Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Default “Real world” tow ratings..

So I have a chance to get a vehicle from a friend in Colorado that weighs about 3200lbs. Add what, another 1800 for a car trailer (flaman or uhaul rental) and I would be sitting around 500lbs at minimum?

Considering mountains and some large hills what do you guys think a realstic vehicle is to tow this setup safely?

My old 98 gmc had such crappy brakes Im not sure about using another similar truck, but newer 1/2 tons are better??

A newer Nissan Frontier is rated to tow 6500?? Would you feel confident hauling a car on trialer with that thing?

My gmc got wiped out by a deer, not sure what to buy to replace it. One ton dually is obviously best, but not going to happen. Havent towed much, trying to be smart about purchase.

Thoughts??
Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Does the trailer have brakes?

If so the brake part is as critical ... but still a little scary. My dad has one of those old gyms and toes all kinds of things with it. If it’s in good repair you should be fine. The bigger issue is tongue weight... forget fuel economy.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM

I towed a RAV4 from Edmonton to Red Deer on a U-Haul trailer. It was loaded with gear on the double axle U-Haul. My guess is between 3500-4000lbs.

Did it with a 2011 F150. No concerns at all, except that you could feel the trailer pushing the truck in town slightly. On the highway, I stayed in the right lane and did 100km/hr.

Any modern half ton should handle it just fine. I'd be cautious of side winds and keep the speed reasonable. Uphill you'll likely slow down and use engine braking on. The downhills.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:42 PM

I would think any half ton with a tow package made in the last decade should be able to handle that.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM

Should with a question mark. Tow rating is only part of it. We have beat this up on TTrailers several times. Check the payload or you may be one of those guys dragging your butt. How the trailer is loaded too. Too much weight at the back she will do all kinds of things. Get your hitch weight to 12 to 15% of the trailer to tow nicely assuming you have enough hitch weight capacity. On most smaller vehicles hitch weight runs out before tow weight. Thats why those half tons with big tow weights dont make sense sometimes because they dont have the hitch weight capacity not that they cant pull it.