Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 PM

Default Shore fishing near Edmonton

I hope this post isnt going to construed as the usual "not after anybody's honey holes, but.........", kinda post, but a little local knowledge would be appreciated

I am coming up to Edmonton from Calgary for my birthday next week. We are going to Elk Island one day to hopefully see some bison. We also want to do some fishing one day. Usually we target trout or pike, lately I have been favouring rivers for trout or whitefish.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for somewhere reasonably close to Edmonton in a nice setting that we can wet a line?

You can take solace in the fact that we are going to be there for probably half a day and then probably never again. I dont know any anglers in Edmonton so I wont be giving out the info to anyone else, just me and my wife.

Feel free to pm me
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 AM

You were right not to trust me! I was going to steal your secret spots, land a trophy fish, get featured on the front cover of multiple magazines, steal your wife and move to BC with her. Well played anglers of Alberta Outdoorsmen forum, well played.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 AM

You should have said you were willing to take my wife in the first place lol

Sorry but I have no experience fishing East of Edmonton so no help
Old 10-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
You were right not to trust me! I was going to steal your secret spots, land a trophy fish, get featured on the front cover of multiple magazines, steal your wife and move to BC with her. Well played anglers of Alberta Outdoorsmen forum, well played.

It’s more that there is really nothing that fits the bill in the area you were asking.

The North Sask River is an option for pike, walleye, sturgeon, goldeye, etc right within the city. East of the city there are no other rivers that hold fish (at least not within an hour drive). There are a few trout ponds (Black Nugget for example) but that’s about it.

I live in Sherwood Park and one of my biggest complaints is that I am usually driving 2 hrs or more to get to any decent fishing spots, the exception being the North Sask, which you probably already know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-07-2020, 09:41 AM

You can try the highway 60 bridge near Devon. There are areas to park your car and you can walk along the shore to get further away from the highway. Genesee bridge further west would work as well.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
You can try the highway 60 bridge near Devon. There are areas to park your car and you can walk along the shore to get further away from the highway. Genesee bridge further west would work as well.
Ooooo, I might go there. I'm from Devon, UK so it'd be cool to go to Devon, AB!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:05 AM

Is the NSR clear right now?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:33 AM

The river is running clear for now. Great time of the year for fishing too.

If you go to Devon on the south side of the river right on the downstream side of the bridge can be good. As the water cools down slow down your presentation. Jighead with a minnow is great for walleye, pike and goldeye.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The river is running clear for now. Great time of the year for fishing too.

If you go to Devon on the south side of the river right on the downstream side of the bridge can be good. As the water cools down slow down your presentation. Jighead with a minnow is great for walleye, pike and goldeye.
I appreciate the advice. That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Thank you