Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
One thing to watch out for is the dessert type of perogies with juicy fillings is they tend to squirt hot juices when cutting. Nothing like having a hot blueberry perogy blow juice onto your clothes. On the plate poke a few holes with your fork into the perogy to keep the juice pressure down.

Omega 50... Your recipes are interesting. I noticed your prune filling. Never heard of a prune filled perogy. My dear 86 year old ukrainian mother made a dessert "bun" called a piroshki. It was a sweet pastry type dough with a prune filling and then deep fried like a donut. Eaten warm or cold.

I think I am going to borrow Mom's hand written recipes and learn more.
Not my recipe, came into my facebook feed. But will try them this weekend with my Grandson.
My mom used to buy bags of the little buns you describe from a Perogy shop in Winnipeg when we were kids in the early 60's-Made them for New Years Eve.

On a side note

My normal potato perogy procedure is I keep the bones and skin from my Double Smoked BI Pork Picnics and simmer them in lots of butter and onions. Then when my perogies are drained after boiling-I slide them into the warm Hammy,Oniony Butter Brine and give them a 15 minute soak. Then drain on racks and proceed to freeze or fry.
Flavor bombs

Last edited by omega50; 12-11-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:43 AM

If you're a fan of potato and cheddar (and who isn't?) then try adding a little extra cheese and some diced jalapeno. The dried stuff works OK too. They rehydrate and add a nice little kick that goes well with sour cream.