Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Fire ban for nothing

There were eight recreational fires in the Southern Rockies during the May long weekend, in contravention of the provincial fire ban. The fires were immediately extinguished and no fines were assessed.

Explain to the ppl in Northern Alberta why these idiots weren't fined.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
There were eight recreational fires in the Southern Rockies during the May long weekend, in contravention of the provincial fire ban. The fires were immediately extinguished and no fines were assessed.

how is this a north south issue?

maybe a allowable excuse is they started camping in a remote area before the ban was in effect. Not everyone has sat. communication with the world....in fact some choose to shut out the world when camping.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM

http://www.industrymailout.com/Indus...=281428&p=6fd4

if we dont punish people for breaking the law then they are just going to do it again. Everyone knows we have a fire ban. Those who didnt listen should have to pay their $5000 fine.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I heard that the only reason they put the fire ban on in southern Alberta was because all of the fire fighters and equipment had been sent to Slave Lake. It seems crazzy that they have a fire ban on at the Atlas Staging area and it is surrounded by snow. But on the other hand I am glad that the fire ban might have saved other campgrounds from the mess in the other thread. It seems that the only thing people understand is heavy fines. A slap on the wrist means nothing.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

to be fair, there were some confusing radio reports down here in the south as to where fire bans had supposedly been lifted and then not lifted etc. I listened to two different radio stations tell me two different things about the castle wilderness area while driving to Calgary on Friday night.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

i have an in-law that is a firefighter and he says to me "we let the police handle the fines. we don't have the manpower or the time to do it"
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Some people may have genuinely not known about the Ban. As has been mentioned, some may have already headed west before they announced it. Some people don't watch or read the news. While it was fairly well publicized, my own wife hadn't heard of the ban.

I'm willing to bet these people didn't know about the ban. Out of thousands of campers out, only 8 people broke the rules.

Sorry, but if a CO came and told me about the ban, I'd extinguish the fire and hope for a warning. (If I truly didn't know about the ban).

If they started it back up when the CO left, then there's a reason for a fine.

Sorry Shawn, think you're getting a little wound up.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM

I have had police give me the benefit a couple of times and I was always appreciative. I am sure the folks with the fires felt likewise and had they relit the fires I doubt the story would be reading the same.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM

out of thousands these are 8 campfires that turned ugly, I would like to know why they were not fined. Signs are posted almost everywhere. People cannot say they did not know. So why?????
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

maybe all of us in southern alberta are just stupid.

Explain to me how speeding and getting radar tickets and then beotching you got them when YOU broke the law is any different
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM

how did they turn ugly?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
out of thousands these are 8 campfires that turned ugly, I would like to know why they were not fined. Signs are posted almost everywhere. People cannot say they did not know. So why?????
How does a grown man not know his battery is dead!!!!!!!!

Everyone is stupid or a idiot to you......come on!!!! give everyone the same slack people on here give you
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
maybe all of us in southern alberta are just stupid.

Explain to me how speeding and getting radar tickets and then beotching you got them when YOU broke the law is any different
Photo radar doesnt burn down a forest, they should not have put a fireban in the first place then, what was the point?

city cops always hand out d.u.i all the time right, and once in a blue moon there is a fireban so why not hand these 8 people fines and use that money towards something positive like the slave lake relief fund? but no the co dont hand out tickets i dont know why, this stuff is always gonna happen like a slap on the wrist because co dont get tuff on things like this. i wish i could go out in the feild
Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM

so apply for school and go out in the field.....
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Photo radar doesnt burn down a forest, they should not have put a fireban in the first place then, what was the point?

city cops always hand out d.u.i all the time right, and once in a blue moon there is a fireban so why not hand these 8 people fines and use that money towards something positive like the slave lake relief fund? but no the co dont hand out tickets i dont know why, this stuff is always gonna happen like a slap on the wrist because co dont get tuff on things like this. i wish i could go out in the feild
so your saying speeding doesnt kill?.....and your above the law?....yes i know because the people who made the law are stupid idiots.

ya we already know your field tactics
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM

all ready did, dont start untill january, missing all the good stuff though, maby im wrong, we should all be aloud fires in a fireban, my bad, lets all go to the forest where the firebans are not in place, i mean were not gonna get fined anyways, even if we do burn down a campsite or two, complete garbage.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 PM

i meant where fire bans are in place, sorry
Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Please keep us updated on your progress on becoming a CO or F&W officer. I'm sure we would like to see how you make out with that....
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry guys, I'm with Shawn on this one. I think instead of fines these bozos should come home after being tossed into a mountain stream to find their houses a blaze. That would make them think twice next time.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Proving the cause of a fire is difficult

Proving who started it is harder

Charging someone for an open fire is easy because normally they are sitting around the fire at the time
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM

All the pouring rain may have confused people... I'd cut them some slack unless you know the exact areas and times.

I mean, honestly Shawn, you want to be a CO. You're telling me in the middle of a downpour, we're talking 10mm of rain an hour, your going to write a ticket for contravening a fireban?

Sometimes you've got to be considerate of the bigger picture and possible misunderstandings. If the people are co-operative and perhaps weren't aware or were under the impression that huge rainfall generally prevents fires, that's one of those situations to use discretion.

Unlike photo radar, far more cut and dry... you're just willfully breaking the law there.

The idea that there is a fireban outside my house right now is laughable. It's a big muddy green soaking wet field.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
All the pouring rain may have confused people... I'd cut them some slack unless you know the exact areas and times.

I mean, honestly Shawn, you want to be a CO. You're telling me in the middle of a downpour, we're talking 10mm of rain an hour, your going to write a ticket for contravening a fireban?

Sometimes you've got to be considerate of the bigger picture and possible misunderstandings. If the people are co-operative and perhaps weren't aware or were under the impression that huge rainfall generally prevents fires, that's one of those situations to use discretion.

Unlike photo radar, far more cut and dry... you're just willfully breaking the law there.

The idea that there is a fireban outside my house right now is laughable. It's a big muddy green soaking wet field.
i know what you meen, but a fireban is a fireban, 60km an hour is 60km hour, and barbed hook is a barbed hook, right or wrong
Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 PM

2 elderly people go camping before the fireban was announced
they have a camp fire
C.O. comes and beats the crap out of them for having a fire and fines them 5000.00 bucks.

i cant wait for the next set of recruits to graduate
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I have a few RCMP friends and due to the fact that some people (no matter how unlikely) would not hear about the fire ban they were told to (with discretion) issue warnings first and then issue the fine if the problem persisted. Although I agree that breaking a law is breaking a law, how many times have you been stopped and given a warning from a police officer?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Where did you find out about these fires can find no reports and there was no fire bans in the national parks??????
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Where did you find out about these fires can find no reports and there was no fire bans in the national parks??????
It's not unusual for this park to play fast and loose with the citizens safety. No fire ban here and it was tinder dry until Thursday and then we got a major monsoon.

Some years we have had a couple of inital attack helicopters arrive out at the wardens compound, but the fire ban doesn't get annouced until after the long week end.

Looks like they may be trying to cash in on the provincial fire bans . Some of these government employees appear be willing to do anything for some extra revenue.

I remember one long weekend a few years ago they had a province wide fire ban. In the park they had a ban in all the day use areas but they still allowed camp fires in the campgrounds. Tuesday after the long weekend the fire ban went into place.

It really sucks when next to your community you've got a campground with over 700 fires burning and it's not safe to have one. Parks and the town will do just about anything for a dollar these days. Keep your chainsaw at the ready if you live in the park!

Last edited by uglyelk; 05-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Photo radar doesnt burn down a forest,
id rather have a fire burn down some forest than a speeder kill my daughter...... but yes...... i agree with you about the fire ban.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyIam View Post
Please keep us updated on your progress on becoming a CO or F&W officer. I'm sure we would like to see how you make out with that....
let us know which area you end up in so we can stay away !
Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
It's not unusual for this park to play fast and loose with the citizens safety. No fire ban here and it was tinder dry until Friday and then we got a major monsoon.

Some years we have had a couple of inital attack helicopters arrive out at the wardens compound, but the fire ban doesn't get annouced until after the long week end.

Looks like they may be trying to cash in on the provincial fire bans . Some of these government employees appear be willing to do anything for some extra revenue.

I remember one long weekend a few years ago they had a province wide fire ban. In the park they had a ban in all the day use areas but they still allowed camp fires in the campgrounds. Tuesday after the long weekend the fire ban went into place.

It really sucks when next to your community you've got a campground with over 700 fires burning and it's not safe to have one. Parks and the town will do just about anything for a dollar these days. Keep your chainsaw at the ready if you live in the park!
Amazing what they will do to capture at extra dollar. You would think the national parks should be more of a leader and be one of the first to initiate a ban when one is needed.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
all ready did, dont start untill january, missing all the good stuff though, maby im wrong, we should all be aloud fires in a fireban, my bad, lets all go to the forest where the firebans are not in place, i mean were not gonna get fined anyways, even if we do burn down a campsite or two, complete garbage.
Shawn, making it through Vermillion and Lethbridge is a start.

Maturity and attitude is a huge consideration for new hires by SRD. Your present perceptions do not mesh with SRD's, and should someone like yourself slip through the filter process, and continue to show the maturity you are now exhibiting, I can guarantee you that your next posting would not be a nice place like Rocky Mountain House or Hinton... more likely you will get someplace like Indian River where you can't do much damage.

Reassess your bull headed attitudes... it will serve you well in the end. if you do. Most C.O's have a whole bunch of common sense genes in their system.