Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 10:24 PM

Default Revoke Free Parking Privileges for Veterans?

So the Vancouver City Council wants to revoke parking privileges for veterans, on Remembrance day, because....get this....it 'incentivizes driving'.

The Veterans. Who fought for the flag, country, and freedoms. Some are disabled. Some are seniors. And despite that, we don't want them to have free parking, because, Climate Change. Green. Equity. Virtue Signal. Progressive. Woke.

I'm at a loss, but the caveman in me wants to go to the next council meeting and maybe communicate in sign language. With sound effects.

https://www.sherwoodparknews.com/new...c5d6e439f1/amp

The article goes on to say it's a slippery slope giving special privileges to 'certain citizens'....

At least they got that part right. Sort of.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-21-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:31 PM

Little off topic but in the spirit of the thread..

My hometown isn't having the usual Remembrance Day ceremony, due to Covid. I think outdoor services should be a go, spread out and use a sound system to make sure everyone can hear. Many thousands of Canadians have and continue to give their lives for their country, and people can't even muster the courage to honor them?

Rant over, sorry guys.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Those within the city council who think this is acceptable should have a closed door chat with a vet.....ungrateful *****s.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

BB1ads0c.jpg

With every step, the ground shook; bodies and body parts flew in all directions, striking those still pushing forward up the ridge.

Our privilege's didn't come easy....I think we can give up a few parking spaces.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Agree with all the comments above.
I'm literally speechless in how Vancouver Council could want to push this motion forward, disgusting pretty much sums it up.....
Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Thumbs down

H'couver? Nothing surprises me anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Appalling that anyone could lose sight of the fact that these people gave everything for us/them and yet they are more wrapped up in their eco-mindset and war against cars than they are about doing what is right and decent.
I could easily see Edmonton city council doing something equally as stupid given their mindset.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Idling is not banned in Edmonton (yet) like it is in hongcouver. I am surprised they do not hand out tickets at red lights.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 AM

The councillors that came up with this should be terminally embarrassed to have this made public. The voters REALLY need to push back on this level of stupidity and ingratitude, but I doubt the majority of Vancouver residents will even read the article let alone do anything to protest it. When U can take Sir John A MacDonald's name off of a law building down east no level of stupidity is surprising any more.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 AM

"The article goes on to say it's a slippery slope giving special privileges to 'certain citizens'.... "
Ya and it is given to the wrong ones. Seems that those privileges are going out to the ones who like to protest
Disgusting political madness. Trying to squeeze out a few more extra bucks. So where are the protesters now to help save our veterans.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:22 PM

Do you really expect anything less from "Fruitlandia"
Old 10-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Banned

Sit them down in a room with a bunch of vets and then have them watch Saving Private Ryan (on the whole pretty truthful)...then have them tell the vets in the room they don't deserve free parking.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:04 PM

I watched this the other day and thought it was very good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSTdUqgIdyk

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-22-2020, 02:38 PM

Here is why garbage like this happens:

In the 70's, TRUDEAU was a proponent of "multiculturalism"

That is, the process of creating a country in the design of a "melting pot", intended to meld people of all walks of life into one united country. Sounds nice

Problem is, CANADIANS kinda had an identity already. We were peaceful, brave, free and willing to help other nations.

In many ways, that "melting pot" concept could work IF people were willing to melt....

Not so much, Pierre........

Historically, most cities already had their "Chinatowns", "Little Italy's", etc. It was already clear that a true "melting pot" was showing a few flaws in its purest form.

The Canadian "identity" has slowly eroded. It is almost unrecognizable from just a few decades ago.

In fact, Canada has no identity any more. It is a land mass containing many different groups of many different cultures and faiths and customs.....effectively governed by one law? Hardly.....

Canada's foundation has been destroyed. Our FN people were invaded, persuaded, violated, paid out and apologized to. Those that came here under the promise of land and a new life unwittingly stepped on the FN culture. They obeyed the rules of the "new" owners of Canada and did not bear much thought to how that came about.

Thats how the world was 200 years ago........

liberal politicians failed to recognize that this concept has two ends in its spectrum, with no middle.

There is either gratitude and acceptance or there is what I call, extremism. Those that fail to recognize and respect the great place that Canada is (was).

Not every country is as fortunate as Canada. Ethnic blend has been the known catalyst for war.

So far, so good Canada. So far, so good.

I guess apathy is a virtue in this country, at least as it pertains to a "melting pot".

Now as we see statues torn down, FN blockades, calls to defund police, military cutbacks, financial ruin and dependency on government handouts, legalization of narcotics, gangs running the streets, and a government bent on disarming the citizens, and re-writing of our history, we will see how long it takes before the "melting pot" boils over......

Is it the fault of immigration? No.

It is the fault of stupid people, starting with Pierre Trudeau and every single idiot who bought into his vision of what Canada should be.

There is no Utopia

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-22-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM

i just cant under stand why this would ever happen we would not have what we would today if it was not for are veterans . Hats off to all veterans you are the real heroes you should have front row parking all the time
Old 10-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
H'couver? Nothing surprises me anymore.
Truer words were never spoken.
Vancouver is largely inhabited by Me Me Me CitIdiots.
In fact, these asshats are literally frothing at the mouth to hand a majority government to... the effing NDP.

What have we become...

Sadly,
Nog
Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Well said, Huntinstuff.

Wasn't it Trudeau who had the idea of multiculturalism being a "Mosaic", in contrast to the U.S.A.'s "Melting Pot"? ...I could be wrong here...
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Well said, Huntinstuff.

Wasn't it Trudeau who had the idea of multiculturalism being a "Mosaic", in contrast to the U.S.A.'s "Melting Pot"? ...I could be wrong here...
True. In school we were taught it was synonymous, however that was changed when Trudeau said this:

Although there are two official languages, there is no official culture,” said Trudeau.

Canada. No culture. Can be seen as a melting pot like the US model where everyone assimilates or like Canada is now, kinda hodge podge melted mosaic......

"Mosaic" says Trudeau. With little blocks of cultures all over, bound by their own little boundaries and rules.

Kinda like the eastern bloc countries after war and attempted genocides?????

I guess so.

Remember the USSR? The map was simple. Now? Chopped to hell.

Canada. Same type map. What does our future hold?

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-22-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:37 PM

Excellent points made HS. You should teach this stuff, maybe Ryerson would hire you on as a prof?

Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Excellent points made HS. You should teach this stuff, maybe Ryerson would hire you on as a prof?
The concept of everyone living in harmony in one place is ridiculous. I WISH it was possible, but it never works. From the USSR to the communes of the hippies to Big Brother TV show.....it never works........

UNLESS.........
Old 10-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
True. In school we were taught it was synonymous, however that was changed when Trudeau said this:

Although there are two official languages, there is no official culture,” said Trudeau.

Canada. No culture. Can be seen as a melting pot like the US model where everyone assimilates or like Canada is now, kinda hodge podge melted mosaic......

"Mosaic" says Trudeau. With little blocks of cultures all over, bound by their own little boundaries and rules.

Kinda like the eastern bloc countries after war and attempted genocides?????

I guess so.

Remember the USSR? The map was simple. Now? Chopped to hell.

Canada. Same type map. What does our future hold?
No Canadian culture, no common identity, no shared beliefs or morals, no unity, what are we left with? A country on its way to implode?
Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
No Canadian culture, no common identity, no shared beliefs or morals, no unity, what are we left with? A country on its way to implode?
It kinda mimics a world wide refugee camp

Some of us have been here for a while, some are new

Regardless, we are all here together. We have people who are apparently in charge of the camp but they suck. I say we burn their tents down.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
In fact, these asshats are literally frothing at the mouth to hand a majority government to... the effing NDP.
All you need to know about Vancouver. And that would be an even bigger disaster than the current situation.