Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Any Harley Guys that can answer a mechanical question?

Hey guys. I just picked up a 1990 Softail that I inherited from a buddy who passed on 2 years ago. The bike has sat for nearly 3 years with nothing being done to it (other than fuel stabilizer).

I checked all the fluids and flushed the gas out. The oil was a bit low, so I topped it up. The battery was good, so I fired it up, but when I did about 2 litres of oil dumped out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the crank case. Luckily, being a Harley, I had the forethought of putting an oil pan underneath it before I started it

I immediately shut it down, and spent some time re-grouping. I checked the oil level and it was full.

I fired it up again and no leak. Levels were all good and it ran like a charm.

So my question is would that oil have leaked down into the crank over three years? And if so, is there anything I need to do to sort it out? Or am I good to ride? (please say good to ride...please say good to ride )
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
Hey guys. I just picked up a 1990 Softail that I inherited from a buddy who passed on 2 years ago. The bike has sat for nearly 3 years with nothing being done to it (other than fuel stabilizer).

I checked all the fluids and flushed the gas out. The oil was a bit low, so I topped it up. The battery was good, so I fired it up, but when I did about 2 litres of oil dumped out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the crank case. Luckily, being a Harley, I had the forethought of putting an oil pan underneath it before I started it

I immediately shut it down, and spent some time re-grouping. I checked the oil level and it was full.

I fired it up again and no leak. Levels were all good and it ran like a charm.

So my question is would that oil have leaked down into the crank over three years? And if so, is there anything I need to do to sort it out? Or am I good to ride? (please say good to ride...please say good to ride )

So my guess is you overfilled it when you added the oil the first time? How much did you add? Remember it always looks worse then it is so I'm thinking there's no way 2 liters of oil was dumped.

Maybe the vent was plugged??

With it sitting over the 3 years, there's no oil can drain from anywhere, not to my knowledge anyway.

First thing you should do it warm it up and change all three oils, motor, primary, trany.

Change them before you go anywhere or you may be in for more repairs.

Does your bike have an oil tank?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Thumbs up Another AO member 'behind bars'!

Quote:
. . . The bike has sat for nearly 3 years with nothing being done to it (other than fuel stabilizer) . . .
Usually gas treated with fuel stabilizer is only good for about a year. You may find that your fuel system (tank to carbs) will need to be cleaned. It did start up for you though, so that's a sign that it may not be too badly gummed up.

Quote:
. . . The bike has sat for nearly 3 years with nothing being done to it . . . The battery was good, so I fired it up . . .
That ^ is a small miracle ! I've never heard of a battery lasting that long without any charging or maintenance!

Quote:
. . . so I fired it up, but when I did about 2 litres of oil dumped out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the crank case . . .
Sorry, I can't help with that ^ one ... I'm strictly Honda. There's quite a few Harley guys here though. I'm sure they'll help you out with that issue.

How about posting a few pics of your new ride, eh!

TF
Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
So my guess is you overfilled it when you added the oil the first time? How much did you add? Remember it always looks worse then it is so I'm thinking there's no way 2 liters of oil was dumped.
I only just topped it up the first time. Maybe half a liter? Not very much for sure. And maybe 2 liters was a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure looked like a lot. I didn't measure it, but it probably filled my drip pan 1/4 full.

Quote:
First thing you should do it warm it up and change all three oils, motor, primary, trany.

Change them before you go anywhere or you may be in for more repairs.
Yup. I thought of that as well. That is on the to-do list this week.

Quote:
Does your bike have an oil tank?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
I've never heard of a battery lasting that long without any charging or maintenance!
I know right? But it was good to go! I figured it would need a new battery, but it seems to be 100%.

Quote:
How about posting a few pics of your new ride, eh!
Thought you'd never ask

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Nice lookin' ride ... good luck, and have fun with it!

TF
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Yes, absolutely, you can over fill an engine that has been sitting. I have been riding and fixing harleys since the seventies. I have seen one put a quart of oil in the crank case in a few weeks. Nothing to worry about, change all your fluids, and keep an eye on your oil. If you know you arent going to ride for a bit, check your oil when you park it and see if the level changes when you check it before you fire it up.

Last edited by silver; 05-23-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Yes, absolutely, you can over fill an engine that has been sitting. I have been riding and fixing harleys since the seventies. I have seen one put a quart of oil in the crank case in a few weeks. Nothing to worry about, change all your fluids, and keep an eye on your oil. If you know you arent going to ride for a bit, check your oil when you park it and see if the level changes when you check it before you fire it up.
Beautiful. Thanks very much Brother. I was hoping this was the case.

Now can anyone tell me where the city cops are going to be hanging out measuring decibels? Cuz I am DEFINITELY going to need to avoid them
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Being a softtail, it should have a dry sump ? Did you fill the oil can ?

Sweet ride by the way !
Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
. . . Now can anyone tell me where the city cops are going to be hanging out measuring decibels? Cuz I am DEFINITELY going to need to avoid them
Calgary for sure ... they're starting next month.

After the novelty of those pipes wears off, you may find yourself attaching something quieter anyways. Your friends & neighbours will thank you for it

TF
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
After the novelty of those pipes wears off, you may find yourself attaching something quieter anyways. Your friends & neighbours will thank you for it
Yeah. I am not a fan of the loud pipes. On the highway at cruising speed it isn't too bad, but when it's choked and warming up...well, let me put it this way...the Catholics next door thought the Rapture was just a day late, and the Four Horsemen were coming down the street to do some judging
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

That oil coming out the breather tube after sitting for a while is normal. The oil tank sits above the oil pump. The only thing stopping the oil from gravity feeding into the engine is a steel check-ball. Not the best seal. Oil will seep into crankcase and the excess is spit out upon starting.

After the initial dumping of oil, it should not happen for the rest of the season. If it does, you could try replacing the check-ball. It takes 5 minutes and a flat blade screwdriver.

Just to make sure your oil pump is working correctly, look into your oil tank with the bike running and make sure you can see circulation. If you can, and all your fluids are fresh and tires are good with correct pressure, go for a ride!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Hey guys. I just picked up a 1990 Softail that I inherited from a buddy who passed on 2 years ago. The bike has sat for nearly 3 years with nothing being done to it
Might be worth while getting new ones ? Hate to read that they blew up on you....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=denver;951511]After the initial dumping of oil, it should not happen for the rest of the season. If it does, you could try replacing the check-ball. It takes 5 minutes and a flat blade screwdriver.[QUOTE]

Beautiful! Thanks Denver. I was just going through the original owner's manual and it actually lays it all out for me exactly as you described.

It actually recommends removing and plugging the oil tank feed fitting prior to putting the bike up for storage to eliminate the possibility of oil seeping past the check ball and filling the flywheel compartment with oil

Thanks Brother!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Default Great bike

Sounds like you have it all up and running now, its a nice bike, in the future you will likely have to replace that battery, I put mine on a saver all winter and start my bike each week to keep everything lubed, seals seem to last better that way, I use stabilizer in my boats but never in the bike because I start it and let it run in front of the garage, in the off season its just a good reason to polish her again..lol. Your buddy properly too excellent care of her so she will likely treat you well. Welcome to biking season!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver View Post
That oil coming out the breather tube after sitting for a while is normal. The oil tank sits above the oil pump. The only thing stopping the oil from gravity feeding into the engine is a steel check-ball. Not the best seal. Oil will seep into crankcase and the excess is spit out upon starting.

After the initial dumping of oil, it should not happen for the rest of the season. If it does, you could try replacing the check-ball. It takes 5 minutes and a flat blade screwdriver.

Just to make sure your oil pump is working correctly, look into your oil tank with the bike running and make sure you can see circulation. If you can, and all your fluids are fresh and tires are good with correct pressure, go for a ride!
My 91 Heritage does the same thing first time every season, old bikes and old guys rule