Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2023, 09:01 AM

Default Bird flu and Snow geese

Interesting that the virus had taken out Skunks, mink

And it may be transferring from mammals to mammals in South America now (sea lions).

I’ve seen a few dead canadas piled in the fields close to Pincher.

Makes a guy wonder about precautions no?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-26-2023, 09:32 AM

Covid booster #4 takes care of bird flu. Get the booster and you are ready to roll.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:09 PM

Default first I have heard of that

[QUOTE] Covid booster #4 takes care of bird flu. Get the booster and you are ready to roll.

Got a pathological warning bulletin from Alberta Chief Veterinarian in Edmonton about highly transmissable avian flu 2 weeks ago. they failed to mention anything about covid booster.
No treatment or cure for avian which is highly suspected to be crossing border with migratory birds. Complete poultry 100,000 operations in Canada and USA have been destroyed. Border points were closed last spring to all birds and eggs from infected states
Old 03-26-2023, 01:00 PM

H5N1 has been a leading suspect for the next civilization ending pandemic, for a lot of years, because it has an extremely high mortality rate. It has not (yet) achieved consistent human to human transmission…most other flu viruses have, so it’s “when” not “if”

The current H5N1 subtype is problematic because it’s persistent. Other outbreaks have died off in a single season, this one is still going, that gives it more exposures to mammals and more chances to make the jump

For processing precautions, to be “safe” you would need a fit tested N95, gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection, and a solid understanding of donning/doffing procedures.

Don’t think you could “safely” handle birds in the field especially with a dog retrieving them.

At an absolute minimum, wear gloves, process your birds outside, use hand sanitizer and keep your hands off your face.

That being said…you pays your money and takes your chances. There’s always risk, everyone has to decide for themselves what they are willing to do.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:22 PM

They are asking to report dead birds to the Environment and Parks Canada.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:14 PM

shoot shovel shut up
Old 03-26-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
shoot shovel shut up

Birds or the guys that shoot and eat them?

SSS is probably the last thing to do. Report them maybe?
Old 03-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Covid booster #4 takes care of bird flu. Get the booster and you are ready to roll.
Lol!!!
Old 03-26-2023, 04:39 PM

This again? Seriously?

The same flu was supposed to wipe out a lot of the white birds last year.
They were so sure that there were talks about reducing the limits and getting rid of the conservation hunt.
After an entire year of studies they figure less than 1% of the population was affected, and absolutely no cases of transmission to dogs or people.

Them's is the facts, but go ahead and be terrified if that's your thing.
Maybe take SNS's joke seriously and turn yourself into a pin cushion.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
This again? Seriously?

They were so sure that there were talks about reducing the limits and getting rid of the conservation hunt.
After an entire year of studies they figure less than 1% of the population was affected, and absolutely no cases of transmission to dogs or people.

Maintaining 6' spacing when in flight seems to have slowed the spread. Flattened the curve so to speak.
Apparently birds trust the science more than some 2 legged heathens
Old 03-26-2023, 08:34 PM

Before Dani’s butthurt’s get too out of hand:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ana-180981492/

Grizzly, coyote, skunk, black bear, fox, raccoon. So canines are definitely susceptible. Your dog, your choice.

There is a pretty significant body of research into virology and infection control. Unfortunately it recently got lost in politics and opinions.

Go ahead and take a big sniff of bloody goose feathers if it make you feel more free. Natural selection works like that
Old 03-26-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
This again? Seriously?

You can brush this off if you like, if indeed that's what you're doing, but talk to a researcher or doctor of infectious diseases and you'll understand why they're most afraid of this one jumping. This is not covid by any stretch or measure. Should we all hide under our beds in full hazmat gear? Nope. No point in that.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:01 PM

This thread has the hallmarks of all the Covid threads of the past that were locked and deleted.

If you want to turn this into a thread where you disrespect other members and belittle each other then it will follow the same fate.

There is not a thing wrong with people taking precautions about this situation. If you don’t feel that is warranted that’s fine, just keep your comments respectful .
Old 03-26-2023, 09:03 PM

Old 03-26-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
H5N1 has been a leading suspect for the next civilization ending pandemic, for a lot of years, because it has an extremely high mortality rate. It has not (yet) achieved consistent human to human transmission…most other flu viruses have, so it’s “when” not “if”

The current H5N1 subtype is problematic because it’s persistent. Other outbreaks have died off in a single season, this one is still going, that gives it more exposures to mammals and more chances to make the jump

For processing precautions, to be “safe” you would need a fit tested N95, gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection, and a solid understanding of donning/doffing procedures.

Don’t think you could “safely” handle birds in the field especially with a dog retrieving them.

At an absolute minimum, wear gloves, process your birds outside, use hand sanitizer and keep your hands off your face.

That being said…you pays your money and takes your chances. There’s always risk, everyone has to decide for themselves what they are willing to do.

Quick fyi. Hand sanitizer is a "sanitizer" by name and definition only. Not a disinfectant or sterilization medium. It's a down the scale option if washing your hands properly in soap and water is not possible, but there's a reason that doctors "scrub" with soap and water prior to surgery.

Agree with everything you've said. They've been watching H5N1 for a long time and crossing their fingers, and those that think we'd be told everything by our forthright leaders should know better. Stopping birds from flying overhead is probably a tad more difficult than controlling airplanes.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:18 PM

Better stock up on toilet paper while supplies last!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Great, this again.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:43 AM

I forgot... the anti covid possee...... sigh

Mods... feel free to lock b4 the we find out how many clowns we can stuff into this car.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:19 AM

A flu shot according to health officials will lessen the impact of avian flu if you are exposed to it. For hunters they recommend the following:

process and skin birds in a separate area from others. In my case, it would be in the garage area. Wear a face mask, and nitrile or latex gloves and eye shields if necessary. In my case I wear glasses so i would sanitize the eyeglasses afterwards. After processing birds, throw away facemask and gloves. Wash knives and items used to process the birds, and wash clothes and sanitize shoes.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:20 AM

Bessie. Use common sense. Bird flu is not new. Been around for some time, and in snow geese. This is not a first. If it were even a medium risk to dogs, veterinarians, the CKC, the AKC, Ducks Unlimited, pet rescue websites etc… would be warning us from the rooftops to keep our pets way or else ________ would happen to Fido.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:00 AM

Default .....

Old 03-27-2023, 10:08 AM

Mother nature's way of controlling population. A few years ago there were thousands of dead birds around Pakowki lake. Nothing new!!
Old 03-27-2023, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=wwbirds;4621784]
Quote:

Got a pathological warning bulletin from Alberta Chief Veterinarian in Edmonton about highly transmissable avian flu 2 weeks ago. they failed to mention anything about covid booster.
No treatment or cure for avian which is highly suspected to be crossing border with migratory birds. Complete poultry 100,000 operations in Canada and USA have been destroyed. Border points were closed last spring to all birds and eggs from infected states
I suspect he was tongue in cheek, vaccination hasn't even stopped Covid.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-27-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I have 27 pallets in the garage, if the primer shortage taught me anything, it's be prepared. I am ready for the next pandemic.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-27-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
A flu shot according to health officials will lessen the impact of avian flu if you are exposed to it. For hunters they recommend the following:

process and skin birds in a separate area from others. In my case, it would be in the garage area. Wear a face mask, and nitrile or latex gloves and eye shields if necessary. In my case I wear glasses so i would sanitize the eyeglasses afterwards. After processing birds, throw away facemask and gloves. Wash knives and items used to process the birds, and wash clothes and sanitize shoes.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Holy crapolony! Are we even allowed to consume those birds? If we have to process the birds like that to avoid getting sick- I would definitely not going to eat them!
Old 03-27-2023, 11:23 AM

Yes the birds can be eaten as long as they are well cooked.
These are precautions to take if you feel exposure to the avian flu virus could be bad for you and your family. I mean black bears carry parasites which can cause trichinosis in humans. People should always wear gloves and protect yourself when skinning and processing a bear.

And for those who know people who work on a poultry farm they are so paranoid about disease in their flocks the workers have to gear up and wash down, and change footwear as part of their standard work procedures.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Mother nature's way of controlling population. A few years ago there were thousands of dead birds around Pakowki lake. Nothing new!!

Must have killed Pakowski Lake too judging by how its looked since 2019.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post

And for those who know people who work on a poultry farm they are so paranoid about disease in their flocks the workers have to gear up and wash down, and change footwear as part of their standard work procedures.

I deal with colonies south of Lethbridge that have had to kill every chicken, duck, and goose in the coops.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Must have killed Pakowski Lake too judging by how its looked since 2019.
I don't know what you mean by killed the lake. It's been the same for as long as I can remember.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I don't know what you mean by killed the lake. It's been the same for as long as I can remember.

There was water down to 501 on the south end a few years back. Drier than a popcorn fart now.