Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM

As you entered K-country there was a big billboard sign " Fire Ban No fires Allowed" 50m after that sign was the fire hazard sign that stated the "fire hazard was low". Its my belief that the Ab.gov. is trying every year to deter ppl from going camping May long. Alcohol bans, Fire Bans, next year it will be an "OHV Ban" lol
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM

the CSI in me is starting to wonder if the other thread about Edmonton leading the country in murders is connected to this thread
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the CSI in me is starting to wonder if the other thread about Edmonton leading the country in murders is connected to this thread
They are covering up the evidence of the murder with the fires
Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
They are covering up the evidence of the murder with the fires
where the victims poachers?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
where the victims poachers?
Hmmmmm that could be they were Asian
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Gone Hunting

OMG!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
OMG!!
Suicide >>>>>>>>>
Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
OMG!!
All we need now is our mojito drinking fishnuts to appear to totally derail this thread....
Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
All we need now is our mojito drinking fishnuts to appear to totally derail this thread....
Oh I think were pretty well there.............LOL
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM

.......this thread is so derailed.......fishnuts could actually put it back on track....oh yah I said it lol.

Lefty
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Fire ban

There was no fireban in Drumheller last weekend. The local authorities had the discretion to allow fires or not. There was an interview on Drum 99.5 FM with a local CO(I think).
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

The province issues a Fireban but left the actual ban and enforcment up to the local jurisdictions. Why, simple because if it is raining down south and hot and dry up north then you can have fires in the south, but not in the north.

This province wide ban was more an effort to show the public that they were taking a active approach to situations like the Slavelake fire and to prevent future issues. Yet it was only as good as the paper it was on.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Where did you find out about these fires can find no reports and there was no fire bans in the national parks??????
http://www.industrymailout.com/Indus...=281428&p=6fd4
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
And where, exactly, does it say the fires turned ugly - as you wildly claimed earlier in this thread?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 AM

u know what i meen, but just saying should not be having fires in a fire ban, that being said hope everyone has a great summer and hopefully many campfires to come.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Amazing still a fire ban in place, atleast according to foothills MD website. I don't think there is a dry place on my property and I'm not sure I could even start a fire with how wet everything is and how much rain has been coming down since sunday.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Fire ban is now lifted, our municipality quickly followed suit.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
u know what i meen,
No we don't.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 AM

http://www.albertafirebans.ca/

So when are they pulling the bans for down south. Seems like the 2-4 inches of rain over the past few days and the continuing rain...may make the fire hazard low?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'm with Shawn on this one...
X2. Since nothing really happened nobody gets too worked up. If their fire had gotten out of hand and burnt some forest everyone would want blood. Fire bans are put in place for a reason, and setting restrictions in place with no consequences is pointless.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Despite grumbling over a province-wide fire ban implemented before the year’s biggest camping weekend, people seem to be behaving.

Provincial officials said in the Southern Rockies area there have only been three illegal camp fires found by enforcement officers, and those were put out without much fuss — granted the alternative was a fine.

“I would say almost all of them are being co-operative ... we’ve had no real problems to speak of,” said Karen Ritchie, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (SRD) information officer for that area.

Ritchie said some are still questioning the order, particularly since fire bans are usually tied to weather.

But massive wildfires in Northern Alberta have left SRD resources tapped out, Ritchie said.

“There won’t be a fire ban lift until provincial conditions change — it’s less about weather for us as it is about resources,” she said.

“(And) even if it gets wet on one day, it can dry out really quickly the next day.”

Kathy Kiel, spokeswoman for SRD, said a lot of the calls coming in have not been complaints, but questions of what fire-starved campers can do.

Wood and briquette burning are out, but campers are still allowed to use propane-powered barbeques.

Ritchie said of those caught with camp fires anyway, the common retort to officers has been “I didn’t know.”

“We give them the benefit of the doubt,” she said.

“If they don’t (put it out) that’s when (officers) will start bringing out the paperwork.”
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
city cops always hand out d.u.i all the time right, and once in a blue moon there is a fireban so why not hand these 8 people fines and use that money towards something positive like the slave lake relief fund? but no the co dont hand out tickets i dont know why, this stuff is always gonna happen like a slap on the wrist because co dont get tuff on things like this. i wish i could go out in the feild

Shawn, you seem to be a decent fellow. It's not hard to see that you are upset and passionate about this issue. That is very commendable. If you are planning to work out in the field where there is little or no supervision, you must have the ability to take control of a situation and control it. I think that you are missing a golden oppurtunity here. Why don't you load up your truck with buckets of water and then drive thru the forestry looking for fires? When you find one, you could politely explain that there is a fireban and you are on a "Preventative Measures Patrol on behalf of the Citizens of Alberta" and then put a bucket of water from your truck on the fire. The people would thank you and then you could go in search of the next one to put out. Right now you are just sitting at a computer and complaining. Make sure you keep track of the dates, times and locations and you could put that down on your application form as "Fire Ban Enforcer". Don't let this oppurtunity slip away from you.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Shawn, you seem to be a decent fellow. It's not hard to see that you are upset and passionate about this issue. That is very commendable. If you are planning to work out in the field where there is little or no supervision, you must have the ability to take control of a situation and control it. I think that you are missing a golden oppurtunity here. Why don't you load up your truck with buckets of water and then drive thru the forestry looking for fires? When you find one, you could politely explain that there is a fireban and you are on a "Preventative Measures Patrol on behalf of the Citizens of Alberta" and then put a bucket of water from your truck on the fire. The people would thank you and then you could go in search of the next one to put out. Right now you are just sitting at a computer and complaining. Make sure you keep track of the dates, times and locations and you could put that down on your application form as "Fire Ban Enforcer". Don't let this oppurtunity slip away from you.