Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&C_Coach View Post
And my latest find was a whole bunch of Macallan 21...had to grab one and it will sit for a special occasion!
Smart move grabbing that 21, I put a couple of those away a few years back (and a 25 as well)....what is the 21 going for now? I haven't seen any on a shelf in a while, stock is pretty much gone on the Fine Oak stuff.

We have a group here that gets together a couple times a year, the Quarter Cask Club, and we met last night to celebrate my 50th. The portions got pretty generous by the end of the night, but it was a fine affair. I took my bottle of the 21 year old Balvenie Portwood out for the gang, and none of it made it home, it was appreciated completely.... There were 10 of us there, so not too bad actually. There was a 12 year old Auchentoshen to start, then a 12 year old Dalmore, both very good! A couple Ardbegs later on, the Balvenie Caribbean cask as well...Jura Superstition.....I don't remember what else off hand. But it was a good night. Wouldn't want to do that too often though, my check liver light was blinking a bit this morning....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Smart move grabbing that 21, I put a couple of those away a few years back (and a 25 as well)....what is the 21 going for now?
$350. They still had a few bottles
Old 03-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:

A couple Ardbegs later on, the Balvenie Caribbean cask as well...Jura Superstition.....I don't remember what else off hand. But it was a good night. Wouldn't want to do that too often though, my check liver light was blinking a bit this morning....

Haha, had a few of those nights. The older I get, the sooner the check liver light goes on, and the longer it stays on now unfortunately.

I'm just finishing off my bottle of the 14 yr Caribbean Cask as I type. Last night I cracked the seal on the Double Wood 17. While it was a tasty dram, for the price I think I'm partial to the 14 Caribbean personally. It may grow on me.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 PM

I'm a cheap son of a gun when it comes to scotch. Usually j&b blended is my real cheap stuff. Splurged on a decent glenlivet founders reserve, basically a 12 yr glenlivet. Very smooth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (57.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Haha, had a few of those nights. The older I get, the sooner the check liver light goes on, and the longer it stays on now unfortunately.

I'm just finishing off my bottle of the 14 yr Caribbean Cask as I type. Last night I cracked the seal on the Double Wood 17. While it was a tasty dram, for the price I think I'm partial to the 14 Caribbean personally. It may grow on me.
I'm the opposite on the Caribbean Cask, I'm not actually that partial to it. I find the sweet molasses from the rum, and floral notes on the nose, and just plain too much fruit on the palate puts me off. The 17 is far more up my alley, and the 21 is just divine!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Anybody noticing the prices? I haven't been buying much for a while but recently noticed quarter cask at superstore went from $45 to $70.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Anybody noticing the prices? I haven't been buying much for a while but recently noticed quarter cask at superstore went from $45 to $70.
It's the same here, unfortunately. One of my favorite drams, been a fan for almost twenty years. The first one I bought was under $40.....but the big jump this year is a killer for sure. On the other hand, I always felt that the Quarter Cask was one of those great Whisky Secrets, it was way better than the price would suggest. So maybe now it is priced accordingly. Still much cheaper than the Oban 14, or the Lagavullin 16, yet it is every bit the equal if not better in my opinion.

Still sucks that it has gone up that much though.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM

^^ yes quarter cask definitely was a secret. One of my favourite go to's. totally agree with your thoughts.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM

And celebrating the Flames win streak of ten straight tonight, with another generous helping of Balblair 1990 Second Release. have I mentioned how heavenly it is?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Time to bump this again. Went out this week to pick up my couple bottles of this years Octomore 7.1 and was very surprised to see that it was $20 cheaper than last year.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 PM

You will have to let me know how that Octomore is, I haven't tried that one yet. I'm still jones'ing over the Balblair 1990, I picked a couple more up today just because I live in fear of when it is no longer available. As the Quebecois say, 'Merde! Dat for sure be some fine whisky!'

Edit: curious to see an 'age statement' on that Octomore, 5 years! I don't think they have had an age statement till now, I will have to look at mine.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Edit: curious to see an 'age statement' on that Octomore, 5 years! I don't think they have had an age statement till now, I will have to look at mine.
Im not sure either. I'll take a look at some of the other years that I have.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 PM

I have a bottle of the Edition 04.1 and it says 5 years in the same place as that bottle. I've been working on this one for a few years and I find it is less harsh and more sweet after the air has been getting to it. Still like it either way, it's just different.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Well I learned something, my 6.3 is also aged 5 years! So there you go. I guess they are probably all 5 years then? Anyway, enjoyed sharing some of the Balblair 1990 and 21 year old Jura with a good friend last night while we watched the Oilers win a 57 minute hockey game..... and then fold up like a cheap lawn chair. Ah well......the whisky was good and the company better.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM

21 year Jura. That must be amazing!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
21 year Jura. That must be amazing!
It is top shelf for sure. It is exceptionally smooth, almost a creamy texture on the palate if that makes sense, no harshness or bite at all. Strong notes of toffee and caramel, and just a hint of salt and smoke. A favorite, but alas I am down to the last inch or so in my bottle now. Will definitely replace it when it is done.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
It is top shelf for sure. It is exceptionally smooth, almost a creamy texture on the palate if that makes sense, no harshness or bite at all. Strong notes of toffee and caramel, and just a hint of salt and smoke. A favorite, but alas I am down to the last inch or so in my bottle now. Will definitely replace it when it is done.
What was the cost on that? I have two bottles of Jura at home but they're much younger.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

I really enjoy scotch, lately I found something a bit different that I recommend you all try, it's called Connemara! It is the only peated Irish whiskey, it is very flavorful, and quit a bit thinner then any scotch I've sipped, a bargain at $60-$70 a bottle. The scotch I drink is a bit more expensive, usually $150-$250 a bottle, and the friends I've shared it with have been under the impression that, this is what they have been drinking (Irish whiskey of the same caliber), everyone I've shared with, has either purchased a bottle, or contacted m later on,, inquiring, as to were they can get one!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
What was the cost on that? I have two bottles of Jura at home but they're much younger.
I picked mine up a couple years ago, believe it was in the $125 range then, but pretty sure it has gone up since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I really enjoy scotch, lately I found something a bit different that I recommend you all try, it's called Connemara! It is the only peated Irish whiskey, it is very flavorful, and quit a bit thinner then any scotch I've sipped, a bargain at $60-$70 a bottle. The scotch I drink is a bit more expensive, usually $150-$250 a bottle, and the friends I've shared it with have been under the impression that, this is what they have been drinking (Irish whiskey of the same caliber), everyone I've shared with, has either purchased a bottle, or contacted m later on,, inquiring, as to were they can get one!
The Connemara is going on my list to try. I like an Irish whisky too, and was really disappointed that Bushmills triple cask 16 year old is no longer available.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:01 PM

I'm a scotch newbie, but I'm enjoying the bit of sweetness in the Highland Park 12. Is there anything similar to it?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwrench View Post
I'm a scotch newbie, but I'm enjoying the bit of sweetness in the Highland Park 12. Is there anything similar to it?
That's a great 'standard' to keep around in the cabinet all the time. Similar to it....more Highland Park! I'd also say pick up a bottle of the 12 year old Dalmore, similar price and taste profile, but a better (imo) dram yet. Also the 12 year old Springbank. Perhaps the Aberlour 10, though it is more on the sweet side of the spectrum.....it's a long list, but if you are just learning to love a fine whisky, for sure get the Dalmore next. Then come back and let us know what you think of it. I suspect you will thank me.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
That's a great 'standard' to keep around in the cabinet all the time. Similar to it....more Highland Park! I'd also say pick up a bottle of the 12 year old Dalmore, similar price and taste profile, but a better (imo) dram yet. Also the 12 year old Springbank. Perhaps the Aberlour 10, though it is more on the sweet side of the spectrum.....it's a long list, but if you are just learning to love a fine whisky, for sure get the Dalmore next. Then come back and let us know what you think of it. I suspect you will thank me.
Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna check out the Dalmore first.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Well this thread has been gone way too long! So I am in Edmonton for a couple days to get the car serviced and stored, and stopped by Wine & Beyond while I was down by cabelas. I remembered the recommendation about the peated Irish Whisky, Connemara, looked for it and lo and behold it was even on sale today for $60! A Sign! So I picked one up and I am mightily impressed. Very soft on the palate, great nose, and a perfect blend of sweet and peat. Going to be a staple in my cabinet I think. Thanks for the recommendation morinj, I really like it a lot. TC edit* also, it won a gold medal at the 2017 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. I agree!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170925_211306.jpg (56.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-25-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Scotch Newbie

Can one or more of you fine Gentlemen please PM a list of what you would recommend. So far I have tried JW Red, Black. Glenfiddich 12, and McClelland's Highland, Lowland and Speyside.

Thanks and Cheers
Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Banned

we had the Cummings of Cardhu this weekend it was quite nice
Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhorn View Post
Can one or more of you fine Gentlemen please PM a list of what you would recommend. So far I have tried JW Red, Black. Glenfiddich 12, and McClelland's Highland, Lowland and Speyside.

Thanks and Cheers
Yes.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 PM

It seems every fall I get a hankering for Old Pulteney, I think it's time for another bottle!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhorn View Post

Thanks and Cheers
Anytime Canuck, and Elkhorn, I will always recommend a 12yr old Glenfarclas for a newbie, the 15 yrs old is pretty good as well! Just remember that often times a 18 yrs old scotch may not taste as good to a newbie, as it would to a scotch vet! You may wanna give the Connemara a try, it's a Irish whiskey but it is a VERY good sip!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Brento View Post
It seems every fall I get a hankering for Old Pulteney, I think it's time for another bottle!
I have an Old Pulteney 21 I absolutely love!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Just got back from Scotland. Tried a number of Scotches and visited 2 distilleries. Went to Talisker - awesome, and as expected. Got a pleasant surprise when I went to Benromach. It's a Speyside, located in Foress. It reopened after a number of years closed.

There are no real vintages yet, but the Organic is great. The Peated Malt is good as well. Pricing is inexpensive $70-80 per.