Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 PM

Question New hunter, what rifle?

Hello all. I am a middle age dude who hasn't shot anything larger than varmit. I am looking into a first rifle and I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I would like to get something soon and get some time in at the range before the fall. I'm looking for deer and elk. I have lots of practice chucking slugs out of a lightweight 12 gauge and I'm a big guy so I don't think I would be recoil sensitive. I don't want a cannon though as I go through a fair bit of ammo at the range and some of it isn't cheap.
So I'm thinking $1000ish tops with a scope. Popular candidates look like a savage axis, Mossberg patriot or Remington 783 in 270, 6.5, or 308. I would love a Winchester 70 or Remington 700 but they look a little pricy.
What would you guys recommend? What should I avoid?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Get a weatherby vanguard in 270 or 308

The basic synthetic/black one I think runs around 750$

That will leave you a couple hundred for a scope
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Get a Ruger m77 Hawkeye in 308 win or 270 win

Prophet river carries them

2-7 or 3-9 scope with a ballistic holdover reticle, you'll be happy out to 400 yards
Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 PM

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...98-m70-65x55-1
Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM

30-06. Bullet weight available 140 - 220.

Coyote gun to bear. Great first gun.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:49 PM

That's really nice too!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post

This
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Banned

You're right about a lot of choices out there . Something now to maybe consider would be do you want a detachable magazine and rifle weight , if it matters . I like the 308 of your picks so far .
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruster View Post
You're right about a lot of choices out there . Something now to maybe consider would be do you want a detachable magazine and rifle weight , if it matters . I like the 308 of your picks so far .
FYI for the OP, the Vangaurd can be retrofitted with a mag after the fact if you decide you want one. I am happy with the hinge plate, but it would be nice for hunting from a vehicle.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Very happy I went with the Vangaurd for my first centrefire. I went for a 6.5 caliber as I am not that big of a guy and I am recoil sensitive.

Go shoulder, cycle the actions, and read the reviews of everything around $700. The Vangaurd is a great deal, check out Howa as well - it is the same action and they have some rifle/scope packages all in under $1000.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:

.270 on sale-have one, great gun

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29822...t-action-rifle

Add this scope

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/59913...-dead-hold-bdc

Same rig I've got-can save you another $40-shoot me a pm

Last edited by Justfishin73; 01-14-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 AM

Mossberg Patriot is garbage, avoid. Most gun/scope set ups, the scope is junk. Avoid these packages.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:08 AM

If I had one gun, I’d get a CZ 30-06, 308 or 270 and never look back. Come to think of it I have “a few” guns and all that gets hunted with is my CZ 30-06.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Anything in the 6.5 creed it’s the master chamber of all rifles all heil
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If I had one gun, I’d get a CZ 30-06, 308 or 270 and never look back. Come to think of it I have “a few” guns and all that gets hunted with is my CZ 30-06.
While I like my Vangaurd, yesterday I was walking around looking for grouse with my 452 Lux and was regretting not getting the CZ with iron sights in 6.5x55 as my first centrefire. I just love every CZ I pick up!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
.270 on sale-have one, great gun

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29822...t-action-rifle

Add this scope

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/59913...-dead-hold-bdc

Same rig I've got-can save you another $40-shoot me a pm
That is an outstanding scope for the money. The bdc will be exactly 100y 200y 300y 400y 500y with 308 win 150 to 165gr bullets, or 270 150gr bullets, 3006 165 to 180gr.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Fabrique Nationale

Your best money spent would be to find an older well cared for rifle. I would suggest a rifle made at the Fabrique Nationale herstal armory in Belgium. These are extremely well made firearms that have a control round feed action. Usually go for $450-750.
As for caliber.......i'd say 30-06. By far the most versatile caliber for the game your hunting.
Good luck

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 01-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Your best money spent would be to find an older well cared for rifle. I would suggest a rifle made at the Fabrique Nationale herstal armory in Belgium. These are extremely well made firearms that have a control round feed action. Usually go for $450-750.
As for caliber.......i'd say 30-06. By far the most versatile caliber for the game your hunting.
Good luck
The issue being, that this is going to be a first rifle, as such , the OP likely doesn't know what to look out for in used rifles. The last thing that he needs , is to buy someone else's problem. As for scopes, keep it simple, no complicated reticals, or turrets, for a first rifle.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Good luck
This is good advice ! There are a lot of great high quality rifles available on the used market. Many of the pre 1990 offerings are simply superb and the prices are usually 40 -50% less than what you can buy over the counter today... warranty or not. Use the money you save to buy a top-end 'scope.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Excellent advice here. A Mossberg Patriot also punches above its weight IMO.

Please make use of the buy and sell here - while not always full of deals it does offer better equipment below box store costs, particularly on entry/budget equipment.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM

Default First Gun

I keep hearing really good things about the New Winchester XPRs. I will be buying something for my grandson soon, and I am likely to go that route.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM

You can pic up a used to almost new tikka t3x for 800 in stainless or 700 in blue,there's a as new 3006 on albertas town post for 850 stainless with riings,you may grab it for 800,200 bucks you can get a decent used scope,burris E1,bushnell 3200,3500 along with other brands.

Ammo is decent in 30 06 165 or so and plenty around,can kill any moose or elk easily ,or just look around for a 270 or 6.5.This stainless or blue is up to the owner,my rifles in blue shoot just as well as my stainless,plus they can be touched up cheap if you nick the bluing.

I can't see any reason not to get set up for 1000 bucks,there's tons of used stuff out there and not 60 year old deals where clips and stuff is hard to find.

There's also sales that pop up here and there,most good gun stores that move plenty of inventory grade there rifles when used and have in store gunsmiths to double check the rifle if you wish.Get them to email if it's good or excellent then you have proof on the condition they quoted you.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Lots of useful advice

I see quite a few people are recommending used which is something I never really considered. I am a little cautious as my own appraisal might not see any issues and if I were to get one in the mail I would just have to trust the seller. I even got a few PMs from the good folks here who might have a rifle to part with.
So what parts wear in a hunting rifle? I realize I'm not going to get a beautiful one in my price point so cosmetics are not really concerning. Stainless or blue is yet another thing to consider. My 12 gauge is a winchester in stainless and it seems to be holding up. My buddy has a rusty Mossberg that works just fine despite near complete negligence on his part. Can I assume rifles need a little more TLC?
Also thanks for all the help, you gun nuts sure are willing to share the knowledge!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
Popular candidates look like a savage axis, Mossberg patriot or Remington 783 in 270, 6.5, or 308.
Of the the 3 mentioned, the 783 would be you best bet. I've owned a couple and liked them. Get a lot of good reviews. There are lots of each right now after hunting season on the the used market.

Buy one of those with a good used scope and you'd be well under $1k, more like in the $500-$600 range with lots of $$ left over to buy ammo.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
Hello all. I am a middle age dude who hasn't shot anything larger than varmit. I am looking into a first rifle and I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I would like to get something soon and get some time in at the range before the fall. I'm looking for deer and elk. I have lots of practice chucking slugs out of a lightweight 12 gauge and I'm a big guy so I don't think I would be recoil sensitive. I don't want a cannon though as I go through a fair bit of ammo at the range and some of it isn't cheap.
So I'm thinking $1000ish tops with a scope. Popular candidates look like a savage axis, Mossberg patriot or Remington 783 in 270, 6.5, or 308. I would love a Winchester 70 or Remington 700 but they look a little pricy.
What would you guys recommend? What should I avoid?
$1000 without the scope but i would choose this all day long.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355047
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Flatlandliver;3911472]$1000 without the scope but i would choose this all day long.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355047[/QUOTE

Good advice here.

I would buy used quality any day over entry level. Your 1K budget should get a very nice used T3 (designed to be cheap to manufacture but punch above their weight), Win 70, Ruger 77 or older Remington 700 with a decent scope. Watch the buy and sell here, watch Townpost, watch CGN, look on line. I don't think you would go wrong with a 270, 280, 7-08, 308 or 30-06.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.
You can spend all your money on the latest greatest deermageddon super rifle, chambered in some deer be gone super cartridge and come home empty because the gun is the weakest part of the equation .
Spending time at the range and learning to properly shoot your rifle and hit where you are aiming. That means trigger control, steadiness , and being comfortable with your gun as if it's an old friend are much more important.
I would rather hunt with a person that uses a 12ga break action shotty that know what they are doing and is competent than someone with a fancy asx rifle they think is going to make up for the fact they didn't bother to get to the range till the day before the season opened,but its ok because the money they spent means the dang rifle should hunt the deer itself.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-14-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It seems to me there are more than a couple gun snobs on this site. There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.
You can spend all your money on the latest greatest deermageddon super rifle, chambered in some deer be gone super cartridge and come home empty because the gun is the weakest part of the equation .
Spending time at the range and learning to properly shoot your rifle and hit where you are aiming. That means trigger control, steadiness , and being comfortable with your gun as if it's an old friend are much more important.
I would rather hunt with a person that uses a 12ga break action shotty that know what they are doing and is competent than someone with a fancy asx rifle they think is going to make up for the fact they didn't bother to get to the range till the day before the season opened,but its ok because the money they spent means the dang rifle should hunt the deer itself.
It is also possible to buy good equipment and shoot it regularly and competently. Just because you spend a few bucks on a rig you like doesn't mean you don't know how to use it and haven't spent hours tuning it in. Everybody is entitled to use whatever gear they deem necessary.
Good grief
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
It is also possible to buy good equipment and shoot it regularly and competently. Just because you spend a few bucks on a rig you like doesn't mean you don't know how to use it and haven't spent hours tuning it in. Everybody is entitled to use whatever gear they deem necessary.
Good grief
Relax my friend , you missed my point . All I am saying is you don't have to spend a pile of dough to get into this game . He said he had 1000 to spend . My thoughts are put the majority of that into the optics. A 1000 dollar T3 still needs a scope. A $400 Axis can get a decent scope and still be under budget.
You're right ,"gun snob" was out of line probably and I intended to edit that out but forgot . I apologize if I hurt feelings.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It seems to me there are more than a couple gun snobs on this site. There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.

not gun snobs, OP asked for the best possible rifle/scope combo for a thousand bucks. had he asked for less or more money many here would try to advise on making the best possible decision with an eye to available funds. I try to make the most of my hard earned money just like everyone else. nothing wrong with a Savage or a Ruger, they are great entry level guns or for guys who have family commitments. these rifles are priced very attractively and will get you into the game. I know, I had guns like that at one time. over time, as I could afford it I upgraded. sorry if you feel insulted.