Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Hawaii fly fishin

Heading to Kauai on Friday, anybody ever shore fish there? I'm gonna bring a rod and a bunch of clousers. Lookin for any tips if possible, tia
Old 09-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Download the regs and print off in colour to take with. Many fish are identical in appearance but colour is different. One you can keep and one you can’t. I spear fished 99% of the time but talked to everyone fishing i could. Most guys with spinning rods used a big circle hook on a slip Weight with bait ( small goat fish) launched it out and waited. Other guys used thin white silvery flies 2-3” long with a float weight that was a plastic bobber that could be filled with water casted way out then when retrieved it still floated. All spinning rods never saw anyone flyfish. Small fish are easy to catch with bait and a bobber right near shore.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Thumbs up Kauai

If you have a vehicle head to Anini beach at low tide and follow the road to the far west end..... walk the beach slowly and look for Bones on the sandy patches.... not a lot of them but they are big..... if you wade out to the cuts there are blue trevally around that will give you a good fight to say the least.... have fun its a beautiful place.....clousers will be fine but make sure you have some in tan and white for the bones...... take some poppers or crease flies for the trevally .....
Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
If you have a vehicle head to Anini beach at low tide and follow the road to the far west end..... walk the beach slowly and look for Bones on the sandy patches.... not a lot of them but they are big..... if you wade out to the cuts there are blue trevally around that will give you a good fight to say the least.... have fun its a beautiful place.....clousers will be fine but make sure you have some in tan and white for the bones...... take some poppers or crease flies for the trevally .....
Will have a vehicle, thank you ! Exactly what I was hoping for
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 AM

You're on the right track. I've never fished Hawaii. I go to Cancun every year. Clousers. Florida last year and again in a week. Clousers. Chartreuse has been a good colour. White ones and blue ones after that.

Good luck.