Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Help choosing snowblower

I have a average size 2 car driveway but a long sidewalk (corner lot) I have decided on a 24" 2 stage blower due to drifting snow.
I have narrowed my search down to these 2 models due to cost and the fact that I can purchase both these units from actual dealers with onsite repair shops not a big box store.

1) cub cadet 2x 24
2) husqvarna st 224

Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these units either good or bad.

Thanks Wayne

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 AM

hi

I had a cub cadet snow blower, the motor had a major mechanical failure.
To replace the engine was 80% of the price of a new one which made it hard to have this one repaired.
I would not buy another cub cadet!!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM

I have a Husky 227, bought about 8 years ago. I only use it a couple of times a year but it still runs like a top. Electric start...which means you need to plug it in to start it.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM

I used to borrow my neighbors cub cadet, it was a great machine until there was a problem. For some reason every minor repair became a major issue. It was like they designed the thing so you had to take it in for repair rather than do it yourself. Parts we often hard to come by as well.

Ive never used a husqvarna snowblower so I cant comment on that.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-20-2020, 10:11 AM

Stick to stuff that is easy to fix and get parts for. A good used Craftsman, Honda, Toro, Airens, John Deer or Husqvarana. Like the others said Cub Cadet is a pain to get parts for, as are anything with odd ball designs like Troy Built. I am still running a 25 year old Craftsman and have no trouble getting parts, though all I have ever needed to date was a new grip control, outside of that it has run flawlessly. Talk to your local repair guy, he can fill you in real quick on the ones you want to avoid.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:19 AM

I would never buy a new snowblower, go on kijijji & save half or more of your money:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:21 AM

I had a cub cadet zero turn lawnmower. Worst piece of junk I ever bought.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I had a cub cadet zero turn lawnmower. Worst piece of junk I ever bought.
Riding lawnmowers seem to have the same story.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:27 AM

snowblowersdirect has a tonne of reviews. It's a good place to do some research.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:32 AM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/e...0126?undefined
Old 10-20-2020, 10:34 AM

I had a craftsman snowblower for almost 30yrs and was good. I had to junk it as I couldn't find a worm gear for the augers. I have a toro 8hp 2 stage and has been good so far. I wouldn't recommend any snowblower or chainsaw with a Poulin engine on it either.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I have a Husky 227, bought about 8 years ago. I only use it a couple of times a year but it still runs like a top. Electric start...which means you need to plug it in to start it.
I also have a 227

Great machine, I have had it 5 years and use it a lot more than you.

I store it in my garage in winter and have no need for the electric start. I took it out of storage last weekend and cleaned it up. Started on the first pull.

I highly recommend it.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:51 AM

I purchased a used 26.5” 10.5 HP craftsman for $200 this fall. An equivalent machine looks to be $700-$1000 new. This would be my reccomendation. Electric start is really nice, as there’s nothing worse than killing yourself trying to start a motor in -30.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep View Post
I have a average size 2 car driveway but a long sidewalk (corner lot) I have decided on a 24" 2 stage blower due to drifting snow.
I have narrowed my search down to these 2 models due to cost and the fact that I can purchase both these units from actual dealers with onsite repair shops not a big box store.

1) cub cadet 2x 24
2) husqvarna st 224

Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these units either good or bad.

Thanks Wayne

^I have run a CC 24" for about 7 years now. Between myself and my other neighbor, we do the entire cul-de-sac and all associated driveways when needed (we get a ton of snow)

I've probably got close to 1000 km on those little wheels and she still starts on the first pull. Has electric start and even tried it once, but manual pull start is way faster than digging out an extension cord all the time. The bar/hand heaters still generate a ton of heat, so much so that if it wasn't for the amount of snow that gets blown back onto my hands and getting them wet, I wouldn't need any gloves.

The only thing I don't like about it is the chute control. It has the joystick style chute control and it is awkward sometimes, especially when I'm in the midst of turning a corner and need to reverse the column of snow. My neighbor has a different brand with individual control for height and direction of his chute and can spin his chute around almost instantly - far better than my control.

I've stored it in the springtime without fuel and with stabilized fuel; makes no difference when it comes time to firing it up in the fall.

When this one gives up the ghost, I'll replace it with something a little wider and stronger (30" or better) as the area we snowblow gets to be huge. With 3 of us (wife comes out with her shovel) it takes 1.5 hours and then we're done. But we clear the entire cul-de-sac and sidewalks down to the mailbox (1/2 block away). Maybe I'll get a plow for the quad and tick off the city for doing their job too effectively ....

J.

EDIT: purchased off Kijiji years ago for $350 from a farmer who moved into town....
Old 10-20-2020, 03:00 PM

I run an Ariens 24". Awsome little blower. My BIL ha the same as mine but a bit bigger with heated grips. They are both going on to their 4th winter with 0 issues. run premium gas in it, it starts first pull.
We also run a bigger 28" Honda at the shop. The tracks are nice, but can't just up and move it. It has to be under power, so always check your gas before going out
Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Arrow . Ariens 👍

Another vote for 'Ariens'.

We live on an acreage with a 150' driveway, plus large parking area. We live in the West Koots, and get LOTS O' Snow ❗

My 28" Ariens is easy to service & maintain, and parts are readily available. It always starts first pull, and it's pretty much bulletproof.

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO

with it ❗

Selkirk
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
"..We live on an acreage with a 150' driveway, plus large parking area. We live in the West Koots, and get LOTS O' Snow ❗
My 28" Ariens is easy to service & maintain.."
Oh man my heart goes out to you, i couldnt do the snowblower thing like that no more.
Your yard size about same as mine.
Did it for nearly 10yrs & then got wise to a quad with a 6ft-9.5ft adjustable blade.
By time i start get chilled, i"m done, lol.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Oh man my heart goes out to you, i couldnt do the snowblower thing like that no more.
Your yard sizenis much the same ae mine.
Did it for nearly 10yrs & then got wise to a quad with a 6ft-9.5ft adjustable blade.
By time i start get chilled, i"m done, lol.
Agree completely. I have a quad with plow and the blower. Only time the blower comes out now is if the snow gets too high and I need to blow it back some so I have room with the plow to pile more. Most years now it doesn't get used more than once or twice.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep View Post

1) cub cadet 2x 24
2) husqvarna st 224

Thanks Wayne

I went through this 2 years ago. Had it between the 24" Husky, CC and Ariens. I have 2 coworkers who got that ST224 Husky and absolutely love them. Myself I ended up going with the Ariens Deluxe24. It supplements my truck plow so it gets some use but not a crazy amount.

When I was looking I ended up going to a small engine dealer to buy it vs getting the exact same unit from Home Depot. Big difference is it cost 100$ more but it was put together by someone who does it for a living vs some minimum wage employee who puts hundreds of units together for their displays. Most importantly the dealer services everything they sell so if it ever needs repair, I just take it back to them and they take care of me.

Between the 2 units you mentioned, I would go with the Husky. Too many bad reviews of late on the CC and IIR their gear box is aluminum. Let us know what you get! I got mine out and fired it up for the season. Snow is just around the corner!1
Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Stick to stuff that is easy to fix and get parts for. A good used Craftsman, Honda, Toro, Airens, John Deer or Husqvarana. Like the others said Cub Cadet is a pain to get parts for, as are anything with odd ball designs like Troy Built. I am still running a 25 year old Craftsman and have no trouble getting parts, though all I have ever needed to date was a new grip control, outside of that it has run flawlessly. Talk to your local repair guy, he can fill you in real quick on the ones you want to avoid.
Where are you sourcing Craftsman parts ?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Where are you sourcing Craftsman parts ?

Motor parts are just Briggs and Stratton. Other parts you can order out of the States. You can also find parts on Ebay and Amazon.

One example but if you Google Craftsman snowblower parts there are a ton more.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/com...owblower-parts
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Selkirk;4251807].

We live on an acreage with a 150' driveway, plus large parking area. We live in the West Koots, and get LOTS O' Snow ❗

My 28" Ariens is easy to service & maintain, and parts are readily available. It always starts first pull, and it's pretty much bulletproof.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two Ariens; one in a 24" like Selkirk's and a 7.5 2 cycle...... I had the smaller one first and now it is a back-up.

I went to Alberta Forest & Garden here in Calgary. They sell both Ariens and Husky's. Don't ask me why I bought the Ariens, maybe it was a better deal at the time ....

I wouldn't be without one..

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-21-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

dam I got a craftsman....had it four 14 years now....my solution to this problem use to be Cayo Coco Cuba.....gonna have to get acquainted with my snow blower again

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:32 AM

great machine! have the 24 inch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO

with it ❗

Selkirk
Old 10-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Motor parts are just Briggs and Stratton. Other parts you can order out of the States. You can also find parts on Ebay and Amazon.

One example but if you Google Craftsman snowblower parts there are a ton more.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/com...owblower-parts
I tried sourcing from Sears in the US. They said sorry, no dealing with Canadian customers.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I tried sourcing from Sears in the US. They said sorry, no dealing with Canadian customers.
Curious what parts?
Canadian tire has a few pathetic offerings of some B&S parts..
Old 10-21-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Curious what parts?
Canadian tire has a few pathetic offerings of some B&S parts..
Drive components. The B&S engine has been flawless for close to twenty years.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I have never had that problem but if I did I would just have it shipped to one of my buddies in the States or if I had no U.S. friends send it to a postal drop in Montana and have the courier service bring it over the line for me.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:35 PM

Ariens, husky, or honda

Wouldn't touch a club cadet
Old 10-21-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You realize Sears is pretty much non existent now right? A few private owned stores here and there but that's it. Craftsman tools now sold at Lowes and I doubt you can get good parts from there. A big reason I bought my Ariens from a small engine shop vs a box store.