Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Mount Rushmore ideas?

I'm taking the family for a road trip to Mount Rushmore in a couple weeks, and was looking for interesting things to see.
We will be driving down to Montana, thru Wyoming and then to Custard Park, South Dakota and hopefully tenting right at Sylvan Lake near Mount Rushmore for a 10 days.
Kids are 6 and 3.

Planning to go the Lewis and Clark caves in montana, jewel caves, Custards last stand, Devil's thumb.

But other than that, pretty open. Any good hikes, fishing ideas or interesting things to see along the way?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Badlands in South Dakota are good. Devils Tower is pretty neat too. Depending on the route you choose through WY, Cody is a neat little town.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

White shell in southeastern Manitoba is vary nice if you want to make it into a loop when you come back home
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

I went to mount Rushmore several years ago...pretty cool. Though it looked much bigger in pictures. There's about 1000 tourist traps on the way there, reptile gardens, bears, go carts, and that kind of stuff.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Devils Tower - WY
Needles Highway - SD
Battle of Little Bighorn - MT
Deadwood - SD
Boone & Crockett - MT
Crazy Horse - SD
Minot Air Force Base - ND

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 05-23-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Default Lots to see

We took the 4 kids many years back and they had a blast and did a big trip of that area. Rushmore, Crazy horse, lots of caves, Wall Drug, Black Hills, Custer, Corn Palace, Devils Tower down to Yellowstone and we saw more. The geysers were a blast for the first few days too. Make sure when you are down that way go to the museum in Cody Wyoming. It is an old gun museum of all the old style things from the civil wars and the like. Depending on your time you may or may not find enough time to cover it all and still have time to put your feet up if you do it too quick.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Not too far from Rawlins Wyoming there is a patch of desert that is littered with millions of fosilized sharks teeth. Wyoming is my favourite state, I worked down there a few years ago. The number of Whitetail and Antelope has to be seen to believe.

Another place to check out is the Powder River canyon. The Powder River is where the Hole in the Wall gang had their hideout, I don't know if you saw the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but the Powder River was where they operated out of. I went looking for the Hole in the Wall, it is a natural cave where the outlaws had their stables for the horses.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 PM

If your going to Mt Rushmore check out the Crazy Horse monument. Its still under construction and its pretty sweet. Deadwood South Dakota is pretty cool. Oh and as already mentioned the Battle of the Little Big Horn, where Custer had his last stand. Just look out for snakes. Billings has a Cabelas if your passin through and if you want to go a bit off the beaten path Virginia City and Yellowstone NP.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Pheasants

6 & 3......they'll have a blast runnin' around and picken' up the birds

tm
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 AM

I'm with Rocky and Ford...

Crazy horse, rushmore, Devil's Tower, and Deadwood were my faves when I went in 2000.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

There are some badlands South East of Rapid City that makes Drumheller look silly. We were in Rapid City for July 4th last year and we wandered around the badlands for an afternoon a day or 2 before. It was 38 C and I loved it. And a good place for the kids is Bedrock of Flintstones fame. I can't remember the name of the town that it is located in though. It is on the South end of the black hills. Any tourist booth will have the pamphlet with directions.
We went through 4 caves: Thunder mountain, The Wind Caves, I can't seem to remember the names of the other 2.
I really enjoyed Custers Last Stand. The wife...not so much. But, again it was hot, and she hates that kind of hot. I could spend two days there looking around. I will be going back in the not to distant future.
I am a bit of a rock hound and I bet that I bought and brought back 300 lbs of neat looking rocks for the garden.
I have to agree with what was said about Mount Rushmore....I was sort of dissappointed because it does look so much bigger in photos than it is in real life. Don't get me wrong, it is impressive, but...
Deadwood is cool to see, but it is a huge tourist trap. Lots of people and hard to find parking. We did see the graves of Wild Bill and Calamity Jane though.
Driving around the Black Hills was a bit of an eyeopener. There are places that the road is so narrow that I folded in the Drivers side mirror because I was sure that it would get clipped by a passing truck. One buffalo on or near the road can stop all traffic flow. One day there was probably a hundred of the smelly beasts spread out all over the road and surrounding bush over 3 or 4 miles and all you can do is wait, and wait. And it is not so neat when they lay down on the road. One lane tunnels and 30 or 40 cars going both directons and everyone so patiently waiting their turn etc,etc.
There is a Cabelas in Rapid city. It is not one of their better ones but it is still good to see.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If your going to Mt Rushmore check out the Crazy Horse monument. Its still under construction and its pretty sweet. Deadwood South Dakota is pretty cool. Oh and as already mentioned the Battle of the Little Big Horn, where Custer had his last stand. Just look out for snakes. Billings has a Cabelas if your passin through and if you want to go a bit off the beaten path Virginia City and Yellowstone NP.
If you go to Virginia city make sure to take in the variety show at night, I have been many times and it is always funny.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Custers last stand at the Little Big Horn is interesting for adults - not sure on the kids.

Lewis & Clark caverns are great -- a bit of a walk up

Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are great -- lots of other tourist stuff especially for kids in the area.

Wind Caverns are good -- there are short and long tours here

SD Badlands is a great drive with lots of spots to stop and hike -- this is a fee park

Out of Bismark SD is the 7th Calvalry Outpost where Custer left from. It has a replic house and Barricks. Also a Slant Village which is pretty neat.

Watch out for ticks in the long grass areas -- there are lots of them.

SW Sk has the Big Muddy with guided tours which is neat country.

Have fun

Hugh
Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 PM

The trip through the Black Hills going south into Wyoming was breathtaking with all kinds of wildlife. The highlight of my trip.

Badlands are uber cool!

I took one look at Rushmore and thought, "What a waste of a perfectly good mountain!"

Stay away from Wall Drug! There is nothing to see. Tons of souvenir shops all selling the same junk.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Talking Slow night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

. . . Custard Park . . . Custards last stand . . .

~ General George Armstrong Custer ~

Anyone for Custard pie?!

Sorry Map Maker ... I just couldn't resist. I guess it's a slow night for me

TF