Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Good start to a long weekend. Thanks to Dave for the submersibles, four rats in them this morning. Thanks Nube for the lathe idea, three rats on them this morning. If you look on the middle lathe I made a system similar to those that slide up and down fibreglass posts to set the trap on. I made them out of tig welding filler rod (stainless). If anyone is interested in the idea I will get better pictures.
Happy Easter guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2114.jpg (53.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2117.jpg (54.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Banned

Good job, Mike. Those sub traps don't take long to pay for themselves, eh? I'm headed out in a bit to do my check. I'm hoping that the sun softens the ice a bit so it's a little easier going.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Nice job!! I find I put my top nail about 4 inches form the top so that if the water is deeper I can put the stick out further. Seems like you got it figured out. Easy to use. To only issue this time of year is finding a spot that the bottom isn't frozen yet. I would love to see what improvements you made if you got some close ups.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Good start to a long weekend. Thanks to Dave for the submersibles, four rats in them this morning. Thanks Nube for the lathe idea, three rats on them this morning. If you look on the middle lathe I made a system similar to those that slide up and down fibreglass posts to set the trap on. I made them out of tig welding filler rod (stainless). If anyone is interested in the idea I will get better pictures.
Happy Easter guys...
how long are your lathe's?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 PM

yeah, more pics! always looking for potential improvements. i tried rubber bands and had good successes. trying to make the lathe set adjustable. problem was i think other rats would come by and eat the rubber bands.

eventually i ran out of rubber bands.

currently, trying to figure out a 2 trap system with the CS's on the fibreglass pole.

makeing some progress. but haven't got it dialled yet.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Your rubber band issue reminds me of a story. Years ago I was hunting ducks on a slough and was using a muskrat house as a gear shelf. I accidentally left a pack of cigarettes (back when I used to smoke) on the house. When I returned the next morning to the same spot for more shooting I opened the pack of smokes and all the filters were chewed off, the package was still intact and closed. Weirdest thing....
Old 04-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Any more info or pics of the nube lath set?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 PM

I never have needed an adjustable level on the surveyor stakes. I just put my top nail 3 inches down from the top and the trap another 6 inches under the top nail. I hang my #1 longspring on a hole I drill in the bottom baseplate of the trap. I use finishing nails and it works well. You don't need much of a slant of the stick to have the trap lay flat on the stick.

I went out tonight and saw a couple rats. Shot one while I was waiting for a beaver to pop out of his house. Had the beaver come out 15 yards in front of me but was too far from the shore. he swam around a bit but must have smelled me because he started splashing around and after a few min went back to his house. I'll have to give it a go another time. Was nice being out
Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
yeah, more pics! always looking for potential improvements. i tried rubber bands and had good successes. trying to make the lathe set adjustable. problem was i think other rats would come by and eat the rubber bands.

eventually i ran out of rubber bands.

currently, trying to figure out a 2 trap system with the CS's on the fibreglass pole.

makeing some progress. but haven't got it dialled yet.
Ive seen these on youtube brag you can get the springs to go on the fibrglass rod from a supplier in the US just cant remember which one pretty cool idea tho
Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 AM

singles or doubles?? i've only ever seen clips/springs that hold one trap.

you can get the clips at farm suply stores. they use them for electric fences.

i've welded some #9 wire on some to form an "H". for a 2 trap platform. it works but i need to make some adjustments on the next ones.

i was using the rubber bands when under ice rat trapping. different ice thickness/water depth.

up early trying to get some pics of the blood moon.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:

i've welded some #9 wire on some to form an "H". for a 2 trap platform. it works but i need to make some adjustments on the next ones.

i was using the rubber bands when under ice rat trapping. different ice thickness/water depth.

Youtube -Rat poles ...he just uses one trap but can put another clip on for the backside for a second trap if you prefer the link for the clips is below the video if a guy couldnt find them at a farm store supply around here im sure any electric fence supply would have them i just havent looked
Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Nice job!! I find I put my top nail about 4 inches form the top so that if the water is deeper I can put the stick out further. Seems like you got it figured out. Easy to use. To only issue this time of year is finding a spot that the bottom isn't frozen yet. I would love to see what improvements you made if you got some close ups.
Hey nube are you extending your chain with wire or something when attach to the lathe or just the chain no extension.?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Youtube -Rat poles ...he just uses one trap but can put another clip on for the backside for a second trap if you prefer the link for the clips is below the video if a guy couldnt find them at a farm store supply around here im sure any electric fence supply would have them i just havent looked

that clip has been up for awhile. probably the springs marty is using. he may even sell them. i don't know??

i made my own. just a few. don't have many CS's.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

If my dad were still alive I'd bet you and he would have a great time shairng rat trapping techneques.

We didn't have hardly any rats around home but before dad married he used to trap a lot of rats in a place called Island Lakes.
He taught me the little I know about the subject but it was only a fraction of what he knew.
Mind you he did it long before a lot of todays tools were even thought of so much of what he did would be outdated today. Still I bet you could learn a few worthwile tricks from him and I have no doubt he could have learned from you. I know I am.

I love the photos you post and the stories you tell.

Good stuff.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2015, 04:31 PM

bummer day. pulled all the rat traps. end of the season for me. getting to high of percentage of bit up rats.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hey nube are you extending your chain with wire or something when attach to the lathe or just the chain no extension.?
I have 2 feet of extension on the chain but only because I use my sticks in winter trapping for inside huts and want a long chain so they drown. You don't need a long chain for open water though. I have only ever had one or 2 alive and that is because they got tangled in weeds or it was my fault in putting it too close to a weedbed. They drown real quick. Actually watched it once and it was over very fast
Old 04-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Awesome thanks nube
i got fiddlin around today had a green plastic pole i got at the dollar store made some clips out of wire i had cut the pole down to 4ft actually has a thin metal tube inside heres what i came up with ..trap and bait clip can be moved up and down the pole depending on water level and mud depth
any thoughts much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150405_155130.jpg (49.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20150405_154632.jpg (65.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Better patent that Rob , looks like it will work like a charm .
Old 04-05-2015, 06:53 PM

those look great! how long was the pole originally? how much did it cost?

the first and biggest problem i had with the few i made. was heavy waves knocking the traps off of the wire. i bent alittle "bed" in wire for the trap to sit in. problem solved.

there's so many trapping related items that a person can make themselves.

can't wait to see some success pics.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
those look great! how long was the pole originally? how much did it cost?

the first and biggest problem i had with the few i made. was heavy waves knocking the traps off of the wire. i bent alittle "bed" in wire for the trap to sit in. problem solved.

there's so many trapping related items that a person can make themselves.

can't wait to see some success pics.
Thanks brag
I cut roughly a foot and and half off ... pole was 2 bucks .. i had the same issue as you brag. I just put a small tight S in the end trap sits in it perfectly ..i didnt make the clips long enough for CS pretty much alll i have is LS
Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Lol thanx bud there pretty roughly made tho
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM

good thinking! i wonder if with the green pole. if a guy would even need bait.

if your feeling brave, you should give it a go without any bait. i'll bet i would work.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:24 PM

great work. Those will smash them real good
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
they are already available through Sudden Valley Supply and they look awesome to me,good work sir
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Well finally got some pictures of my trap clip. Meanwhile Shakeyleg looks better than mine but here are the pics anyway. And three rats and a beaver I picked up this morning. Finally got that beaver!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (70.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2121.jpg (72.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.jpg (70.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2124.jpg (74.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2127.jpg (82.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2130.jpg (51.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2134.jpg (37.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Well finally got some pictures of my trap clip. Meanwhile Shakeyleg looks better than mine but here are the pics anyway. And three rats and a beaver I picked up this morning. Finally got that beaver!
Congrats on the rats and that beaver and thanx for the comment all this trap clip talk got me playing with some ideas ..was having trouble with the lathes i have being not long enough so by the time i got them in the mud secure the trap was to far under water and maybe i can forget ahout dragging floats around ..i was pretty much done for this spring with rat trappin but i may have to set a few of these poles next week end and see how they work just for chits and giggles
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Awesome thanks nube
i got fiddlin around today had a green plastic pole i got at the dollar store made some clips out of wire i had cut the pole down to 4ft actually has a thin metal tube inside heres what i came up with ..trap and bait clip can be moved up and down the pole depending on water level and mud depth
any thoughts much appreciated
What size or type of wire were you using for the trap holder?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

This is my first full Spring of trapping muskrats. Last year I got a late start and pretty much shut things down after only 2 or 3 checks because I was catching a lot of scarred rats. I put out my float sets last week and in the 4 checks since I'm getting a lot of scarred rats. The ice around the edge of the slough just opened up last week and there is still ice on a lot of parts on the slough. Has anyone experienced catching scarred rats like this right from the start of Spring rat season? There are tons of rats in the area that I'm trapping, maybe too many. It's a darned shame to be catching big, otherwise healthy rats and half of them have at least one bite mark through the pelt, some with multiple bites.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
What size or type of wire were you using for the trap holder?
Hey bill im guessing its about 11 guage its not 9 ive got a huge roll of it dad brought off the ranch years ago its not black soft wire its got a bit of spring to it tho but not much
Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Looking good guys! I'm kind of wishing I had decided to do more trapping this spring. I'll just have to follow along here!

Hunterdave- I'm not going to be surprised if someone more experienced thinks your rats are overpopulated. You're probably going to have to thin them out.

I was also wondering how it's been getting around the fields? Are most walking everywhere? Trapping off the roads?