Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did you get the strap in school?
Yes 133 68.91%
No 22 11.40%
I should have but got lucky. 30 15.54%
My school/school district did not believe in it 8 4.15%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Gone Hunting

When we moved from B.C. our kids bussed to school. about the second day they came in all excited. The bus driver, had stopped the bus and threatened to haul a couple trouble makers off and "kick their asses". End of problem. My kids thought it was so KEWL. They said she sounded just like me. She was also the one who gave each kid an Easter basket a few weeks later.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM

I guess to answer the poll, WHERE YOU STRAPPED,

most people got it on the butt

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Getting the strap in school did not influence who I am today. My parent's did.

As my parents influenced how I behaved in school and society.

Maybe if more parents positively influenced their kids at home, be no need for this discussion on the need of the strap in school. If the kid is constantly acting up in class, then maybe it is time to check on the parenting at home.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM

The strap was a form of abuse and intimidation in my opinion. I was strapped on the hands a fair bit in the PSBGM (Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal) and I have never ever strapped my kids based on the pain and suffering that I went through. I never Dr. Spocked my kids or beat them, but used common sense and logic and my kids turned out pretty damn good. The principal would beat us for being late, for missing homework, for speaking out of turn, and on and on. The worst I got once was 33 times each hand. I went home with welts and my hands were bleeding. They do that crap now and they would be thrown in jail. Oh, the best part was the reason I got beat 33 times. I finally had had enough of the two brothers who constantly bullied me and I took them both on and beat the pizz out of them in front of the school. The principal said I was the instigator. I put up with those two for 3 frign years and finally took the matter into my own hands and still lost. I'm 52 now and still bitter about that.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Yes, I got strapped a number of times. So for those of you who habitually disagree with everything I say, it sort of goes to prove that strapping doesn't really straighten a kid out, does it? LOL

Seriously, I also got hit, had books and chalk erasers thrown at me... All signs of a frustrated teacher who had lost his/her cool. I think that if a school takes discipline and acceptable behavior seriously, they can do a good job without physical violence. Did it scar me for life? Naw, but who knows, if I had been a kid with psychological problems (oh shut up LOL) or whose parents had beat him at home. Just seems to me that if we don't allow corporal punishment of convicted criminals, we probably shouldn't allow it for misbehaving children (at least for schools).
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

I got the strap, ...not as often as maybe I should have. You quickly learnt that there was a line you didn't cross, and your parents respectively backed the teacher. There were rules in society then, ...now sadly lacking!!

TM, I'm gonna have to talk with Les about your behavior!!

What gets me is all this "residential" school stuff, ...natives can't believe what school was like for people my age, teachers were strict, and we got the strap, pointer, yardstick. Most can't believe that this was normal in all schools, they weren't singled out as natives. It was just the proper correction of the day, and led to a gentler society.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
What gets me is all this "residential" school stuff, ...natives can't believe what school was like for people my age, teachers were strict, and we got the strap, pointer, yardstick. Most can't believe that this was normal in all schools, they weren't singled out as natives. It was just the proper correction of the day, and led to a gentler society.
Did your school have a graveyard for students out back? How often were you allowed to see your parents?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Good points,we also had our parents to go home to at night. The ones in the rsedential schools didnt have that luxury
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Here in the North, like most northern areas, both white and natives went to residential schools, and no, none got to see their parents for at least the year, and often more, due to distance. The natives usually got home for the summer and Northern Affairs covered their cost, not so for the whites, and their parents often couldn't afford the flights. I've walked a lot of the graveyards, they contained every race.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Here in the North, like most northern areas, both white and natives went to residential schools, and no, none got to see their parents for at least the year, and often more, due to distance. The natives usually got home for the summer and Northern Affairs covered their cost, not so for the whites, and their parents often couldn't afford the flights. I've walked a lot of the graveyards, they contained every race. If sent home, there was no graveyard.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Some good points Artic, but I still think the government had no right to remove any race from their home and force the residential schools on them.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM

I think that there is a difference between some of the examples from "residential schools" from the 60's and prior. There were lots of things going on back in the day that turn our stomachs today.

The 100 or so kids (native and white) that I went to school with in the 80's did not get treated in anyway that I would describe as "detrimental". Many of them are very talented and bright.....and many returned home to be productive members of their communities....and many are productive members of yours. We are talking about high school here.....grades 10-12.....not "children" being pulled from their homes and forced into the white man's world. The people that I went to school with were "thankful" for the cheques....but I don't think one of them truly feels like they "deserved" it.

You think there were social problems in the "schools"? They pale in comparison to the social problems in the communities.

tm
Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I got the strap, ...not as often as maybe I should have.
I'm thinkin' you got it a fair bit Arctic.......so much so that you even started to become a lil' "leathery" yourself

Please tell Les about the nice things I said and if you could leave out the "little" part I would appreciatte it.....he still kinda scares me!!!!!!

tm
Old 05-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytec View Post
For the other principle I think he is dead by now and I hope it was a painful way to go. this principle was later charged with abuse of power and forced into early retirement. the province changed the laws after his case out lawing physical punishment in the schools.
What province did they outlaw it in? It is still in the Alberta School Act, although I think the latest version, which was passed this spring, may have removed it.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM

My elementary school had it until I was in grade 3 ( '91) I never got it, but know it was used from time to time

Home, on the other hand, was a different story. I still cringe when I hear the belt coming through the loops at a good speed. That all stopped in '97 when I was wrasslin with my little brother and pops tried to join the fun. I picked him up and folded his knees to his chin, and he switched to psycological punishment from there on out.

For the record, I don't think my Dad could have done a better job.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Gone Hunting

"I picked him up and folded his knees to his chin, and he switched to psycological punishment from there on out."

I think it was a right of passage. It certainly was in my neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM

chicks dig scars
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
chicks dig scars
Ya but they get twitchy when there on your a.z.z....................
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Some children respond to the strap and others don't, depends on the kid. Bushrat and JohninAB both make great points too. Example, me and another guy got in trouble for badly flunking a science test in grade 7. Teacher yelled at us for what seemed like an eternity. Next test I got 100%, the other guy flunked badly. I continued getting above 95% on every exam the rest of junior high, the other guy got yelled at some more and he still flunked. Heard he used to get lots of straps too. If I got the strap it would have straightened me up, I highly doubt it would have affected my classmate.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM

grade 2 teacher was about 120 years old , little tiny woman. first day of school she breaks out this huge tractor belt, slams it on her desk so hard it left a mark, and didnt have to bring it out again the whole year.
After that, I got it pretty regularly til grade 5 or so. obviously not often enough

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Ya but they get twitchy when there on your a.z.z....................
every strap i got was across my open hand....which was funny because i would complain my hand hurt and would be excused from writing.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

NHO, what kind of things did you get strapped for that no one should be punished for?
I guess I had 1 of those faces as a kid that said: "Just hit me,it's for free." that and my father told the teachers they could hit me whenever they wanted if I did something wrong. He also wanted a phone call if and when I did anything wrong. I got the strap for having wet boots at my desk. I got it for not brushing all the snow off my pants. I got the strap when I was in grade 4 because a kid in grade 6 beat me up;"fighting". I got it in grade 1 for giggling with another kid in class.

I got worse when I got home. My father always figured that math was very important(I still agree) but he figured I should be 2 years ahead of everybody else. I was supposed to know my 12 times tables in grade 3.(I was a small 8 year old kid and dad was the size I am now and the same age I am.39 5'11 230.) I was standing in the kitchen and dad was sitting at the table firing off questions:6X4...., 8X11....,4X7.....,then 9X12............I said 96. The kitchen chair flew back and hit the wall behind the table when dad stood up. He grabbed me by the top of my sweater and hit me pretty good the 1st time. (Ears ringing,face fealing like it was on fire tried not to fall down.) then I got hit HARD the second time. There were plenty examples of discipline that I received between 6 and 13 years old.

I learned a lot of lessons as a kid. I still don't like looking at my own black belt when I take it out of the drawer. I know that 9X12 is not 96. I know that if I ever see a child get hit anywhere close to what I got somebody is going to get hurt bad. If anybody ever touched one of my girls physically I would not be able to stop my own reaction to it. I don't like early fall days. For many it means the start of hunting season. For me it reminds me of going back to school after the summer break.

Even though I am a nice guy,I am over protective of my children and even other kids.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM

They had the strap when I was in school. I never got it but I was close a few times. The guy who usually delivered it was a good guy. The few times I was there when he gave it he did it for dicipline only. He wasn't mad when he did it. Very deliberate and only one time on each hand. And afterewords had a respectful conversation with those he strapped.

The principle on the other hand. Full out NUTS!! I saw him give a guy the strap once about 50 friggin' times. Out of his mind ****ed! Not dicipline, just him taking out his frustrations. Totally wrong in my mind.
He used to use the yard stick alot. I got it across the back in about grade 4 a few times for talking. No warning, lean over and talk to a kid beside you WACK!
Got it across the nuckles once for the same thing. My dad came to talk to him after that. Big guy, 230 or so, farm kid, worked hard all his life. For some reason during the "meeting" the principle grabbed him by the shirt. Dad just kinda swatted his hand away. Guy kinda hunched over and we left. Next day he had a cast on his wrist.
Don't really remember having much to do with him after that.

Man I miss my Dad.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Yep sure did. But what ever I got in school I was sure to get 10 times worse at home. My father was a member of a "group" of guys who liked to ride bikes together. He would kick my ars for any reason he felt fit and trust me he was good at it. I spent some time face down sleeping on the floor for sure. Things sure are diffrent now. As they should be.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM

I aint gonna lie...... ya... i got it...lots. Never ruined me, turned me into a serial killer, rapist, con man...or whatever other criminal what might bring to mind...

i cant but not stop and shake my head at the mischevious young lad I was though... kinda proud, but I grew out of it quickly, when i left home to go horse wranglin, then guiding out of school.

I cant change the past, but sure can have a good chuckle about it...and ya....bring back the strap, on the hands, and capital punishment, and Wilbur....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Heck ya! I was strapped in Hillcrest junior high by non other than our principle, Johnny Bright. Edmonton Eskimo fans should know who he is (was).
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Gone Hunting

"Even though I am a nice guy,I am over protective of my children and even other kids. "

Sounds like your dad had some issues. I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt.

Looks like you turned out ok and that's the important thing.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"Even though I am a nice guy,I am over protective of my children and even other kids. "

Sounds like your dad had some issues. I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt.

Looks like you turned out ok and that's the important thing.
Thanks Redfrog. I talked with Dad about it recently and he said he knows it was wrong what he did and he did in fact have issues of his own. He genuinly feels about it and I told him that the past cannot be changed but the future can be.I figured that he must have been abused as a kid but that was not the case. He said that for those years he owed a lot of different gambling debts and was caught cheating on Mom. I was literally the "Whipping Boy." Hitting me turned into a way for him to vent his anger and reduce stress.

I turned out OK but I do have anger and rage issues as a direct result of my childhood that I have learned to deal with over the years. Quitting drinking and having children of my own helped immensly. For years I chose to not have children for fear of continuing the cycle.

I have 2 girls. 1 is 3 1/2 and the youngest is 18 months. My oldest went over and aggressively yanked a stuffed toy from her sister which of course brought out some screams and crying. I quietly told my oldest to come over to me. I very quietly and softly explained how that was not nice and hurt her little sister's feelings. I told her that it made me sad to see either of my girls crying or sad. She was crying after less than 2 minutes of me giving her the soft talk. She went over and hugged her sister and did not let go for at least a minute. She genuinly felt bad for her actions and for at least the next week (which is like years to a kid that age!) she shared her toys and never raised her voice to her little sister. Somebody that would have yelled and screamed and spanked their child would have probably achieved the same IMMEDIATE result of the older child not taking toys and they would feel that they obviously did the right thing because the behaviour was instantly corrected. I think my way is better.

I grew up under the "It's better to be feared than loved" way of thinking.
I like my way more.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Heck ya! I was strapped in Hillcrest junior high by non other than our principle, Johnny Bright. Edmonton Eskimo fans should know who he is (was).
Ha! I remember Johnny Bright and Rolly Miles at a football stag we had once. I think a lot of us were surprised how well those old boys could "party". Yes, he was a principle at the time... lol. Oh boy, now I'm telling tales outta school
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Default strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
never got the strap myself...but it was in effect at the schools I went to.

Where...were.

Thats because you were goody two shoes in school
I one the other hand did..........But Mr.Si^a had it coming

Pin