Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I have not read all 9pgs of this thread, but that is true ... they are going after 11000 health care jobs, and my intel shows they have the framework set to reduce the civil service by 25000 as well... this on the heals of picking a fight with the AMA, UNA, AUPE, and HSAA with no capacity to negotiate, but an unfettered capacity to legislate ... they just cancelled a big UCP conference at Lacombe set for Oct.24/20 because no one wanted to go, plus rumblings of cabinet disarray, a new BOD, and a fast approaching Red Zone to the next election .... going after the 35000 jobs aforementioned has always been the way of most governments, because instead of doing the right thing they gravitate to the low hanging fruit because this gets easy and qwik headlines and checks the boxes to show look what we did... all you need to do is look at the bios of those elected and the BOD's of any political party and most show a history of limited real work and world experience, patronage, narrow perspective, largesse, popularity contest winners, et cetera ... our system is not perfect by any means, but it beats the alternatives ... I am not an NDP supporter, but I do like to support the best horse in the race... Notley has really been the smartest leader we have had in Alberta for some time... she was able to learn what oil meant to the provincial and federal fabrics and really tried to do what was right by so many locally and at a pan-Canadian perspective and move the needle with the tools available ... IDK what's next
Notley only tried to do what was necessary to get re elected. She doesn't give a crap about pipelines, in fact she would still turn her back on the oil workers if she thought she could do it and still get re elected. She saw pretending to support the oil industry late in her term, as a way to buy votes, nothing more. Her and Horgan put on their act for months, but the reality is, that it was an act on her part, and obviously it fooled some people. If she gets back in, she will be kissing Trudeau's butt again, and she will throw money at the civil service industry, to buy more votes, while doing nothing to help the oil and gas industry. She will spend until there is no more left to spend, but unfortunately, it will buy votes from people that want handouts now, and that don't care if they leave future generations with a debt that will result in us not being able to afford the programs that we have now.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I have been thinking about your statement and I want to disagree.

Discussing politics is vital for the survival of our democracy. It is only when we stop discussing politics that the politicians are able to work with impunity.

We have to learn to discuss politics BETTER. Not fight, not personalize, not attack. Learning takes time, good teachers/mentors, desire.

"Not talking will make not make things go away and get better. It will only make them worse." my wife (at 2am)
Discussing politics is a very good thing. On political websites. On AO, it is nothing but divisive and toxic, dividing people who have the outdoor pursuits in common. IT IS NOT WHAT THIS WEBSITE WAS STARTED FOR. Put in 3 or 4 years as a mod and you will likely agree
Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Notley only tried to do what was necessary to get re elected. She doesn't give a crap about pipelines, in fact she would still turn her back on the oil workers if she thought she could do it and still get re elected. She saw pretending to support the oil industry late in her term, as a way to buy votes, nothing more. Her and Horgan put on their act for months, but the reality is, that it was an act on her part, and obviously it fooled some people. If she gets back in, she will be kissing Trudeau's butt again, and she will throw money at the civil service industry, to buy more votes, while doing nothing to help the oil and gas industry. She will spend until there is no more left to spend, but unfortunately, it will buy votes from people that want handouts now, and that don't care if they leave future generations with a debt that will result in us not being able to afford the programs that we have now.
Shoot, I never knew you were psychic all this time. How do you know these things? I need lotto tickets. Text me the numbers I should be using
Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Discussing politics is a very good thing. On political websites. On AO, it is nothing but divisive and toxic, dividing people who have the outdoor pursuits in common. IT IS NOT WHAT THIS WEBSITE WAS STARTED FOR. Put in 3 or 4 years as a mod and you will likely agree
Best comment on the whole thread.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Shoot, I never knew you were psychic all this time. How do you know these things? I need lotto tickets. Text me the numbers I should be using
The fact that she was so against pipelines, that her and some of her ministers, actively protested pipelines, should make it obvious that she didn't just wake up thinking that pipelines were a good thing. And the fact that she kept threatening Horgan over and over, but never actually followed through shows that she really didn't want to force the issue. Notley campaigning for pipelines, makes as much sense as Wendy Cukier campaigning to do away with the firearms ban. As to doing what it takes to get elected, you should know by now, that politicians have been doing it for years. It works because voters are so gullible, and some will believe anything they are told.. And don't worry, another ten years or so, and I may have forgiven you for voting for Notley. Do these people look like people that really want pipelines built?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:

This X2

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I see as many arguments about hunting as I do about politics here, and they are just as divisive.

I don't see politics as the issue, rather I see it as the nature of some members way of disagreeing. Instead of arguing the issue they tote out thinly veiled personal insults. Or they argue what if's as if they are fact.

I think most would agree, discussing lease access has been a disaster on this site.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-18-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I see as many arguments about hunting as I do about politics here, and they are just as divisive.

I don't see politics as the issue, rather I see it as the nature of some members way of disagreeing. Instead of arguing the issue they tote out thinly veiled personal insults. Or they argue what if's as if they are fact.

I think most would agree, discussing lease access has been a disaster on this site.
Not even close.

Disagree on politics and you are a waste of skin and a drain on society to the other person.

Disagree on hunting and with 95% of people on the forum you have a difference of opinion.

But I guess there will always be some people that are thin skinned, and whine and cry if someone disagrees, regardless of forum. Some even threaten to leave if they don't get their way.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Not even close.

Disagree on politics and you are a waste of skin and a drain on society to the other person.

Disagree on hunting and with 95% of people on the forum you have a difference of opinion.

But I guess there will always be some people that are thin skinned, and whine and cry if someone disagrees, regardless of forum. Some even threaten to leave if they don't get their way.
Agree.
Example:
I’m anti oil and would like everyone here to vote Trudeau in the next election. He’s done a great job so far and deserves another term. Thx.

I’d get run over if I said that.
Worse than any native or lease post.
By far.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:27 PM

I think it's a bad idea. Level of services will suffer as the private companies need to show a profit, salaries will go down and companies will hire more foreign workers that will gladly accept minimum pay.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrit View Post
I think it's a bad idea. Level of services will suffer as the private companies need to show a profit, salaries will go down and companies will hire more foreign workers that will gladly accept minimum pay.
Wonder why they would gladly accept minimum wage...I’m stumped.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Not even close.

And some people will exchange posts in kind, not like the outcome, and whine to the mods that they are being picked on.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Not even close.

I grant you the disagreements over politics do tend to be more vicious, but disagreements on hunting related topics can be every bit as divisive.

As far as your thin skinned comment goes, as a X mod you must know that members are asked to report posts they think are in violation of the rules.

If that is what you are referring to what then would you suggest members do when the insults start to fly?
Just take it and watch yet another thread descend into lockdown?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-18-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I grant you the disagreements over politics do tend to be more vicious, but disagreements on hunting related topics can be every bit as divisive.

As far as your thin skinned comment goes, as a X mod you must know that members are asked to report posts they think are in violation of the rules.

If that is what you are referring to what then would you suggest members do when the insults start to fly?
Just take it and watch yet another thread descend into lockdown?
Absolutely, they are asked to report violations. But there are reports of true violations that all the mods I worked with appreciated, and then there are sucky tit crybabies who whine when someone says something they disagree with, and take it as a personal indignation. Huge difference. But, you remember that, right? And then, even worse, there are the ones who threaten to take their toys and go play in a different sandbox.

Forum relies on people reporting things going truly sideways. The babies? Not so much. Anyhow, I put in my time dealing with the grown up babies. Thankfully, they are only a sliver of the great guys, but they are there. Make no mistake. Some even cry to the office which really blew me away.

Now, back to AHS layoffs.

Last edited by sns2; 10-18-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrit View Post
I agree, Jbrit. Lowest bidder doesn't always provide the best outcomes. Sometimes they do, but in my experience they often don't.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, they are asked to report violations. But there are reports of true violations that all the mods I worked with appreciated, and then there are sucky tit crybabies who whine when someone says something they disagree with, and take it as a personal indignation. Huge difference. But, you remember that, right? And then, even worse, there are the ones who threaten to take their toys and go play in a different sandbox.

Forum relies on people reporting things going truly sideways. The babies? Not so much. Anyhow, I put in my time dealing with the grown up babies. Thankfully, they are only a sliver of the great guys, but they are there. Make no mistake. Some even cry to the office which really blew me away.

Now, back to AHS layoffs.

Wheres that damn Wisers Slow Clap emoji?
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Wheres that damn Wisers Slow Clap emoji?

Image result for wisers slow clap gif

I tried.......lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
absolutely, they are asked to report violations. But there are reports of true violations that all the mods i worked with appreciated, and then there are sucky tit crybabies who whine when someone says something they disagree with, and take it as a personal indignation. Huge difference. But, you remember that, right? And then, even worse, there are the ones who threaten to take their toys and go play in a different sandbox.

Forum relies on people reporting things going truly sideways. The babies? Not so much. Anyhow, i put in my time dealing with the grown up babies. Thankfully, they are only a sliver of the great guys, but they are there. Make no mistake. some even cry to the office which really blew me away.

now, back to ahs layoffs.
wow!
Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Image result for wisers slow clap gif

I tried.......lol.

I'll ask you for a still photo next time. Less taxing.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not even close.

This is pretty true.

I made a thread where I vented on lack of game in a certain zone. Not like many that have been posted here in the past and present.

Got nuked because people here dont like what I said nor my right, that I practice from year to year within the law.

It really sucked from my pov that it got nuked because I wanted to be able to post on an outdoorsmen forum because its a huge part of my life.

So anyways, I think this move by the government will simply result in private companies bidding at the same rate already being payed, pay thier employees less, give them less benefits to maximize profit to a company that resides outside of Alberta.

All results in less money in our Alberta economy.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
wow!
You find that surprising?

It's actually common, and it's been going on at least as long as I've been around.
What is less common is a moderator flaming a member via PM but that also happens.

If one looks at this thread, even though it's not explicitly political it has more then it's share of nasty jabs. Many have been deleted but some still remain.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-18-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:

It's actually common, and it's been going on at least as long as I've been around.
What is less common is a moderator flaming a member via PM but that also happens.

If one looks at this thread, even though it's not explicitly political it has more then it's share of nasty jabs. Many have been deleted but some still remain.
I am not at all surprised that some people whine to the mods, because their ego was bruised, but whining to the office because the mods don't bow down to their demands, that takes a special kind of crybaby. If people are that much of a crybaby over a forum, how do they survive in real life?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
This is pretty true.
So anyways, I think this move by the government will simply result in private companies bidding at the same rate already being payed, pay thier employees less, give them less benefits to maximize profit to a company that resides outside of Alberta.

All results in less money in our Alberta economy.
Exactly. Some won't see it that way because of blinders.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:

I wasn't a moderator when I did, but damn it felt good! I meant every word I said too, and then some.

Now back to AHS

Last edited by sns2; 10-18-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I wasn't a moderator when I did, but damn it felt good!
It was very evident that he was referring to you.

And based on your post, it was just as evident why he got flamed.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If Notley gets back in, it will be a race to see whether Notley or Trudeau can bankrupt Alberta first. Trudeau will do what he can to prevent us from making money, and Notley will spend what we have as fast as she can. She will probably hire another 50,000 civil servants to buy more voters.
I have always been a conservative but honestly, Kenney is not giving Trudeau any pushback since he has been elected. Not like Notley would be any better, but I see many disgruntled conservative voters in the province lately.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If people are that much of a crybaby over a forum, how do they survive in real life?
Pretty easy if they never leave momma's basement.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:38 PM

Its a sorry mess all around.
I know something needs to be done but My 2 cents says wrong target

There is no win win scenario here.

The simple fact that it is no longer in house/on site adds a transportation $$$ factor to the equation. Its also going to open more avenue's to transmission of infectious diseases and viruses.

We already have the Covid transmigration between long term care homes by health care personnel having to work a number of part time positions in a variety of locations to equal a full time job.

Dietary and cleanliness standards will fall to the way side. They are Highly regulated In house.

When corners are cut by private industry's trying to maximize their profit margin which they have to do to function in a market economy the standards will suffer or it will be a cost added scenario which will equal no over all saving.

Just seems a bit he {Kenney} is sticking to a pre pandemic health care reform model, instead of a current to need format.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:56 AM

Walk out and picket line....