Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did you get the strap in school?
Yes 133 68.91%
No 22 11.40%
I should have but got lucky. 30 15.54%
My school/school district did not believe in it 8 4.15%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Yes. Quite a few times and for trivial things. Catholic nuns for teachers. Mean, inconsiderate FRUSTRATED old b***ches. Very anti-male biased. Poor example of christianity. Still hate them 40some years out of school.
LOL... I had two nuns for teachers, and in retrospect, they were some of my best ones.

Although I never got the strap from the grade 6 one, the principals son did for acting out because he thought he could. Man, did that woman whale on him, and then sent him to the office, and his dad came back and made him apologize to the nun.

He never again was a problem.

Lesson learned, and actually, he turned out to be a pretty good guy in the end. Maybe the attitude adjustment was what was needed?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up ill vote for the strap

i got it almost weekly from grades 4 to 10 then the principles just didnt care anymore I deserved it every time. All these wastes of skin that are wondering around society with high school diplomas not knowing what to do. not wanting to work or move away from mommys' teet could have used it too
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Yeah,I think we should hit kids in order to teach them a lesson. Allow some teacher or principal to dole out whatever physical punishment they wish to dole out. If little Johnny gets in a fight;he should be hit to show that violence is wrong. If he gets in a fight AND swears; don't strap his hand,strap him right across the face a few times! That'll learn him! If a kid is caught smoking,maybe get the shop teacher with a hook for a hand and the janitor to work the kid over with some brass knuckles by the tether ball court. Just keep stepping up the violence until the message is learned.

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

I got the strap at school for a lot of stuff that no kid should even be punished for. Then I got home. ( I'll leave it at that.) To this day I can look back and realize that I was not a bad kid,but there were some bad people in the education system who I feel took enjoyment in physically assaulting children under the guise of "discipline."

No I don't think they should bring back the strap.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Yup... for skipping out.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 PM

As a kid in South Africa, in Grade 3 (standard one over there) they took us to the local prison, and showed us around (outdoor cells, but no winters like we have here). One of the rooms was the caning room. This was the room where you were caned if a JUDGE sentenced you... Bench with manacles (don't remember what kind, too busy being petrified by the 45 gallon drum(s?) of salt water and canes soaking in them...)

When I came to Canada (grade 6) I was an angel. I refused to believe the cops wouldn't smack you and then send you home. I was even more afraid of going in front of a judge. Some of those canes were so thin they whistled when swung GENTLY...

That one I believe should be here too... Defenitely a deterent... And way way cheaper than the system we have here...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

several times....most deserved, but a few not. if i started a fight ...well ok. sometimes i didnt start it though. i just didnt know how to back down when i was younger. thing is, in school it never seemed to matter who started it but rather who was winning when the teacher got there. i got it good once for one i didnt start but won. i was not wrong and no way was i gonna shut up about it either. my mouth got going and i ended up getting 5 lashes on each hand and smiled the whole time. i think he finally realized i wasnt going to cave and stopped hitting me. that man is a friend today and he finally believes me that what happened that day wasnt my fault.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM

The srap was gone when I went threw school. If my kids are bad at school or the bus, I tell the teachers and driver to call me and I will deal with the problem. I got many an arse woppin as a kid from my folks and deserved way more than I got, so I dont have a problem with a spanlin. But with the teachers we got now adays I can tell you for sure that if one of them lays a hand on my kids,never mind usin a weppon, they will be in for the fight of thier life, and I aint talkin about some legal fight iether. I had plenty of bad teachers who did awful things to us while in school and if one of my kids teachers thinks they will get away with doing them things to my kids they are sadly mistaken. It is a parents job to disiplin thier kids not some teacher.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Yeah,I think we should hit kids in order to teach them a lesson. Allow some teacher or principal to dole out whatever physical punishment they wish to dole out. If little Johnny gets in a fight;he should be hit to show that violence is wrong. If he gets in a fight AND swears; don't strap his hand,strap him right across the face a few times! That'll learn him! If a kid is caught smoking,maybe get the shop teacher with a hook for a hand and the janitor to work the kid over with some brass knuckles by the tether ball court. Just keep stepping up the violence until the message is learned.

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

I got the strap at school for a lot of stuff that no kid should even be punished for. Then I got home. ( I'll leave it at that.) To this day I can look back and realize that I was not a bad kid,but there were some bad people in the education system who I feel took enjoyment in physically assaulting children under the guise of "discipline."

No I don't think they should bring back the strap.
Well I don't remember getting the strap for anything I didn't deserve. I don't remember any teachers who gave the strap just because they took delight in it. You must have grown up in a twisted system if thats how your teachers were. We only got the strap for crossing boundaries we knew were not to be crossed even if it was only for not having clean hands without a good excuse. The simple lesson in all of it was to teach us that there were boundaries we could not cross without cost. We were not scared of our teachers or parents, we didn't hate them nor did they hate us. We were fully aware what would happen if we crossed those boundaries. We remember those lessons later in our lives. We did not consider it abuse as many people do today. Much of the problems with youth today stems from lack of discipline and lack of fear of doing wrong. When children can do whatever they want without fear of discipline, without fear of their parents or the law we wind up with all the problems we have today.

Why is it that just about every boy who went to school carried a knife of some sort in their pocket but there were no stabbings, we could bring a shotgun to school to hunt on the way home but there were no school shootings. It's because we knew that if we lipped of a teacher there were repercussions from them and worse when our parents found out. The classrooms were kept under strict control, even the smallest infraction was dealt with immediatly. Bad behavior was nipped in the bud before it got out of hand. Even though we carried knives it would have been inconceivable to us that we would even consider using them against a teacher or another student in a playground fight. The gist of it was that if you start young with 'fair' individual discipline it rarely gets out of hand in later years. Today we ignore discipline and many children are out of hand, instead of disciplining them we take away the freedom of carrying a pocket knife or a slingshot, we rob them of being responsible for themselves instead we lock down the entire school and punish the entire school because we are afraid to kick the ass of an individual who needs it. Today that individuals parent will sue the school instead of kicking the kids ass, the kid sees all this, what does he learn? He learns quickly that he can do whatever he wants, not be held responsible for it and is encouraged to continue this behavior because it amuses him. Everyone else gets punished or regulated more yet nothing happens to him.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

^^^^^^

x 2!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Well said Bushrat.......well said.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Only once in my scholastic career....1982 in grade 8. Did I deserve it??? You bet. Did it work?? You bet....never again did I tell a teacher that they were a &%$&$ idiot.....well, not to thier face.

Today I'm very good friends with the Vice-principal that did it....he's my taxidermists ol' man. I will call him Sir until he no longer graces us with his presence.....or I go, whichever is first. I just remember him being a lot bigger back then

Times have changed, but it sure didn't kill me. We used to hang murders as well....some things should come back around IMO. Maybe a phone call to the parents before the strapping would be a good idea....I'm sure glad he didn't call my Pa first though......that would not have been pretty!!!!!!!

tm
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Well said Bushrat.......well said.
amen brother
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Only once in my scholastic career....1982 in grade 8.
Well, TM, I was born in 81. I didn't think you were THAT old!

Growing up, my dad had straps made of 4" wide swather belts. One hung in every farm outbuilding.

He didn't often use it, but when he did, he called it the 'Fred Astaire'. That's cause when it came out there was some singin' and dancin' going on!

I do not feel like I was 'abused' in any manner. If I have children, they will recieve spankings. There's a difference between discipline and abuse!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Got the strap once from the principal (didn't deserve it either).

But here are a few off-the-topic school memories:

From grade 1 to grade 6: if we did something wrong, then we had to "write lines"
meaning: 50 to a 100 repeditive sentences during noon hour and/or recess: such as
"I shall not go as far as the railway track during noon hour or recess"
(some of the braver boys used to put pennies on the railway track, then after the train went by
they would rush on to the tracks to find their flattened pennies.

In grade four we had to take turns "sweeping up the crumbs and dirt on the floor after lunch".
The boys hated this female job, so we would sweep up the crumbs into a pile and get about half the crumbs into the dustpan and into the garbage: but, usually the teacher, Mrs Barrel,
was out of the room visiting with the other teacher, so then we would batt the remaining pile of crumbs in all directions like golfing; but sometimes the girls would tattle on us, so we would have to re-sweep the floor.

In grades 4-5, some of the boys would go behind the shed and carefully roll "cigarettes" using dry grass and newspapers, then lite this on fire and "smoke" (just like dad or uncle). I didn't roll mine dense enough , and ended up inhaling a good puff of smoke and fire; burnt my throat a bit. Never smoked again, ever.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
As a kid in South Africa, in Grade 3 (standard one over there) they took us to the local prison, and showed us around (outdoor cells, but no winters like we have here). One of the rooms was the caning room. This was the room where you were caned if a JUDGE sentenced you... Bench with manacles (don't remember what kind, too busy being petrified by the 45 gallon drum(s?) of salt water and canes soaking in them...)

When I came to Canada (grade 6) I was an angel. I refused to believe the cops wouldn't smack you and then send you home. I was even more afraid of going in front of a judge. Some of those canes were so thin they whistled when swung GENTLY...

That one I believe should be here too... Defenitely a deterent... And way way cheaper than the system we have here...
Yeah you can tell it works because there is so little violent crime in South Africa now. A model society no question.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Famous words BEFORE THE STRAP....THIS HURTS ME MORE THAN IT DOES YOU.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Well, TM, I was born in 81. I didn't think you were THAT old!
I'll be 42 this year.....right after I pack out another ram

I carry my age well I think.....if ya see me without a hat, not so well

Must be my smokin' hot younger Wife that keeps me young

She acts waayyyyyyy older than me.....but that ain't too hard

tm
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM

Unhappy The Strap

Got it a few times, usually for scrapping on the play ground. Even got it twice one day !! Got the yard stick on the butt a couple of times as well. Like others have mentioned, you got it worse when you got home.

Definitely need "discipline" back in the schools.

Mr Conservation
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 AM

There were straps, and the kids were terrified of them. Fights and bullying were far less than what you would see today, because of fear of reprisal, but no less traumatic.
I never got the strap, but the mental punishment was just as mean. I remember the old *censored* making me stand in the back of the class arms straight out the sides palm up holding big heavy books. One day I had enough, lifted the as high as I could and et them fall with a boom. That ended that crap, as she shat herself when they hit.
I never did anything that deserved the strap, but wish they still allowed them. Kids run wild now, not Fair to themselves, teachers, or anyone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Yup ... got the strap two times in grade school.

The first time I deserved it, and I took it like a little man.

The second time (three years later) I got the strap again, but I didn't deserve it ... the teacher ended up in the hospital. After a bit of a kerfuffle, the charges against me were dropped, and the teacher lost his job.

TF
Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Note to self;

"do not mess with TF.....ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

tm
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Got it many a time....till they gave up.
I'm innocent I tell you !

Worked hard even as a kid. Hands were tough as iron.

Best one was when the teacher for grade 5&6 ask the class what you get out of a forest fire.
I yelled out "CRISPY CRITTERS" !

The whole class room burst out laughing. I got picked up by the ear and marched to the principles office. He asked her the why & when he heard the story it was all he could do not to burst out laughing......till she left.
He thought it funny too. Still got a "light" 5-6 on each hand though.

Last time was in grade 7 or 8 ? The second in command thought I needed a tune up. As the strap hit my hand I closed it & took the strap from him. Told him it was now his turn.
That turned out bad. Parents had to come to school right away for a big meeting.
Got home & Dad gave me a good tune up I still remember.

I decided not to have kids by 19 or 20. So I have no say in what is in schools now. I do know it never did me any lasting harm.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
X2!!
Cat
No strap when I was in school, but calling my parents, if my dad answered scared me more then any strap would.

I remember my dad telling me when he was a kid his dad would make him go get a branch from the willow tree and it had to be big enough and always threatened me with that.

Dad did spank us when deserved. He also would chase us up the stairs cause we would get hell if he caught us before we made it to our rooms. He never caught us but that worked better then anything else.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM

If a teacher hit my kid like they used to hit us, they would never find the body

I dont hold a grudge against all teachers for it tho

But my teachers are getting old now, some have died. I never attended any of the funerals, but I sent nice cards saying I approved of it
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
The strap, the ruler, the pointer,and the coach's foot.

The worst was when you were sent behind the house to cut your own switch. Too twitchy and it would sting like hell.Too much mass left bruises. Lots to consider while you picked your poison...and if you took too long it increased the number of lashes. Tough choices for a kid to make. If you hurried sometimes you were shown clemency, some times not. School didn't teach me discipline my family did.
LOL Here I thought my Dad was the only one that made me do that! I got the strap several times in school and probably deserved it. I'm all for bringing it back!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Once, grade 9, retaliated against a punch thrown at me. Beat the kid up. I got the mild strap, kid who started it got the beatdown strap.

Think some teachers took it too far though. Grade 9 science teacher for one. He was mean. Thank goodness all I ever got was a shot to the back of the head from him.

Whole lot more wrong with society and the youths of the world than corporal punishment in schools. Doubt sincerely bringing it back to the levels most of us older folks experienced back in the day would change anything. The morals of society have changed bigtime over the years, some for the better, some for the worse.

Capital punishment does not deter crime, proven fact so why would one think corporal punishment would change anything?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM

I never got the strap but got spanked in school. I was in grade 2 went out for the long play time and after some time needed to go to the bathroom. Asked the teacher on duty and was told you should have gone before coming out. so being the farm boy went to the back corner of the yard and peed on the fence. don't remember how many spanks i got but the principle gave them to me. once i got home and told my parents what happened. My father went down and removed a few teeth from the principle. and moved me from the public school to the catholic school where the nuns did not physically hurt you they had much better ways. cleaning the church with a tooth brush was one I remember.
I don't think the strap should be used. in today's schools the teachers a barely able to teach the kids (there are a few exceptions) I know of teachers that would abuse it to no end.
For the other principle I think he is dead by now and I hope it was a painful way to go. this principle was later charged with abuse of power and forced into early retirement. the province changed the laws after his case out lawing physical punishment in the schools.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post

Capital punishment does not deter crime, proven fact so why would one think corporal punishment would change anything?
Capitol punishment may not deter crime, but it absolutely 100% eliminates the possibility of a re-offense

My personal belief is that corporal punishment should have a place in schools, it was used when I went through, got the strap a couple times myself, and there certainly wasn't the problems with violence, disrespect to teachers ect.(not to say there wasn't any, it was just to a lessor degree), back then that we see and hear about today. If it were in place today, and my kid stepped out of line, and did something that warranted receiving the strap, the teacher would have my full support.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Well I don't remember getting the strap for anything I didn't deserve. I don't remember any teachers who gave the strap just because they took delight in it. You must have grown up in a twisted system if thats how your teachers were. We only got the strap for crossing boundaries we knew were not to be crossed even if it was only for not having clean hands without a good excuse. The simple lesson in all of it was to teach us that there were boundaries we could not cross without cost. We were not scared of our teachers or parents, we didn't hate them nor did they hate us. We were fully aware what would happen if we crossed those boundaries. We remember those lessons later in our lives. We did not consider it abuse as many people do today. Much of the problems with youth today stems from lack of discipline and lack of fear of doing wrong. When children can do whatever they want without fear of discipline, without fear of their parents or the law we wind up with all the problems we have today.

Why is it that just about every boy who went to school carried a knife of some sort in their pocket but there were no stabbings, we could bring a shotgun to school to hunt on the way home but there were no school shootings. It's because we knew that if we lipped of a teacher there were repercussions from them and worse when our parents found out. The classrooms were kept under strict control, even the smallest infraction was dealt with immediatly. Bad behavior was nipped in the bud before it got out of hand. Even though we carried knives it would have been inconceivable to us that we would even consider using them against a teacher or another student in a playground fight. The gist of it was that if you start young with 'fair' individual discipline it rarely gets out of hand in later years. Today we ignore discipline and many children are out of hand, instead of disciplining them we take away the freedom of carrying a pocket knife or a slingshot, we rob them of being responsible for themselves instead we lock down the entire school and punish the entire school because we are afraid to kick the ass of an individual who needs it. Today that individuals parent will sue the school instead of kicking the kids ass, the kid sees all this, what does he learn? He learns quickly that he can do whatever he wants, not be held responsible for it and is encouraged to continue this behavior because it amuses him. Everyone else gets punished or regulated more yet nothing happens to him.
Sounds right to me.

"Capital punishment does not deter crime" I'm not sure how you would prove that, but I do know the one they hang will not do it again.

My brother got the strap a few times but I only remember getting the strap in school once. My brother was younger than I was and was never a scholar. He had no interest in school ever. I was the opposite. Always did very well in school and loved the challenge. I spent a lot of time looking out for my brother, because he had one of those faces that said "punch me till your arms are tired" so he was bullied a lot. He would come home bruised and beat and I would seek out the miscreants and hang a licking on them.
Remember I sat behind Moses in grade two so this was a long time ago.
We had a black family move in to the area. A half dozen kids, about split between girls and boys. The oldest 2 boys, were in my class and the other was in my brother's.
For some reason the three of them swarmed my brother[ before swarming was popular]. I waded in and cleaned up. About that time the principal came out and collared me. She was a sour woman who was larger in her mind than she was in real life. She asked me what was going on, I said the three blacks had jumped my brother. That was my introduction to political correctness.

She was not concerned about my brother, his condition, the reason for the attack or anything other than I had called these boys black. She demanded I apologize for calling them black. As you can imagine my logic kicked in and that was the first time I got the strap. Twice. When I still would not apologize, I was suspended.

I was very surprised when my parents supported me. After a week at home I went back to school and nothing was ever said about it again. I know there was some arm twisting done, but I never heard the details.

I have no issues with the strap in schools. If a teacher abuses the process then deal with the teacher. The only time I got a little spooked was when my grade 12 teacher wanted to 'spank me' for being good. She was kidding .... I think.

I had a buddy who was a professional armed robber and kidnapper. He said the the legal system was a joke and very easy to manipulate. I saw him do it...going to university on a day pass while he was incarcerated. They still had the lash then and he said that was the most hated punishment there was.

"I got the strap at school for a lot of stuff that no kid should even be punished for"

NHO, what kind of things did you get strapped for that no one should be punished for?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

just before my time,I think they took it out a year or two before I started school, that didn't stop some teachers from grabbing you by the ear and halfway picking you off the ground by it, and dragging you to the office