Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default Refugees

My post of refugees yester day was correct , l was accused of hate , it was a QUOTE by DOUG TODD OF VANCOUVER SUN , IN FACT THE story is still in the herald as l speak , go read it, a family of 4 get $50,000 a year.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Link to article?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Forever or first year? Just until kids are educated/grown/get jobs or until parents gain employment?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Link to article?
l don't know how , just go to Calgary herald , find the story about refugees struggling and read it.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Forever or first year? Just until kids are educated/grown/get jobs or until parents gain employment?
They get the child benefit up to 18 , the parents get $24,000 between them ,plus gst checks and welfare , as long as they pretty much want or until they want to work
Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Veterans should get this money first before new Canadians they did fight for what we have today just my thoughts
Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Link to article?
Here it is:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/na...646/story.html
Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
My post of refugees yester day was correct , l was accused of hate , it was a QUOTE by DOUG TODD OF VANCOUVER SUN , IN FACT THE story is still in the herald as l speak , go read it, a family of 4 get $50,000 a year.
Quit your whining. If you had 4 kids you would also qualify for these programs as do all canadians familys. You also can qualify for GST rebates.

You are very selective about your interpretation. They CAN get 50,000.00 if all things they might qualify for.
They get 12,000.00 per adult only as refugees.
Everything else are programs available to all familys.
Its the Vancouver sun, not the herald that has the story.

ITs 250,000 immigrants total NOT REFUGEES Stop being angry and get your facts straight.

Cat did not accuse you of hate, only that there was alot of hate in the thread.

MAC

Save time... see it my way

Last edited by MAC; 04-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Quit your whining. If you had 4 kids you would also qualify for these programs as do all canadians familys. You also can qualify for GST rebates.

You are very selective about your interpretation. They CAN get 50,000.00 if all things they might qualify for.

ITs 250,000 immigrants total NOT REFUGEES Stop being angry and get your facts straight.

MAC
Well put Mac.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post

THANKS bud , l didn't know how to post link.
About half way down , says they can get $50,000 thousand a year a family of 4
Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Well said Mac!

Its funny. We'll allow our governments to waste millions and millions of dollars useless stuff. But we put money into a human life and the rally cries begin.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

So that's where my $30K in taxes go.

After all is said and done, I am left with the same $50K the same as they get, only I have to work 40 hours a week and I can't afford to have kids, while they are rewarded for having more.

It's a sick world we live in & no surprise that the middle class is shrinking.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

MAC
My facts are straight , and l have the right to collect the same as them , but l,m not , l contributed to my pension , they contributed nothing , and l,ll whine all l like , they get $5,000 per child under 18 , $6,000 per child over 12 to 18 , we should all whine.
And they are refugees , and yes l can qualify too ,like you say , but l been here all my life and deserve it , do they? what did they contribute ,nothing
Yes its from the Vancouver sun , but in the herald today ,

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-12-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=fitzy;3515483]Well put Mac.[/QUOT

WELL PUT , Another one , good lord, l don't think so.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
My facts are straight , and l have the right to collect the same as them , but l,m not , l contributed to my pension , they contributed nothing , and l,ll whine all l like , they get $5,000 per child under 18 , $6,000 per child over 12 to 18 , we should all whine.
And they are refugees , and yes l can qualify too ,like you say , but l been here all my life and deserve it , do they? what did they contribute ,nothing
Yes its from the Vancouver sun , but in the herald today .
If you had children that qualified you would also get that money .
Because you don't have children that qualify you don't
Pretty simple
Keep breaking the rules by calling people that you quote idiots and action wil be taken
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
So working all your life is the determining factor?
So if you (or any Canadian) grievously injures themself on the first day on the job...meaning they have never paid taxes...the rest of us get to wash our hands of you and let you die?
Just wondering.
I personally would hate to go through life as bitter as some on this forum are.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Here are more accurate numbers:

http://www.lop.parl.gc.ca/Content/LO.../2011-94-e.htm

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...-part2-eng.pdf

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fact-...ners-1.2670735

They receive a start up allowance (some of it is a loan and has to be paid back), after which they get the same monthly welfare check as the rest of the population in their province.

Last edited by Immigrant; 04-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes its from the Vancouver sun , but in the herald today ,
You dont have the facts straight, its quite evident in your post that was locked.
Dont want to see it, fine thats your choice.
To compare your situation to a refugees is not reasonable. Yes you worked hard all your life and are now receiving a pension. They are young with familys and starting all over .
You ask what they have contributed, nothing to Canada yet. They have paid a large price with war and terrorists. They will, maybe not all but most.
If you are upset over the Canadian Child Benefit program thats fair. But its got nothing to do with refugees. I do feel our Vets deserve better and should be getting better treatment. But again nothing to do with refugees.

Since when has deserve been a factor in life. Everyone deserves better, but life will carry on regardless.

I truly wish you a good day.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Well said.
Quote:
You dont have the facts straight, its quite evident in your post that was locked.
Dont want to see it, fine thats your choice.
To compare your situation to a refugees is not reasonable. Yes you worked hard all your life and are now receiving a pension. They are young with familys and starting all over .
You ask what they have contributed, nothing to Canada yet. They have paid a large price with war and terrorists. They will, maybe not all but most.
If you are upset over the Canadian Child Benefit program thats fair. But its got nothing to do with refugees. I do feel our Vets deserve better and should be getting better treatment. But again nothing to do with refugees.

Since when has deserve been a factor in life. Everyone deserves better, but life will carry on regardless.

I truly wish you a good day.

MAC
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
So that's where my $30K in taxes go.

After all is said and done, I am left with the same $50K the same as they get, only I have to work 40 hours a week and I can't afford to have kids, while they are rewarded for having more.

It's a sick world we live in & no surprise that the middle class is shrinking.
If YOU have $50 000 in your pocket after taxes, that's $38 000 more than one of the refugees.

If you are the only bread-winner, your wife is a deduction that's $6000 MORE than what one refugee gets.

If you have kids, you are eligible for the same rebates/credits as their kids.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but they're not hosing us like Bombardier, or a plethora of other companies/industries that get breaks.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but a measure of the humanity of a culture is how it treats its most vulnerable.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but they're trying to start a new life in a new environment. They and their kids/grandkids will more than make up for the "free stuff" as they enter the Canadian workforce. Same as Canada has benefited from giving away "free land" to immigrants, 100 yrs ago.

(Dominion Lands Act was the 1872 piece of legislation that granted a quarter section of free land (160 acres or 64.7 hectares) to any settler 21 years of age or older who paid a ten–dollar registration fee, lived on his quarter section for three years, cultivated 30 acres (12.1 hectares), and built a permanent dwelling.)

In short, it's a good investment in our collective future.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Thumbs down

I think somebody on this thread needs to change his name to BigWhiner
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If you had children that qualified you would also get that money .
Because you don't have children that qualify you don't
Pretty simple
Keep breaking the rules by calling people that you quote idiots and action wil be taken
Cat
Or he could find a young hunny and start making babies, is it really $5000 per child under 18? Do people with kids really get that these days?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Or he could find a young hunny and start making babies, is it really $5000 per child under 18? Do people with kids really get that these days?
I believe the payment per child is based on income. 5000 is probably the max. My wife receives a cheque each month for our baby girl, but it won't come close to 5000 over the course of the year and I believe that is because the government thinks I make too much.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
If YOU have $50 000 in your pocket after taxes, that's $38 000 more than one of the refugees.

If you are the only bread-winner, your wife is a deduction that's $6000 MORE than what one refugee gets.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but they're not hosing us like Bombardier, or a plethora of other companies/industries that get breaks.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but a measure of the humanity of a culture is how it treats its most vulnerable.

It may seem like they're getting free stuff, but they're trying to start a new life in a new environment. They and their kids/grandkids will more than make up for the "free stuff" as they enter the Canadian workforce. Same as Canada has benefited from giving away "free land" to immigrants, 100 yrs ago.

(Dominion Lands Act was the 1872 piece of legislation that granted a quarter section of free land (160 acres or 64.7 hectares) to any settler 21 years of age or older who paid a ten–dollar registration fee, lived on his quarter section for three years, cultivated 30 acres (12.1 hectares), and built a permanent dwelling.)

Well said!

Some of you people on here are unbelievable.
If the government is not funding everything properly, then that's their fault, not the refugees. They are here to make a better life for themselves and their kids. Isn't that what most of us want as well and why our predecessors came to Canada as well (Unless you're a native/first nations) ?

Those who disagree need to get off their high horse and realize that their parents, grand parents, etc... came here with the same intentions.
While it was a different time and different conditions and reasons, the intention was the same. Our predecessors were immigrants or refugees once too, let that compute in your heads....

If you still disagree, stop being a keyboard hero and go protest about it or something else, that's what people usually do to voice their opinion, whining on here does nothing except show the outsiders looking in what some these Alberta Outdoorsmen are really like.
Oh and if you need actual legitimate things to complain about, try all the money blown on companies like Bombardier, all the money given to lazy people on welfare who actually do not want to work, all the wasted money on all the bureaucratic b.s. that goes on daily, the list goes on.

P.s. Ever wonder why Canadians are generally liked and welcomed around the world? Because we are known as kind, gentle, generous people, unlike other nations.

P.P.S. I am all for proper vetting and proper immigration process to ensure Canada remains safe for us all.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM

I am all for bringing in refugees. They are coming from a world that none of us can fully understand. They gave up everything they worked for to escape tyranny, to be free, and to try to provide a better safer life for their children, something every person on this page would. We need to help them get on their feet, without that they would never have a chance to contribute to society.

As long as we follow the processes in places for vetting these people all is good. The original plan of fast tracking the process was not right and thankfully the dumb dumb PM changed his mind on that.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by millartech; 04-12-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM

better not say anything on this one to many different opinions time will tell if this is good or bad for Canada and are kids will pay the price if it turns bad
Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Agreement here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
I am all for bringing in refugees. They are coming from a world that none of us can fully understand. They gave up everything they worked for to escape tyranny, to be free, and to try to provide a better safer life for their children, something every person on this page would. We need to help them get on their feet, without that they would never have a chance to contribute to society.
Also agree.

Quote:
I do feel our Vets deserve better and should be getting better treatment.
Also agree - you put your life on the line for this country, your pension for that should indexed to be at the level of a welfare-earner...AND be free to engage in whatever work you choose to gain income to add to that, without penalty to your pension. If you were injured during your service, you should receive a pension indexed to the level of that of an MP or MLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
They receive a start up allowance (some of it is a loan and has to be paid back), after which they get the same monthly welfare check as the rest of the population in their province.
And that is the key here - it's a temporary investment for long-term (think: generations) gain. They come in, receive temporary support to get their feet under themselves then join in contributing to the economy.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM

I’ve only known one refugee family. While working in Drayton Valley as a summer student in 1980 there was a Vietnamese family of boat people. Parents, grandparents, and two kids. The government set them up with a diner/Laundromat that had gone under, English lessons and a place to rent. We would go there to eat dinner a couple of times a week, the waitresses were locals. After a while the parents (cook and hostess) would sit and talk with us as we ate, talking about how they came to Canada and their new lives. Can you imagine the culture shock of coming from Vietnam to Drayton? They did not have much choice of where they were to live.

It is in Canadian’s best interest that these families succeed in their lives and settlement, becoming good citizens and paying taxes like the rest of us. The family was grateful for the opportunity and working harder than you can believe to do just that. They were doing well in adjusting and the initial boost was essential to their quick adaptation to Canada. After a few years these people will be contributors to society and pay back far more than the initial cost of setup, regardless of the humanitarian benefit of Canada’s decision to take them in. You can’t bring refugees into a strange culture and not do at least a minimum of assistance to help them adapt quickly.

Based on personal experience, refugees have no intent to become freeloaders, and they work hard to make the most of their new lives. I can’t say that about some of the general population, trying to game the system and take everything possible from government social services.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Talking Go For It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

The only way to know for sure, is to give it a try yourself ... just tell 'er to lie back, and think of Canada.

Let us know how many you produce, and all the bucks you rake in.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

This is complete hogwash.

Giving our money to refugees is not an "investment" for existing Canadian citizens - it's giving away our stuff for nothing in return. It's a total loss to Canadians who have to foot the bill, mostly the Middle Class.

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't like any government corruption and I think our government is already way too big and corrupt. You can't justify this further corruption because some other is worse.

Quote:
My wife and I really want to have kids, but we're not sure if we'll be able to or if it's worth it. We are in the falling Middle Class and we work 40 hours a week. Living in Canada and raising children is getting more and more expensive while our wages are stagnant or falling. Large part of it is because of government corruption including giving our money away to refugees.

Why does it cost so much for us while refugees can have kids at a fraction of the cost? Well, because we Canadians have standards in our culture for raising and educating our children. We don't want to raise them in poverty and have them grow up on the streets and likely get involved in crime. We are being responsible and saving for a $500K house and all the expenses required to raise kids these days either on one salary, or pay for child care so both parents can work.... I wonder why you don't have sympathy for us and tell us basically to "suck it up, the refugees are more deserving of your money and our sympathy than you." Do you really thing that refugees having kids in poverty conditions are going to sustain the Canadian culture, in place of existing Canadians who can't afford it?

And look, I'm not looking for sympathy at all. All I'm asking is that you stop talking my money away and giving it to someone else.... Take sympathy on refugees with your own private money if you want to and I will applaud you.

Quote:
a measure of the humanity of a culture is how it treats its most vulnerable.
Refugees aren't our most vulnerable, they aren't even in our culture to begin with. Our most vulernable are our dying Middle Class.

Maybe you meant to say this? "it's a measure of the humanity of our culture to sacrifice our own needs to take care of foreigners"

Quote:
Same as Canada has benefited from giving away "free land" to immigrants, 100 yrs ago.
"Canada" did not benefit, it doesn't care how many people are walking around on it. Who benefited was a small group of people, mostly the government, who make more $ from taxes - because none of that land was given away "for free" (taxes are owing yearly on all of it).

And once again, big government are exactly who stand to gain from the refugees. They know very well that refugees will bring more social in-fighting, more poverty, more destruction of the middle class, more voters in favor of big government, more people willing to accept corruption (it was worse where they came from), and so on. The rest of us aren't benefiting a hoot from it.
Closed Thread