to the floor,i believe is the key.Mine is high on my thigh[5'-8"] tall.Meds & there's lots,were burning my guts up.Tums remedied it,but you can't get them from the nurse's.They did the Spinal freeze,which after effects left me without the no use of 1&2.3 days of no,no1.Resulted in numerous catheter R&R of it [4 times],No2 was tougher,[eat fiber] 4days without bloat you up good.Walked to the end of my driveway vertical,with a 2 wheel walker,about 200' in total for walking outside.Going to lenthen it this morning,before the snow flies.

Kenney;Mentioned that he may have to stop,surgeries again.For those still waiting,i hope he doesn't do it. Take care all. I no i'll really enjoy ,tying flies & casting a line after 3 years...
Old 11-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Glad to hear all the success,mine not going so good I’m one of the rare ones that got infection have Been cut open 4 times in the last 18 months and still just have a temp hip joint in hopefully the last one and the next surgery I will get the Actual joint put in
Old 11-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Having just had one replaced, I hope you were diligent with the preop exercises. Makes a world of difference to recovery times.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Hip surgery

Congrats your surgery, and I hope you have a good recovery. I had my shoulder done 10 days ago. I suffered with it for over two years before they finally got it done. Ended up getting an infection in my elbow about 5 days ago, but they have been treating it with IV antibiotics, and will continue to do so for the next few days. It seems to be working pretty good. Doc says it could have been bad if it was not addressed immediately. They did decompression surgery, but when they got in there, they found that my bicep tendon was detached. I do exercises four times a day. They were kind of miserable at first, but are getting better. The infected elbow didn’t make them any easier though. Once this shoulder is completely healed, then they are going to do the other shoulder. Again, good luck in your recovery.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Howdy everyone, haven't been on here a whole bunch since I've been home, but today marks two weeks since my surgery.

Went really well, I mean I've never had major surgery before, so it's quite amazing what your body does in the healing process.

So my day on the slab went like this. At Reddeer Hospital at six am. Then all the paperwork begins, get a room, meet my nurses, anithesiolagist ( sp? ) all that good stuff.

In OR at nine am, recovery at eleven am, and back in my room at eleven thirty.
Went really well. Was awake through most of it, saws, drills, the hammering of the ball joint into my femur... Lol, remember that the most...!!! Highly recommend the spinal for sure!!

Back to room, lunch, had a nap and nurses and physio gals had me up at three thirty pm with walker, and out for a casual stroll.
Definatley worst part is getting in and outta bed, as sitting in a chair becomes uncomfortable within half an hour, but you adapt quickly.

My stay was only two nights, in and out, which is kinda a blur almost as the meds you receive are quite potent. I took pills for pain the first week at home then quit, wanted to get outa the haze, mine were Oxys so, highly addictive for sure.

I'm at the point now where the muscles are healing so excersize is crucial. I have a couple really good days, then like yesterday was brutal, so sore, muscles soooo stiff.. was a total ice day, couple three laps around my yard with my walker, then back icing. Today is 100 percent better.

Anyways, sorry for so long of a write up, happy it's done so can get back to so many things I haven't been able to do for years.

One more thing I would like to add, the whole thing from start to finish, and even my follow up appointments, with all the Professionals like nurses, doctors, physio peeps, people who bring food, fresh pillows etc were beyond top notch.

I'm sure there are tons of horror stories no doubt, but mine is for sure is not one of them.

Again good luck to all of you in the bullpen waiting for the call up!!

Old 11-05-2020, 10:58 AM

Great News Hayseed. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

BW
Old 11-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Great news on your successful surgery Hayseed. Sounds like you are well on the way to recovery.

My hip surgery experience was similar to yours, and after 4 years no problems at all. Also Had to rely on the catheter treatment, and had serious constipation. While I blame the drugs for these issues, got to love the uphoria sensation when they kick in.

On the other hand My first knee surgery was not a pleasant experience.

Currently Waiting for my other knee replacement surgery, 18 months since approved.

Currently Take Tylenol 3 to help with pain.

Good luck with the rehab.