Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM

I own and use a sako 85 and it is a really is a good rifle. There is zero to complain about except maybe the price. However I have looked at and fondled the sako carbonlight it was the next level. If I had money to burn, I would certainly look closer at it. I'm not sure what they cost but I'm guessing over 3k.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I own and use a sako 85 and it is a really is a good rifle. There is zero to complain about except maybe the price. However I have looked at and fondled the sako carbonlight it was the next level. If I had money to burn, I would certainly look closer at it. I'm not sure what they cost but I'm guessing over 3k.

The carbonlights are well over $3000, and they have an extremely long LOP which can make it difficult to mount some scopes to obtain the proper eye relief. Sako also made the Bavarian carbines with a very long LOP, but at least a wood stock is easy to shorten.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Have I got a deal for you. Rmef Rem 700 xcr2 in a 300 rum.
haha. No thanks. 7mm reg mag is all this shoulder can handle...maybe a 300 win in a heavier rifle.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
haha. No thanks. 7mm reg mag is all this shoulder can handle...maybe a 300 win in a heavier rifle.
I hear ya. Lol. Be intrested in what you end up with.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM

Default rifle has been chosen

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I decided to go with another Cooper. I just love the feel of the Model 54 (short action) Jackson Hunter with a 22" barrel. It balances and shoulders so well, my favourite Cooper model by far.

Clay, from Prophet River, has a 7mm-08 in full stainless & synthetic coming in a couple of months, when it does it will be mine.

I own 2 Coopers already. Cooper Firearms and Clay have been top notch when dealing with a issue that came up in the past. Lets face it, problems sometimes come up and when they do its how they are dealt with that makes the experience, good or bad.

With Cooper and Prophet River my experience has been fantastic. They are getting my money again.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I decided to go with another Cooper. I just love the feel of the Model 54 (short action) Jackson Hunter with a 22" barrel. It balances and shoulders so well, my favourite Cooper model by far.

Clay, from Prophet River, has a 7mm-08 in full stainless & synthetic coming in a couple of months, when it does it will be mine.

I own 2 Coopers already. Cooper Firearms and Clay have been top notch when dealing with a issue that came up in the past. Lets face it, problems sometimes come up and when they do its how they are dealt with that makes the experience, good or bad.

With Cooper and Prophet River my experience has been fantastic. They are getting my money again.
You can never go wrong dealing with Clay. I have bought a dozen Coopers from him, and some higher end shotguns, and I may be making my biggest firearm purchase ever from him in the near future.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:

That sounds like a real winner, I've eyeballed that exact rifle a couple times when Clay had them in stock...but I can't believe it will shoot or feel any better than my Model 700 B&C in 7mm-08 that I had Corlanes bed and tune up, so spent that money on a revolver or two more than likely. My favorite cartridge by far for pretty much any occasion. I will say that I like the 24" barrel on mine, the 22" on the Cooper had me wondering if it would have similar mv, and shoulder and balance....let us know how you love it!

Edit: As an aside, I've seen Clay is stocking some rifles from Legendary Arms Works. I've read some really good reviews on them, but never had the chance to handle one. Does anyone have any real world experience with them and can comment? They look and sound like an excellent product as well, and I am considering maybe trying one in .308.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 04-25-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That sounds like a real winner, I've eyeballed that exact rifle a couple times when Clay had them in stock...but I can't believe it will shoot or feel any better than my Model 700 B&C in 7mm-08 that I had Corlanes bed and tune up, so spent that money on a revolver or two more than likely. My favorite cartridge by far for pretty much any occasion. I will say that I like the 24" barrel on mine, the 22" on the Cooper had me wondering if it would have similar mv, and shoulder and balance....let us know how you love it!

Edit: As an aside, I've seen Clay is stocking some rifles from Legendary Arms Works. I've read some really good reviews on them, but never had the chance to handle one. Does anyone have any real world experience with them and can comment? They look and sound like an excellent product as well, and I am considering maybe trying one in .308.
I love the 7mm-08! I currently have a Jackson Game (wood and blued barrel) in a 7mm-08, it is the rifle I always grab, its shoulders/points/carries perfectly for me.

I hope my Cooper shoots as well as your trued up Remington, but as far as feel goes, The Jackson Hunter/Game stock design it is the best feeling/fitting stock I have handled... and I have handled a lot. For me its worth it. A stock is like a pair of shoes...they must fit.

re: LAW, I wouldn't touch one right now. Call Clay before pulling the trigger on one.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM

Keep it simple. You are not going to be young forever. Stainless steel, with a good fiberglass stock, and a lightweight scope and mounts. 300 Winchester would be as big as I would go. 2.2-3.5 to 10 by 40-42 mm scope. Anything bigger is for highly specialized game. 8.25-8.5 pounds there abouts.

It is your rifle, so get what you like. What safety do you prefer? Do you want a detachable box magazine, or will a conventional magazine? Make a list and then after determining your wants, pull the trigger.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I love the 7mm-08! I currently have a Jackson Game (wood and blued barrel) in a 7mm-08, it is the rifle I always grab, its shoulders/points/carries perfectly for me.

I hope my Cooper shoots as well as your trued up Remington, but as far as feel goes, The Jackson Hunter/Game stock design it is the best feeling/fitting stock I have handled... and I have handled a lot. For me its worth it. A stock is like a pair of shoes...they must fit.

re: LAW, I wouldn't touch one right now. Call Clay before pulling the trigger on one.
Thanks for advice on LAW, will talk to Clay. The Cooper stocks are excellent I agree, sooner or later I will have to have one.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Good choice, Jay! What color stock?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Get a Weatherby Vanguard, SS.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/29822/...t-action-rifle

Invest in a trigger, and top end optics.

Use the money you saved in shooting and or load development, and a nice night on the town with the Mrs.
This right here. I had the weatherby S2 and it shot laser beams with any factory ammo I fed it. The synthetic stock on it is pretty high quality in my opinion but I threw a boyds stock on it eventually. I couldn't picture myself spending $3000 dollars on my hunting rifle. But I don't baby my rifle either.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Good choice, Jay! What color stock?

Black and red. There standard stock colour. It's nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 PM

It's my fav color. Much nicer than the green or tan.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Banned

I thought you were buying a Nula?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I thought you were buying a Nula?
too much money for me right now. Would like to hold one before I spend that kind of money.

Prophet River works for me with their consignment option and the price was "right"
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
too much money for me right now. Would like to hold one before I spend that kind of money.

Prophet River works for me with their consignment option and the price was "right"
Maybe hold out a little longer and wait for a Barret Fieldcraft?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Maybe hold out a little longer and wait for a Barret Fieldcraft?
I have seen it on some reviews/releases online. I will probably sell my Cooper Rem Mag when I "find" my next rifle.

Coopers short actions, M54's are sweet, Cooper magnum actions aren't my favourite, 26" barrels, little heavy, don't balance carry like their short actions.

The model 54's are about 6.5 pds, bare, with a 22" barrel which is a nice weight for me.