Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
It's definitely getting to be that time of year!!

Some great rides here, hope you all get many miles on this year.

I have two 7-10 day rides planned for the summer, I'm growing more and more concerned about whether or not they will happen, unlikely I'm afraid.

Regardless, I hope to get in lots of day rides on the old girl, 1995 Ultra Classic.

nice looking bike . i had a 96 in blue & diamond ice silver . the wife had a 1200 sportster. last trip we went on before selling them was to key west . down the west coast to mexican border and across to texas , around the gulf to kw. came back up the eastern states . travelled on the blue ridge parkway which is about 500 miles of groat road type curves in the smokey mountains and home . sold them both and bought horses .
Old 04-03-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Hwy 101 is nice, spend some time in Astoria on the north west end of Oregon before you cut south, its an interesting place.
Agreed! Definitely check out the Maritime museum in Astoria. It's not big, but it's well done with some good displays.

When you do head south, stop in Tillamook at the dairy! Do the tour, try some cheese and the ice cream.........it's all to die for!

There's the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport that's worth checking out and if you like antiquing you'll want to stop at Pirate's Plunder in Newport as well.

Further south along the coast are the Sea Lion Caves. Worth stopping for.

The wife and I always planned on continuing south on scenic 101 to see the giant Sequoia's but that one isn't likely to happen.

It's a lovely drive and I hope you have good weather. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
That's a very classy ride.

I love the white walls!!!!!!!
Thank you! It was my Dads bike, he passed it down to me a few years ago.

It was the first Ultra ever sold by Heritage Harley when they first opened 25 years ago. Last summer I rode up there for the day and spoke with the lady owner of Heritage, can't remember her name at the moment.

They were shocked that I would ride an 1100km day trip just to bring the old girl home!
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink Another open road trip story

1985...young soldier starting day one of leave leaving the Harvey Barracks garrison 0 dark 30...stop off at Robin's donuts for a coffee and a walnut crunch...then hit the road heading to Vancouver island...leave cow town and the trip is uneventful..gas...snickers bar...repeat along the way....hit the coke open highway pay the toll and roll back the throttle..lay on tank bag with my feet on the passenger pegs with the throttle locked so now its just a giddy up and enjoy the view...well I come across 20-30 bikes all spread out on both lanes...Harleys...loud...leather etc....pick my route and weave threw them never slowing down...yup I am eating up pavement....long story short I make it to the ferry and weave threw the cars waiting get up front and put my bike at the front of the ferry...I am beat just went 10hrs ish straight so pick a spot by a window..stretch out with feet on the seat across from me and go to sleep....got this odd feeling and wake up to be surrounded by big hairy bikers...patches say Hell's Angels...they recognized my white Kiwi helmet...asked if I was the guy that weaved through them at a high rate of speed and woke them up rather ruddily...I said yup and was sorry...asked me what I do for a living and I told them...well heck some of them served..had brothers etc in the army so all was good....I threw my underwear in the garbage after that trip.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

It was the first Ultra ever sold by Heritage Harley when they first opened 25 years ago. Last summer I rode up there for the day and spoke with the lady owner of Heritage, can't remember her name at the moment.

They were shocked that I would ride an 1100km day trip just to bring the old girl home!
awesome!

Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM

Couple of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182DAEF5-AEE2-4F83-8436-7E6455F15897.jpg (44.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg F2A1312C-265F-4E06-BBAA-EC105056F217.jpg (32.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Hoping to get to the coast this year and back home to Northern Saskatchewan. 07 FXST
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Sledhead I could swear one of those bikes is in the house? Long time back I went to a Christmas party at a buddies place. His Harley was parked where the dining room table used to be. When I asked if he a garage, he said yes, but it isn't heated.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Couple of mine.
The stretched out chopper is a beaut!

Custom made....give us the low down!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Sledhead I could swear one of those bikes is in the house? Long time back I went to a Christmas party at a buddies place. His Harley was parked where the dining room table used to be. When I asked if he a garage, he said yes, but it isn't heated.
My Heritage made it's way into the games room in the basement about 5 years ago. I fire the old girl a couple times a year, usually while under the influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The stretched out chopper is a beaut!

Custom made....give us the low down!
That one is a Big Bear, SS under the seat, air ride and pushing near 11 feet in length.. Fun little scooter...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Our first long trip was down to Northern California, it was awesome. Our mistake was we took our time going down and had to rush back. Never got as far as we wanted.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Sighh yes bike season is soon upon us. Not a bike guy even a little bit and probably never will be. I happen to live in a place that bike guys tend to love to ride through in big groups and to be honest it's a touch annoying at the start until you get a little blind to it.

Have some biker friends and they love their bikes so who am I to judge, however if you dudes with the pipes could just cool it a bit riding through town that would be great .
Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 PM

Hoping to get to Ont to see dad this summer. That and the usual tours around Alberta. Come on summer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 in March.jpg (117.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Attachment 162426

2012 ElectraGlide Ultra Limited
Nice , looks good without the trunk on it. I have the same year but not a limited, Ultra Classic. Looking forward to getting out. I like the trunk as I use it to commute to work. Extra space is nice.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:19 PM

In our 50ts my wife and I did a lot of riding. Been across Canada,and a lot of the US Including Florida and California. The guys who mentioned US101 are correct,one of the nicest rides along the ocean you can find. We left Victoria BC on the Coho to Washington,and all the way down to Northern California.
Another beautiful ride is from Monterey to San Simeon about 90 miles of coast line. Two other rides that stand out is from Red Lodge MT. to Cody WI Bear Tooth Pass almost 12,000. ft above sea level, and ride to the sun MT. Western Canada AB and BC is nothing to sneeze at also. I still have a 2012
S/E Harley street glide we still do a couple of summer rides. In 2017 we did a 10 day trip through Colorado, Wow that state was built for biking. Phil
PS no loud pipes just a nice rumble.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:48 PM

Was heading to Tuk this July but will have to re-schedule to 2021. Definitely going to need sometime to unwind after this is all said and done.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
Our first long trip was down to Northern California, it was awesome. Our mistake was we took our time going down and had to rush back. Never got as far as we wanted.
Retired now so gonna take my time no matter where I go going forward...I hear ya on that one ya start farting around and enjoying the ride...get caught up and then it's like oh my gotta get back...14 hrs on the bike days are not going to happen no more or pushing through crappy weather when I can just hunker down....

Can hardly wait.

Oh and please keep the past trips coming in to....it will help put together my riding trip agenda.....

Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM

I foolishly bought a KLX250S in the winter. Been looking at it and sitting on it for weeks now. Really starting to itch. Can't wait to put my fly rod in my backpack and go scout out some new fishing holes! No Pics yet because I haven't gotten it muddy yet!

I had a Yamaha R6 prior to this thing. It was nice, but really boring riding a fast bike slowly. Looking forward to riding the KLX offroad.

I rode the R6 from Sturgis to Calgary in 2009 in one day. Didn't know about the iron butt thing. Man was I sore when I rolled into Calgary! haha I think I left Sturgis at 6 or 7 am and got to Calgary at about 9pm. (I just now checked the mileage... 11 years later... and the route I took was about 1430km)

I don't think i'll be doing that again.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up

your going to have a blast on the dual purpose ride....I had a Honda xl250r in the early 80's that took me all over Vancouver island fishing...had a rack on the back for a dingy, tent, sleeping back and a few basic supplies....what a blast I had...leave on a Friday afternoon and back late Sunday night...good thing is I could head back into a town to resupply if I stayed out longer.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Awesome thread!

Currently riding a 2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000, don’t get out on it near as much as I would like. Usually do a 4-6 day ride every year. Last year a friend and I went down through Montana, Idaho, Nevada and through Death Valley in Eastern California and then back up through Oregon and Washington. It as probably the best ride I’ve ever done.

I’ve done the dual sport thing but got out of it, but wouldn’t mind finding a cheap way back into it. I loved exploring logging roads trails.

Stay safe everyone, keep the rubber side down!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Banned

1978 gl1000 that's not mint, but really nice, and a 2013 dr650, that is almost new to me and has only 5000 miles on it.

been to whitefish several times, kaslo, bc (that is a really nice ride going north of creston).

did almost the same ride as slabm7 on a dl1000. got on in sturgis and didn't stop until i got home south of lethbridge. long day, but boy did that bike like to eat up the miles....quickly.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
1978 gl1000 that's not mint, but really nice, and a 2013 dr650, that is almost new to me and has only 5000 miles on it.

been to whitefish several times, kaslo, bc (that is a really nice ride going north of creston).

did almost the same ride as slabm7 on a dl1000. got on in sturgis and didn't stop until i got home south of lethbridge. long day, but boy did that bike like to eat up the miles....quickly.
Agree on the Kaslo comment. That entire area is some of the nicest riding I’ve done. Nelson, Castlegar, Kaslo and Northern Washington. The roads are always immaculate, amazing scenery and beautiful post card little towns.

Longest day I’ve ever done was Yellowknife to Calgary in a day, got on the bike at 5:30 am and rolled into the driveway at 10pm. When I left yellowknife I didn’t have the intentions of going the entire way in one day but wanted to have the option if I felt good. Once I hit Valleyview I knew I was to close to my own bed to stop. The last 3 hours sucked but it wasn’t worth stopping. But I’d do that ride 10 times over before I rode and R6 from Sturgis to Calgary in one day like Colin_r6 did!!! It would take a week for my legs and back to straighten out!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:16 AM

For places to ride, I enjoy the mountains of Alberta and B.C., but I enjoy the roads in Western Montana and Idaho through Cour de lene even more. The Beartooth out of Cody is a nice ride, but the highway to the Sun was way too crowded. Through Yellowstone into Jackson is scenic as well. The mountains of Wyoming are beautiful, but the desert North of Cheyene is too hot. South Dakota around Sturgis is nice, as is Colorado through Steamboat. Northern Utah and New Mexico are also great places to ride. We avoid interstates, and stay on the small highways, and we have gotten to the point that we always stop at certain restaurants, and stay in particular motels along the way. I have ridden up to 15 hours when forest fires in Montana resulted in our rooms being given to firefighters, but we usually are on the road by 7 or so and stop for the day around 3. By stopping early, we can usually find rooms in most places, if we haven't already called ahead to book them, which we often don't do in some locations.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up

I know when I hit the road it's pretty much a "whatever..whenever" attitude....just keep rolling and if I can hunker down in a motel that I can put the bike right in front of my door...bring a chair out...sip a beer...wipe the bike down and tuck'er in for the next day....with the feed back on this thread starting to plot a course....thx.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:

You know, it doesn't take a lot of encouragement to go for a long drive on my bike either.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Nice , looks good without the trunk on it. I have the same year but not a limited, Ultra Classic. Looking forward to getting out. I like the trunk as I use it to commute to work. Extra space is nice.
The tour pack is awesome and so much can go in it. But wifey takes care of the groceries, so I get by.

Most of my riding is commuting, but the side bags do it for me. I really like the look of the bike this way too. It has a classy look, instead of the meaner look of the Street Glide.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Air filter and housing plus pipes are going to be added to wifes bike.....just doesn't know it yet

Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 AM

My new back tire arrived last week. Figured on Saturday i'd pull out the Clymer and pull the back wheel off to get it changed today. Turned out Argyll was open for service on Saturday so I dropped it off there. Less than a hour later it was done. Polished everything up nice, did an inspection on the brakes and bearings and reassembled it. Too bad for the snow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virago (3).jpg (66.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg virago (2).jpg (60.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg virago (1).jpg (83.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Default 2020 Baja

My 3rd trip from Southern California down the Baja to Cabo and return, 3-4 weeks every other January with my dad and others, so awesome! Hoping that events this season are still a go...looking to have a beer with someone other than myself lately.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 AM

That is awesome....better than flopping around the each with a bunch of tourists!!!!

Do you fly to Southern California and then rent?