Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I am going to start writing my mp about bringing in a castle law. How do you guys feel about having a castle law brought into canada?
we allready have one from the magna carta
and section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and freedoms.

other than that...get a good jury

Last edited by Torquil; 05-25-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
So let me get this straight, we're going to create a million dollar review panel (we know how governments work) to prevent the one or two guys a year that get charged with this from paying out $20-30k? Million for $20k?

Or perhaps pick up the legal tab for those not convicted, but I know the same crowd will yap endless when we are paying the legal bills for gangsters off on some technicality.

Maybe all the Castle support guys should just create a defense fund and stop wasting my tax dollars for such a rare occurance.

Who oversees such a panel? Who is it accountable to?

Remember that the Crown reviews cases for prosecution prior to anyone being charged with a major offense. Is this not the review panel right there? If it's a cut and dry case, they will not prosecute.

I'm ok with the intent of a Castle doctrine, but I think the current process and laws on the book work well enough for such a rare event. If this was happening everyday, then yes, I would agree with you. But it's not. We should not be spending millions on such a rare event.
I agree totally
Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
When's the last time someone was CONVICTED in Canada of defending their family in self-defense?

Non-issue. Why do we waste our time fighting for irrelevant laws? Much bigger fish to fry.

Hell, a Quebec police officer was shot dead by a gangbanger in Montreal during a drug raid and the druggie was acquitted (served 5 months in jail for improper storage charges). Seriously the huge amount of case law in Canada is enough.

If you think a druggie can be acquitted shooting a cop, but you wouldn't be if a criminal pointed a gun at you or your family, your nuts.

But then again if you have a long history of forum posts saying you'll blow away anyone walking on your property, perhaps you may/should be locked up...

it seems it was an illegal search
wrong house no drug dealer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...parasiris.html

Last edited by Torquil; 05-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:55 PM

There is a distinction between using force in protecting ones property vs. protecting one's life.

Most of us would agree that under the current system, there would be little threat of being prosecuted for defending one's life.

Where our opinions seem to differ is whether it is justifiable to use force to defend one's property.

Stinky B.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Most of us would agree that under the current system, there would be little threat of being prosecuted for defending one's life.
As long as the authorities feel that your life was actually in danger, there likely wouldn't be any charges against you. However you might genuinely be fearing for your life, while the authorities might feel otherwise in their after the fact investigation. Only the person that was actually present, knows what he was thinking at the time. Had Barb Danelesko had a firearm handy, she might have saved her own life by shooting the person that later murdered her.Then again, the authorities might have felt that the sixteen year old was only a simple thief, that was not likely to harm anyone, let alone kill anyone. How wrong they would have been.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
However you might genuinely be fearing for your life, while the authorities might feel otherwise in their after the fact investigation.
True.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

Stinky B.
I don't agree, and in fact believe the opposite.

If someone dies, regardless of circumstance, our law is such that the killer SHALL BE arrested. and USUALLY charged. the charges are only dropped after the persecution... er I mean Prosecution department feels there is little likelihood of conviction.

REMEMBER. A prosecutor is only concerned about WINNING and losing. And they can WIN, They WILL charge you regardless of Self Defense or not...

You will go bankrupt fighting a system paid for by your own tax dollars.

if you don't believe that, then you are not living in Canada
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
.......There needs to be some kind of judical oversight when someone is killed.
Nope. Just a shovel.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquil View Post
we allready have one from the magna carta
and section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and freedoms.

other than that...get a good jury
And how exactly do you get a good jury? Much better not to need one isn't it?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw