Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Levergun cleaning

do you do a full disassembly when you clean your lever? or just kind of clean and lube what you can get to easily.

I do both, depending on how dirty it is or if it sees any moisture, but I'd like to hear some opinions of those more knowledgeable than myself.

cheers

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Marlin Levers come apart very easy, you can get to about 90% of everything internal through the removal of a single screw.

Winchester's, well there's part of the reason I don't own any at this time.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Marlin Levers come apart very easy, you can get to about 90% of everything internal through the removal of a single screw.

Winchester's, well there's part of the reason I don't own any at this time.
Absolutely, and Browning BLR's ain't no picnic either.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Same with the '88. This is where Youtube is your friend.

For my 94's this is one of the few times I use a Boresnake.
I use a nylon brush around the breech bolt and face and carrier plus whatever else I can reach then wipe out with a clean rag.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM

66 Yellowboy is really a pain I use Triple 7 powder instead of holy black and only do a complete disassemble once a year. I open the action place it upside down in my vise then clean from the muzzle with a muzzle guard.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Banned

Winchester, BLR's, and a few others require extensive disassembly to open up the chamber for bore cleaning. Thus those are often cleaned from the muzzle end. Marlins on the other end can be dismantled with the removal of a single machine screw with a toolman on your belt. That screw drops the lever and allow the bolt to slide rearward. That simple design not only makes it easy to clean from chamber forward, but a desirable design to function without hicups. Thus, Marlins are my top choice of lever guns also
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 PM

mine's a 94. I have a pull through cleaning kit so I won't have to use a bore snake, I'll probably still take 'er all the way down once in a while just so I can clean and lightly lube all the action workings

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
mine's a 94. I have a pull through cleaning kit so I won't have to use a bore snake, I'll probably still take 'er all the way down once in a while just so I can clean and lightly lube all the action workings
You can clean the bore providing that you use a muzzle guide and protect the action internals with a rag when you push the rod through. If I were you, I would not use an oil to lube the action. I use spray graphite to lube the internals of those guns. Oils will mix with powder residue etc. and make mud in the action's internals. As an alternative, you may also want to get an instruction manual that refers to tearing down a 94 action.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
You'll have no problem's ... unless someone over tightened screw's ... not scary at all ... here's a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPlLQf73gQ