Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Try a pedal kayak or one with a motor , paddling and trying to fish sucks . The one thing I don't like after being out for the morning is trying to get out of the boat after I've stiffened up .
paddling and trying to fish sucks....huh..got three rod holders in mine for trolling or stowing a rod/net etc....if trolling when fish on simply place paddle in the holder and strap it accordingly..2 secs...grab rod and enjoy the fight....if casting use the wind or anchor....far from sucking....unless your not organized then things get wonky and yes that sucks.....I keep it simple and just enjoy the outing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Try a pedal kayak or one with a motor , paddling and trying to fish sucks . The one thing I don't like after being out for the morning is trying to get out of the boat after I've stiffened up .
Maybe its just me, but by the time a kayak costs several thousand dollars, has a degree of mechanical complexity to it, requires a cart to launch from any distance, and most of all is propelled by a motor... is it not sort of defying the whole point of having a kayak rather than a modest boat?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:36 AM

x2, setup right a paddled boat is not at a huge disadvantage. With a big advantage of being way cheaper.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Maybe its just me, but by the time a kayak costs several thousand dollars, has a degree of mechanical complexity to it, requires a cart to launch from any distance, and most of all is propelled by a motor... is it not sort of defying the whole point of having a kayak rather than a modest boat?
very true Kayak fishing used to be a poor mans sport. Now you need deep pockets.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Everyone has different reasons for their floating choices. Yes. My kayak setup cost more than I ever thought it would, and ended up being the cost of a decent boat. But my situation dictated that I had to have the kayak and not a boat.

I have a very small home with an even smaller single car garage. Both my wife and I drive and so I give her the space to park in the winter so she doesn't have to brave the elements. That said, I have no place to store a boat. I can still hang my kayak on the wall and she can still park in the garage.

Additionally, depending on the type of fishing you like to do, I can get into places with my kayak that most boats can't. To each his own.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:53 PM

I'm not a peddler but do like paddling around on those small lakes. Definitely a different experience compared to a boat. Tough to beat a quiet morning, steam rising off the water, moose standing there knee deep, etc. Exciting hooking onto a big pike that pulls the yak around.
Got this setup to go where the big boat is not allowed. 12 footer, very stable and comfy, under $1000. Also my homemade cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10041.jpg (110.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10181.jpg (104.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-15-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I'm not a peddler but do like paddling around on those small lakes. Definitely a different experience compared to a boat. Tough to beat a quiet morning, steam rising off the water, moose standing there knee deep, etc. Exciting hooking onto a big pike that pulls the yak around.
Got this setup to go where the big boat is not allowed. 12 footer, very stable and comfy, under $1000. Also my homemade cart.
See, this to me seems like what Kayak fishing was initially supposed to be all about, and makes a fair bit of sense.

On another tangent, I recently rigged up oars for my old freighter canoe, and I cant understand why we've gotten away from rowboats so completely. Even a fair sized, non planning hull can be moved around very efficiently by a set of oars. Once I build my shop my fist project is going to be building a nice, classy rowboat.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Everyone has different reasons for their floating choices. Yes. My kayak setup cost more than I ever thought it would, and ended up being the cost of a decent boat. But my situation dictated that I had to have the kayak and not a boat.

I have a very small home with an even smaller single car garage. Both my wife and I drive and so I give her the space to park in the winter so she doesn't have to brave the elements. That said, I have no place to store a boat. I can still hang my kayak on the wall and she can still park in the garage.

Additionally, depending on the type of fishing you like to do, I can get into places with my kayak that most boats can't. To each his own.
I'm in a similar situation as you, small garage, not a lot of storage options. And I like that the cost of entry and knowledge required for kayak fishing is a lot lower than a boat. Yes, my kayak now costs as much as a small boat but it didn't start out that way. I've been kayak fishing for 6 years now. I started with a cheap kayak on sale, few months later I added a fish finder. Next year, a better fish finder. Year after that, a used kayak with a pedal drive, etc.

If you add up the cost of all of it over all the years, yes, I could have bought a 12' with a motor by now but that would have been 6 years of fishing I'd have missed out on, or paid interest on. And I didn't have to pay for insurance, maintenance, storage and who knows what else.

BOAT-break out another thousand.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 AM

I think I am going to keep my yak basic....no electronics etc....just enjoy the simplicity of fishing....not getting all caught up in the complications that could be involved in this sport....

Old 07-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I think I am going to keep my yak basic....no electronics etc....just enjoy the simplicity of fishing....not getting all caught up in the complications that could be involved in this sport....
Personally, I really enjoy just paddling along the shoreline, picking the weed beds and rock bars apart. On that Sask trip the water was nice and clear, and at a paddler's pace a glance down through the water usually told me everything I needed to know at this time of year. Theres no more enjoyable way to spend a day on the water IMO.

Having gone a little overboard on most of my hobbies at some point or other, something I've really started to believe the last few years... "it doesnt pay to get too serious about having fun".

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
paddling and trying to fish sucks....huh..got three rod holders in mine for trolling or stowing a rod/net etc....if trolling when fish on simply place paddle in the holder and strap it accordingly..2 secs...grab rod and enjoy the fight....if casting use the wind or anchor....far from sucking....unless your not organized then things get wonky and yes that sucks.....I keep it simple and just enjoy the outing.
I like to fish with fly rods and sinking line . I can't just throw it in the rod holder and release the bail . I like to strip my line to the backing and when paddling it takes me 3x longer to strip out . I also like to rip streamers and nymphs off the bottom while trolling and I can't do that with a paddle in my hand. So yes for me and the style I fish paddling sucks .

Quote:
To each their own , my first kayak was well under $2000. A pelican catch 120 with a cheap 30lb Minkota , some pvc pipe and some utube videos and I built everything you decribed .
Old 07-16-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Saw a kayak sail pop up add on FB , looked like a neat idea .

When we moved from ‘berta to the sunny coast here in Queensland I bought a yak first up. Got in trouble from the wife when I threw a kid on each end and headed offshore but it worked until I found a boat. I never had the outriggers and sail and I learned to hate paddling the distances I wanted to travel but its a great way to fish on the cheap.

Yesterday I saw a hobie pro angler with a new trailer, sail, pedals, sounder, battery, both outriggers and life jacket for $3900. It’s now sold.

Today this one was up for a short while with pedals and a sail.

My point being they don’t have to be expensive and the sail makes it so easy to troll or get somewhere in a hurry. If your just farting around on a small lake it wouldn’t matter but if your covering ground they’re a nice option.

Here’s how I see them fished. These are local waters to me now.

https://youtu.be/Pa5NRw-sJQM
Old 07-17-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I like to fish with fly rods and sinking line . I can't just throw it in the rod holder and release the bail . I like to strip my line to the backing and when paddling it takes me 3x longer to strip out . I also like to rip streamers and nymphs off the bottom while trolling and I can't do that with a paddle in my hand. So yes for me and the style I fish paddling sucks .

To each their own , my first kayak was well under $2000. A pelican catch 120 with a cheap 30lb Minkota , some pvc pipe and some utube videos and I built everything you decribed .
Just make sure you keep a paddle Stored.....if things go south and you have not got your paddle then the day could really suck

Old 07-17-2020, 08:56 AM

Also seems liek way too much work to manage your sails and rigging around your lines and rods.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You can still do it for cheap. We are still in cheap Costco sit-ins and they work fine.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
When we moved from ‘berta to the sunny coast here in Queensland I bought a yak first up. Got in trouble from the wife when I threw a kid on each end and headed offshore but it worked until I found a boat. I never had the outriggers and sail and I learned to hate paddling the distances I wanted to travel but its a great way to fish on the cheap.

Yesterday I saw a hobie pro angler with a new trailer, sail, pedals, sounder, battery, both outriggers and life jacket for $3900. It’s now sold.

Today this one was up for a short while with pedals and a sail.

My point being they don’t have to be expensive and the sail makes it so easy to troll or get somewhere in a hurry. If your just farting around on a small lake it wouldn’t matter but if your covering ground they’re a nice option.

Here’s how I see them fished. These are local waters to me now.

https://youtu.be/Pa5NRw-sJQM
I'd love to get a Hobie but I don't think the Warden would let me lol . She's actually telling me I should get a real boat . That's a cool youtube video you posted. That set up would be perfect by my folks place in Mexico to get out to the Gordo Banks in San Jose.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:53 AM

Sounds super fun
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 AM

I've had a variety of Hobie Mirage Drive (pedal) kayaks over the past 15 years. I co-own an Adventure Island (Hobie's sailing model) - which is a lot of fun, and if the wind dies down, you can pedal home! Also owned an Outback, a Sport, and my current Pro Angler. I've run them in big rivers (Columbia & Harrison Rivers), tiny little ponds and good sized lakes. I can rig up a Minn Kota electric trolling motor to quickly make a long run, or to chug upstream on the Columbia R, when I need to. Generally I troll flies on a sinking line, and being hands-free makes all the difference. I've also used them for duck hunting, snorkelling, and loaded them up with kids and super-soakers for some spectacular water fights. I've even used them to 'pick' flat rocks from along the shoreline, and transport back to my beach for building stone garden walls.
They're very efficient, your fins are always working - not like paddle blades that only spend 1/3 of the time pushing water. Plus you're using your body's strongest muscles - your thighs. They're surprisingly quick and have tremendous power - you'll win any tug-of-war with any number of kayaks or canoes, and I've towed a few motorboats back to the marina! They're wide, but stable. Although fearful of the water, my wife loved her Outback for solo 'me time' on the lake, or romantic side x side paddles with me in my ProAngler. You can't run close together and chat like that with flashing paddles between you! I can store my ProAngler in my basement or garden shed, and with a canvas cover, I leave it outside in the elements all summer - a little oil for the drive covers maintenance. Kept dry, you can freeze them solid all winter without harm. With a 2-wheel cart, I've walked it into lakes along trails with switchbacks and medium inclines, across highways, railway tracks and through ditches. You don't need to get to waters edge. Even in my senior stage, I can roof-rack it solo, but generally I now use a light kayak trailer. (Yakima Rack and Roll) I've towed that combo behind my '83 VW Eurovan, and even that sewing machine engine handled the load without complaint. There's lots to love with a pedal kayak! On the downside, I'm not as flexible as I once was, (and somewhat more .... robust) so twisting to get items in the rear is difficult, standing up to cast is now out of the question, and getting in and out of such a low seat can be a problem - but I figure I'm good for another few years yet! Yes they're expensive, but IMO, worth every penny.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I've had a variety of Hobie Mirage Drive (pedal) kayaks over the past 15 years. I co-own an Adventure Island (Hobie's sailing model) - which is a lot of fun, and if the wind dies down, you can pedal home! Also owned an Outback, a Sport, and my current Pro Angler. I've run them in big rivers (Columbia & Harrison Rivers), tiny little ponds and good sized lakes. I can rig up a Minn Kota electric trolling motor to quickly make a long run, or to chug upstream on the Columbia R, when I need to. Generally I troll flies on a sinking line, and being hands-free makes all the difference. I've also used them for duck hunting, snorkelling, and loaded them up with kids and super-soakers for some spectacular water fights. I've even used them to 'pick' flat rocks from along the shoreline, and transport back to my beach for building stone garden walls.
They're very efficient, your fins are always working - not like paddle blades that only spend 1/3 of the time pushing water. Plus you're using your body's strongest muscles - your thighs. They're surprisingly quick and have tremendous power - you'll win any tug-of-war with any number of kayaks or canoes, and I've towed a few motorboats back to the marina! They're wide, but stable. Although fearful of the water, my wife loved her Outback for solo 'me time' on the lake, or romantic side x side paddles with me in my ProAngler. You can't run close together and chat like that with flashing paddles between you! I can store my ProAngler in my basement or garden shed, and with a canvas cover, I leave it outside in the elements all summer - a little oil for the drive covers maintenance. Kept dry, you can freeze them solid all winter without harm. With a 2-wheel cart, I've walked it into lakes along trails with switchbacks and medium inclines, across highways, railway tracks and through ditches. You don't need to get to waters edge. Even in my senior stage, I can roof-rack it solo, but generally I now use a light kayak trailer. (Yakima Rack and Roll) I've towed that combo behind my '83 VW Eurovan, and even that sewing machine engine handled the load without complaint. There's lots to love with a pedal kayak! On the downside, I'm not as flexible as I once was, (and somewhat more .... robust) so twisting to get items in the rear is difficult, standing up to cast is now out of the question, and getting in and out of such a low seat can be a problem - but I figure I'm good for another few years yet! Yes they're expensive, but IMO, worth every penny.

Dam sounds like you got some cash invested in your yak's which is a good thing...I'm a rookie at this and more than likely in my later years get the pedal one or maybe sooner just because....either way I like the quiet solitude....yak on!

Old 07-30-2020, 07:47 AM

so what is the cost on these now?
Old 07-30-2020, 11:49 PM

I just picked up a 2020 Hobie Outback from Western canoeing & Kayaking in Abbotsford. It was ~4500 all in

Worth every penny imo, had it out for 6-7hrs this evening.Could have easily pedaled for longer but it was getting pretty dark.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
so what is the cost on these now?
Prices range between $2000.00 to over $5000.00 , from the Pelican Hydryve to the higher end Hobies . I cheaped out with the Pelican Hydryve and have had nothing but problems .
Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 AM

Great thread!

Am looking into a Hobie at some point - right now I'd have to buy three or four to accommodate the crew.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great thread!

Am looking into a Hobie at some point - right now I'd have to buy three or four to accommodate the crew.
funny haha I am also going to start to build a fleet for friends and visitors.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-31-2020, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the pricing. Bought a paddle fishing kayak a couple years ago. Kinda like them now.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
hmmm when does a kayak stop being a kayak? That there is a freakin' sail boat....

When does a kayak stop being a kayak and become a pedal boat? ;-) (do they still make those Pelican Pedal Boats?)

Anyway, i’ve looked at the pedal kayaks and they seem pretty cool. Makes sense for fishing but would it also work well for general recreation? Eg letting kids use it?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
When does a kayak stop being a kayak and become a pedal boat? ;-) (do they still make those Pelican Pedal Boats?)

Anyway, i’ve looked at the pedal kayaks and they seem pretty cool. Makes sense for fishing but would it also work well for general recreation? Eg letting kids use it?
The pedal drive is perfect for younger ones to use. Its is still a kayak. Just powered with a different muscle group. Consider this method more like a pedal bike. If your kids can ride a pedal bike then they can enjoy a pedal kayak. You don't have to fish in it if you just want to burn some calories and sight see. The good thing about the pedal drive is the gearing and efficiency. You can travel across the lake without feeling burnt out.

I remember renting those tandem pedal powered plastic tubs at carson lake and you would feel burnt out after 15 minutes. You had to pedal hard and fast just to get moving. I would say they are unpleasant and not very fun.

So to answer your question I would say a pedal drive would still be fun whether you're fishing or not.

Respect wildlife
Old 10-06-2020, 04:46 PM

I have enjoyed my belly boat this summer but I feel it’s time to move up! I’m also thinking of purchasing a fishing kayak! I have narrowed it down to the Hobie Pro Angler 14 ft 360 drive. It’ not cheap ($6500+) but WOW is it impressive!

http://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-p...4-360/#fishing
Old 10-07-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The pedal drive is perfect for younger ones to use. Its is still a kayak. Just powered with a different muscle group. Consider this method more like a pedal bike. If your kids can ride a pedal bike then they can enjoy a pedal kayak. You don't have to fish in it if you just want to burn some calories and sight see. The good thing about the pedal drive is the gearing and efficiency. You can travel across the lake without feeling burnt out.

I remember renting those tandem pedal powered plastic tubs at carson lake and you would feel burnt out after 15 minutes. You had to pedal hard and fast just to get moving. I would say they are unpleasant and not very fun.

So to answer your question I would say a pedal drive would still be fun whether you're fishing or not.

I wouldn't give a bunch of young'uns my 4K yak to rec on.....sooner buy them a crappy tire or second hand beater to enjoy cuz kids are just really hard on equipment while having fun.....then in winter drag it behind the quad or hit the toboggan hills too.....

Old 10-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Went Kayak river fishing this summer. Didn't like being confined to one sitting position for hours on end, found it uncomfortable.

Tags
kayak fishing alberta, star lake