Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I tried roasting a bit of it as an exparament and holy **** was that gross! Like trying to eat a gamey, livery rubber drain plug. Unfortunately that went in the garbage.
The rest of the goose went into the slow cooker over night with veggies and spices and that was better. Funny thing though - even though I rinsed the brine off the carcass before it went in the pot, somehow the resulting stew became super salty! I had to add water to thin out the salt, and corn starch to thicken it back up.

Most of the recipies I've seen seem to revolve around the use of heavy spices or sauces to drown out the actual flavor of the goose, and finding ways to make it not so tough. That's not a sign of a real quality meat. And since goose hunting is a lot of cold, difficult work...I have decided NOT to become a goose hunter.
1. I recommend breasting a goose. In my opinion there is nothing to be gained by roasting a goose like a turkey. After breasting you can grind it, slice it, chunk it and add it to any number of juicy recipes. Everyone enjoys my goose burger (3 geese and 1 lb bacon) and marinated goose jerky. Check out Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon recipe and substitute beef for goose!!!!!

2. Brining overnight is going to make it salty. I brine fish overnight in preparation for smoking them. I wouldn't brine goose overnight.

3. I like goose but then I hunt them often.

4. Goose hunting is awesome. Compared to deer/moose/elk/antelope nothing could be easier. Dress warm and lay on the ground in wait...…….nothing like decoying a half dozen Canada's, wings set, gear down and locked, into your setup.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:28 PM

Default Goose Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
1. I recommend breasting a goose. In my opinion there is nothing to be gained by roasting a goose like a turkey. After breasting you can grind it, slice it, chunk it and add it to any number of juicy recipes. Everyone enjoys my goose burger (3 geese and 1 lb bacon) and marinated goose jerky. Check out Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon recipe and substitute beef for goose!!!!!

2. Brining overnight is going to make it salty. I brine fish overnight in preparation for smoking them. I wouldn't brine goose overnight.

3. I like goose but then I hunt them often.

4. Goose hunting is awesome. Compared to deer/moose/elk/antelope nothing could be easier. Dress warm and lay on the ground in wait...…….nothing like decoying a half dozen Canada's, wings set, gear down and locked, into your setup.
We need to get together and do a shoot, love goose meat. Been doing this for 40 years and would never load up the meat with a bunch what ever to change the flavor. I roast a 10 or 12lb goose in the oven every year, and it's awesome. For those of you that can't handle wild goose not sure how you can eat any wild game without completely changing the flavor, gross
Old 04-08-2020, 04:36 AM

I like to take the breasts and slice them into thin flat slices. then dredge them in a seasoned flour mix and pan fry in a little oil. almost like a veal cutlet. making the breast into thinner slices will help with the overall toughness of the goose breast.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgo123654 View Post
I like to take the breasts and slice them into thin flat slices. then dredge them in a seasoned flour mix and pan fry in a little oil. almost like a veal cutlet. making the breast into thinner slices will help with the overall toughness of the goose breast.
^^ this sounds like a possibility to me ^^
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
We need to get together and do a shoot, love goose meat. Been doing this for 40 years and would never load up the meat with a bunch what ever to change the flavor. I roast a 10 or 12lb goose in the oven every year, and it's awesome. For those of you that can't handle wild goose not sure how you can eat any wild game without completely changing the flavor, gross:snapoutofit:
Well, if you think all wild game tastes the same then your taste buds need a tune up. In your version, Spruce Grouse and Ruffies have the same wild game flavour, A Brant tastes the same as a Mallard and Elk is just as wild tasting as Mountain Goat. In my version of the world, I will take Ruffed Grouse, Mallard and Elk.

For most people, enjoying a goose is about finding a way to keep or make it tender - so slicing, grinding, slow cooking or serving rare to med rare, AND finding a way to improve the overall taste. If you survey 100 hunters, just like in this thread, 98 will say goose needs a lot of work to taste good. You can just toss it in the oven, and it will make poop in the morning but I am not eating wild meat for survival and neither are most on here.

Lots of great ideas on how to cook and treat goose. Learned a couple of things.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well, if you think all wild game tastes the same then your taste buds need a tune up. In your version, Spruce Grouse and Ruffies have the same wild game flavour, A Brant tastes the same as a Mallard and Elk is just as wild tasting as Mountain Goat. In my version of the world, I will take Ruffed Grouse, Mallard and Elk.

For most people, enjoying a goose is about finding a way to keep or make it tender - so slicing, grinding, slow cooking or serving rare to med rare, AND finding a way to improve the overall taste. If you survey 100 hunters, just like in this thread, 98 will say goose needs a lot of work to taste good. You can just toss it in the oven, and it will make poop in the morning but I am not eating wild meat for survival and neither are most on here.

No one ever said that all wild game tastes the same, love the flavor of wild goose meat and all wild game. I'm just not willing to change the flavor of any wild game meat. Many ways to add to the flavor without disguising it. Some like it some don't, that's fine.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgo123654 View Post
This is exactly how we do it. I don't notice any gamey taste at all when done this way.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 AM

I find this thread sort of ironic in that many people have a conniption fit if someone throws away the liver from a big game animal. All I will say is roasting a wild goose is likely not the best way to impress your guests.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Ruffed grouse, mallard and elk.....

No argument here but no moose?? Moose is to large game as Ruffies is to bird game. Delicious!
Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Default Best ever

I guided in Northern Alberta for a number of years. We had a chef from New York come up with his partner. After 3 great days he offered to cook the camp supper. I stayed with him to help him prepare it is really outstanding. I have made this for my friends and it is a hit.

This would be for 4-6 breasts
Clean goose breasts well and soak overnight in salt water.
Rinse
Place the following in a shallow glass dish.
1 can coke... can not be pepsi
4 tsp honey
3 tsp Worchester
1 egg

Pour over you breasts and marinate for a few hours or overnight if you want.

Wrap each breast in bacon Now I have you attention cause who doesn't like bacon.

Coat with your marinade
Put it on a hot very hot BBQ he said as hot as it will go.
7-8 mins per side for goose
3-4 mins for duck

when it is done will taste like a bacon wrapped philly.. Enjoy...

HT
Old 04-13-2020, 07:14 AM

Google up smittenkitchen chicken and dumplings .... replace chicken with goose ... the only way I can eat them .
Old 04-13-2020, 07:19 AM

https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/c...and-dumplings/

Works great for pheasant as well.