Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

The Yukon got this one right:

Yellowknife Shooting Club takes aim at feds’ plans to let cities ban handguns

A federal government proposal to allow municipalities to ban handguns isn’t realistic, according to the head of the Yellowknife Shooting Club.

“A city-by-city gun ban would be wholly unworkable,” said Scott Cairns, the club’s president. “This has been recognized even by jurisdictions who were initially in favour of such legislation. It would be terrible legislation that would be tied up in courts forever.”

The Globe and Mail reported on Tuesday that the federal government is going ahead with its plan to allow municipalities to issue federal handgun bans as per its throne speech promises last month.

The national newspaper also followed up with a scathing editorial stating that the move by the federal government was “political cowardice,” and not something that local governments and mayors across the country want to deal with.

Cairns said it would be more effective to use resources to lower violent crime by giving police additional resources to tackle gang-related violence, follow up on court-issued firearms prohibitions related to past criminal activity and prevent the legal system from using firearms-related charges as fodder for plea bargains in criminal cases.

https://nnsl.com/yellowknifer/yellow...-ban-handguns/
Old 10-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Old 10-18-2020, 08:10 AM

Sorry, this isn’t about Canada but to me its an interesting little piece of trivia. More than I’d have expected since there’s so many other choices out there, though many owners are likely collectors.

18+ million AR-15s in the US.

Quote:

“the current “low end” estimate of privately-owned AR-15s in the United States is 18 million.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...y-already-own/
Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Sorry, this isn’t about Canada but to me its an interesting little piece of trivia. More than I’d have expected since there’s so many other choices out there, though many owners are likely collectors.

18+ million AR-15s in the US.
I have a friend who lives in Texas, just outside Huston. He isn't a collector or hunter or a competitor. He enjoys target shooting and considers being armed part of a common sense home defense and personal defense strategy. He has an AR-15 as well as a handgun or two and a shotgun.

Everyone he knows has the same. He says pretty much every house on his street has at least one AR-15 in it.

Now Texas isn't representative of the US as a whole and his observations about his own community are quite speculative, but 18 million doesn't seem to be an unreasonable estimate in my opinion.

Colin
Old 10-19-2020, 08:09 AM

Default Trudeau ain't that popular in the East any more, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
It sickening to think that he will get in again. Never ever underestimate the stupidity of the general public. Easterners will vote that idiot in again no matter the amount of damage he has done to our country. Makes me want to gag.
I lived out West for many years, but had to move back East when my parents got sick many years ago (my brother was head of I.T. for the Stampede for several years and still works in downtown Cowtown).

I live about 50 KM north of 'Trawna. I'm in a fairly prosperous suburb, and I can tell you from talking to many of the people living in my area that Trudeau is anything but popular primarily due to the many scandals - WE, the incident with the navy brass, etc. Blair's name is often spoken of with a curse, too. I haven't heard a single positive from anybody in my very large set of acquaintances, not "friends" as such, about the Liberals in quite a long time.

Plus, though you may not believe it, there are 10's of 1000's of hunters/shooters in the GTA as well (Al Flaherty's gun shop does VERY well within the Toronto boundaries, plus Tenda, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc.). Every gun club/range has a multi-year waiting list. Yeah, the downtown snowflakes are numerous too, but those don't make up the bulk of the Southern Ontario voters.

I'd like to think, and I believe, that the Lieberals will not only NOT be able to form the next government, but with a new Conservative leader (Scheer wasn't electable in the last go-round, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory) as long as O'Toole doesn't step on his crank in his golf shoes we may very well be rid of Trudeau in the next election.

O.N.G.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewGuy View Post

I'd like to think, and I believe, that the Lieberals will not only NOT be able to form the next government, but with a new Conservative leader (Scheer wasn't electable in the last go-round, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory) as long as O'Toole doesn't step on his crank in his golf shoes we may very well be rid of Trudeau in the next election.
O.N.G.
I wish I could believe this. However, I do not think that the people you describe are in the majority. If they were, Justin would not be Prime Minister now.

Pierre Trudeau was elected as Prime Minister by the people of Ontario and Quebec even after he had asked the Prairies "Why should I sell your wheat?" and introduced the National Energy Policy to control the oil industry and funnel money from Alberta back to Ontario. Justin Trudeau has the same appeal to the favoured provinces and, I fear, will be re-elected in the next Federal election. There are too many people in Ontario and Quebec who like their equalization money and don't understand the firearms issues.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Reading this article in Toronto Star (leftist report). Looks like she wants to study Rural man, and correlate why men in rural areas, have higher suicide rates. She trying to link the amount of gun ownership by Rural man (34%)to suicide vs urban man (1,5%)to suicide. She doesn’t come out say we should take guns away from us Rural peasants, however.........
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...udy-finds.html
Old 10-20-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I wish I could believe this. However, I do not think that the people you describe are in the majority. If they were, Justin would not be Prime Minister now.

Pierre Trudeau was elected as Prime Minister by the people of Ontario and Quebec even after he had asked the Prairies "Why should I sell your wheat?" and introduced the National Energy Policy to control the oil industry and funnel money from Alberta back to Ontario. Justin Trudeau has the same appeal to the favoured provinces and, I fear, will be re-elected in the next Federal election. There are too many people in Ontario and Quebec who like their equalization money and don't understand the firearms issues.
That "equalization " money is drying up more every day. With the highest unemployment in the country, there's a lot less Albertans paying income tax $$ into the eastern money pit.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:12 PM
Banned

Arrow

Trudeau Liberals flirt with triggering election as tories announce 'anti-corruption committee' plans

Erin O'Toole called for an independent investigation by a new "anti-corruption" committee into the WE Charity scandal, something the Liberals say could spark an election.

"After a prorogation, after relentless filibusters, piles on piles of delay and political games, and now, the Liberals are threatening an election in the middle of a pandemic to avoid any further scrutiny," said O'Toole.

O'Toole called the situation a "desperate cover-up," saying that the Conservatives will be introducing a motion to establish a committee to look into "the various ethical problems has in the handing out of COVID-19 contracts to close friends and family members."

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaki...mmittee-plans/
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
I have a friend who lives in Texas, just outside Huston. He isn't a collector or hunter or a competitor. He enjoys target shooting and considers being armed part of a common sense home defense and personal defense strategy. He has an AR-15 as well as a handgun or two and a shotgun.

Everyone he knows has the same. He says pretty much every house on his street has at least one AR-15 in it.

Now Texas isn't representative of the US as a whole and his observations about his own community are quite speculative, but 18 million doesn't seem to be an unreasonable estimate in my opinion.

Colin
And like all old military rifles...they hunt with them on grand scale down there now, they aren't just a defense option. Fantastic hunting rigs for hogs and coyotes, even whitetails and guys use lots for deer as well, and also guys in Alaska starting to use them for game up there. 6.5 Grendel AR for Dahl Sheep anyone?
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

It is up to the opposition parties to have a leader candidate people across Canada would vote for. With Scheer the conservatives stuck their own foot in their mouths and he as someone said snagged defeat from the jaws of victory. Maybe cities wanting to ban on their own is the way it should go. Maybe provinces should be pushing to make gun control provincial . Then the east can do whatever they want and west can as well. If cities ban I am sure surrounding communities would not so that people would leave city to live outside the ban area. So maybe we need to lobby our provincial governments to take control of gun laws. Maybe all western provinces should get together and do that.
Quebec has a registry. How does that affect me in the west? I know if I buy our sell from someone in Quebec I know my info will be registered. It is my choice if I want that or not.
As my dad said there are many different ways to skin a cat just need to find one that works.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Banned

Plus politics is a game whoever plays the game the best wins . As gun ban is supported by cities maybe the west and gun owners need to get groups like indigenous groups on side to support provincial control. Then we have a powerful group on our side that Trudeau has to listen to. And we need to be prepared . Two steps ahead so we close path ways of more control before they get used.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Plus politics is a game whoever plays the game the best wins . As gun ban is supported by cities maybe the west and gun owners need to get groups like indigenous groups on side to support provincial control. Then we have a powerful group on our side that Trudeau has to listen to. And we need to be prepared . Two steps ahead so we close path ways of more control before they get used.
Indigenous groups couldn't care less about gun control. Those laws don't apply to them.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Indigenous groups couldn't care less about gun control. Those laws don't apply to them.
I think they only have two years that they can use their banned guns after that they are banned to use them as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Locate all the NDP MP offices western Canada 🇨🇦. There is one in Edmonton. Let her know we Albertans not approve her support liberals.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
I think they only have two years that they can use their banned guns after that they are banned to use them as well.
Banned for use and prosecuted for illegal use are two different things.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

If you thought it was impossible for the Trudeau government’s May 1 ban to get any worse, think again.

But with the “evergreen” ban promised this week by Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, it’s possible to go to bed a fully law-abiding citizen and wake up in possession of illegal firearms.

And you will be given no advance warning. Nor will there be any debate or vote in Parliament.

Under Blair’s scheme, outlined at a virtual meeting of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security, the May 1 list of newly banned guns (9,500 models or variants, 400,000 individual guns) will be expanded to outlaw ever more firearms – constantly, quietly, without any public discussion.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...t-to-get-worse
Old 11-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Sundog57 nailed it in post #13
Definition:
Has a trigger
Ammunition goes in one end
Bullets come out the other
Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Banned

Arrow

Guns do not pull their own triggers. Guns are inert unless some person picks one up, loads it, tucks it into his pants and finally fires into a crowd of people with wanton disregard for human life. This is not gun violence. It is gang violence. It is both desperate and cowardly to attribute the violence to guns rather than gangs.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex...e-gang-problem
Old 11-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Gangs will never be delt with from the left wing government.as a matter of fact( any govt) It doesn't fit their narrative. Because we all know it will be a race issue. Guns are the easiest thing to ban, it's part of the agenda. This wont change until they have them all.and it still wont make a difference. This will be a constant issue in this country until people see it for what it is. A GANG PROBLEM, and a people problem. Not a gun problem.
Just my rant.