Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Default Help changing careers

I guess I haven't had a real career yet, but you get the idea

Graduated as a 4th class PE few years ago right when the Patch turned upside down. Being fresh out of Highschool and no previous O&G experience I couldn't make anything of it.

I'm 20 with 5 years of general construction experience, Class 3 drivers license and some Heavy equipment operating exp. I'd like to get out of construction all together and was thinking about going back to school. I like being outdoors and was thinking maybe getting into something Forestry or Outdoor related not involving labor. (Land surveying, Technologist etc?) At the same time I'm also interested in most business topics and wouldn't mind wearing a suit and tie either.

I know most of you have family or friends in different fields and hear first hand what is working and what isn't. I've talked to counselors at the Polytechnics but I feel like they're just trying to sell me crap and not really there for my benefit.

Thank You!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Go army!

Head down to the recruiter, was a young man once, worked fishing industry, etc all went to hell, went down to the recruiter and never looked back until retiring, steady pay , not the greatest, pension, medical, sports scholarship...played lots of sports! travel, see the country and the world...got out and did 8 years in the patch for unicorn money and I tell ya sitting around the lunch rooms, crew trucks swapping stories I tell ya I did and seen more things then my combined crew all out together, that when you look back at cant be duplicated...just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Here is some career planning help you can access. Can help you know yourself better and get some info on different careers.

http://alis.alberta.ca/index.html

Now you will also want to know current and future job prospects. You can check with professional organizations. I'm pretty sure APEGGA will tell you it's not the best time to go get your geology degree.

Off the top of my head, with regard to "white collarish jobs", I'd say IT, business, healthcare, engineering (engineering is pretty widely applicable, not just oil and gas).
Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Default advice

Hi. I did 27 years in the Army and Air Force. Joined right out of highschool, and enjoyed it immensely. Best friends I ever had in my life, travelled the world (Africa, Afghanistan, Western/ Eastern Europe, India, and the USA), played sports, jumped out of airplanes, got a bachelors degree - paid for - and got paid good money to do it. I got medically released near the end (might have had something to do with jumping out of planes!!) but I would have stayed in for 30.

As a tradesman, you could get into Construction Engineering (CE) and might even qualify for a signing bonus. When I was in it was a three year minimum with an option for more years afterwards. You are only 20 something, try it out.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Old 04-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Default interesting

first post and choice of user name. 20 with 4th class PE and 5 years construction experience. Think I will take a knee
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Hi. I did 27 years in the Army and Air Force. Joined right out of highschool, and enjoyed it immensely. Best friends I ever had in my life, travelled the world (Africa, Afghanistan, Western/ Eastern Europe, India, and the USA), played sports, jumped out of airplanes, got a bachelors degree - paid for - and got paid good money to do it. I got medically released near the end (might have had something to do with jumping out of planes!!) but I would have stayed in for 30.

As a tradesman, you could get into Construction Engineering (CE) and might even qualify for a signing bonus. When I was in it was a three year minimum with an option for more years afterwards. You are only 20 something, try it out.
This is actually what was at the top of my list for sometime. I was looking into the Architectural & Building Tech course at BCIT because I've ran into some people that have had success with it. The NAIT one looks pretty similar.

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_76529.htm

From what I understand the course emphasizes on drafting and most people graduate the course and become CADD/Architectural Technologists. I'm horrible with drafting work, and anything to do with drawing/designing all together. Which is the main reason I pushed it aside.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
first post and choice of user name. 20 with 4th class PE and 5 years construction experience. Think I will take a knee
Generally you start in family business pretty early. Others maybe didn't have the opportunity. 4th Class was very easy as well, I'm not sure if you're trying to make fun of me or not.

Last edited by libtard; 04-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Default job advice

You got nothing to lose..go talk to a Canadian Forces recruiter or check their website. Free medical, dental, uniforms, a pension plan, and they'll pay for schooling (and trades tickets). Good luck..
Old 04-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You got nothing to lose..go talk to a Canadian Forces recruiter or check their website. Free medical, dental, uniforms, a pension plan, and they'll pay for schooling (and trades tickets). Good luck..
I have a question I'll message you about. Nevermind, I don't have sufficient access. Can you message me? Thanks
Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
I guess I haven't had a real career yet, but you get the idea

Graduated as a 4th class PE few years ago right when the Patch turned upside down. Being fresh out of Highschool and no previous O&G experience I couldn't make anything of it.

I'm 20 with 5 years of general construction experience, Class 3 drivers license and some Heavy equipment operating exp. I'd like to get out of construction all together and was thinking about going back to school. I like being outdoors and was thinking maybe getting into something Forestry or Outdoor related not involving labor. (Land surveying, Technologist etc?) At the same time I'm also interested in most business topics and wouldn't mind wearing a suit and tie either.

I know most of you have family or friends in different fields and hear first hand what is working and what isn't. I've talked to counselors at the Polytechnics but I feel like they're just trying to sell me crap and not really there for my benefit.

Thank You!
Would you ever consider anything in the health care field?? There are many different options and you would never be out of work. Starting wages usually begin over $30/hr and climb from there. Best of all is that you will have lots of time off with a normal schedule being 2 days, 2 nights and then 5 days off (4 vacation days gives you 2 weeks off). If you want to move anywhere it's usually a piece of cake to get a new job.
Just an idea from someone that was in your position years ago
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Agree wirh ScottH..health field is the way to go.

In 2010 I had the choice of PE or something in health, and I went with PE. I chose wrong.

Saturated field with too many guys trying for the remaining spots, and remember there are hospitals in every moderately decent sized center all across Canada. Plants? Ususally in bf nowhere. Want to try Australia for a while? Hawaii? Health field can give that option, much tougher with PE.

Armed forces is always worth a look as was mentioned. Air force would be my choice but that is just a personal interets bias.

Good luck whatever you choose, just try to sort of like it! I envy the opportunities you have to choose from!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Would you ever consider anything in the health care field?? There are many different options and you would never be out of work. Starting wages usually begin over $30/hr and climb from there. Best of all is that you will have lots of time off with a normal schedule being 2 days, 2 nights and then 5 days off (4 vacation days gives you 2 weeks off). If you want to move anywhere it's usually a piece of cake to get a new job.
Just an idea from someone that was in your position years ago
X-Ray tech sounds not too bad. Funny because I've actually gained some interest in Healthcare AFTER finishing highschool. Have my Physics and Chem but no Biology

I'm going to take a look into some more health care stuff. Looking down every avenue makes you forget some haha
Old 04-03-2017, 08:04 PM

Default not making fun of you at all

It seems to be a legit question however we do have healthy skepicism here as what we refer to as "trolls" often come to a hunting forum with non outdoors related questions as a first post. Your choice of user name didnt help because we often refer to the eastern politicians by that name. No intent to offend or make fun of you just questioning first post. Welcome and carry on, sorry for the derail.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
X-Ray tech sounds not too bad. Funny because I've actually gained some interest in Healthcare AFTER finishing highschool. Have my Physics and Chem but no Biology

I'm going to take a look into some more health care stuff. Looking down every avenue makes you forget some haha
Any of those courses can be upgraded. Maybe take a look into Respiratory Therapy. It's not a well known field but you spend most of your time in an ICU, ER or OR. There's also a ton of opportunity with sleep medicine/obstructive sleep apnea (CPAP) if a hospital work enviroment doesn't work for you.
Good luck
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Aren't your trade tickets only good for the military tho?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Your in Alberta, you can do whatever you want to do, with the right attitude.

Try to figure out what you really enjoy doing in life and get a job doing that.

Where i can from, whenever i complained about my job, they always told me "just be glad you have a job". 21 years ive been out here and never laid off for a day.

When i moved out here, i decided i wanted to try building log homes, so i went and talked to a builder. He wouldnt hire me cuz i had no experience. I told him i would work for free for experience, a month later i was on the payroll.

Just get out there.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 AM

If you remember the movie "Graduate" the fellow gave him just one word of advise " Plastic" in the 60's. Today in Alberta I would give you just one word
"Diesel" This province runs on diesel engines and equipment that need to be repaired all the time.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
Aren't your trade tickets only good for the military tho?
Nope some are civi qual.
NDT etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-05-2017, 01:55 AM
Banned

Default .

Drive a city bus , $30 bucks an hr , uniform , no boss on your back ,all health benefits , pension , your outside , warm all year , meet lots of girls , stop for donuts and coffee any time you like , hrs kind of crappy when you first start , best job in the world.
CITY OF CALGARY
Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 AM

Your young, go enjoy your life. You only live once so take a year or two and go be a ski bum, or rodeo, or play in a band, or whatever else you can think of. No rush to settle into a career at 20 unless you want to be a doctor or fighter pilot.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 AM

Default Career

Fish Cop

Steve In GP

Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
This is actually what was at the top of my list for sometime. I was looking into the Architectural & Building Tech course at BCIT because I've ran into some people that have had success with it. The NAIT one looks pretty similar.

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_76529.htm

From what I understand the course emphasizes on drafting and most people graduate the course and become CADD/Architectural Technologists. I'm horrible with drafting work, and anything to do with drawing/designing all together. Which is the main reason I pushed it aside.

I took the course at SAIT. if you want into residential construction I would HIGHLY recommend it. Doesn't much matter who I talk to in the business they've taken it. My company of 40 has 10 I believe that took the course. I'm doing residential estimating currently, you're definitely not tied to drafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 PM

HVAC controls tech, the big guys (Johnson controls, Honeywell etc) seem to want a thousand bucks every time they open their mouth.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Land Surveyor
It is only another 4 years of university and few extra profession courses after and min 6 months in the field ( as party chief, not to mention 6 months to a year as helper to party chief . And min 6 months in office as supervisor
The fastest you can become Land Surveyor is 6 years, for salary $120,000/ year
Good luck what ever you choose to be
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Generally you start in family business pretty early. Others maybe didn't have the opportunity. 4th Class was very easy as well, I'm not sure if you're trying to make fun of me or not.

Got your 4th 3 yrs ago . two semesters to get your 4a/4b , firing time , then absa exam . What you went to sait/nait when you were 15-16 ??

Last edited by 88thunderbird; 04-06-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Depends, my son took 4a-b at age 17-18, steam lab at 18-19.
Full 4th at 19, he just turned 20 and works safety til a PE job comes his way.

TBark
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
Got your 4th 3 yrs ago . two semesters to get your 4a/4b , firing time , then absa exam . What you went to sait/nait when you were 15-16 ??
Took me 10 months to do it all. 4th certificate in my hand few weeks after my 19th birthday. lol

Last edited by libtard; 04-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
Land Surveyor
It is only another 4 years of university and few extra profession courses after and min 6 months in the field ( as party chief, not to mention 6 months to a year as helper to party chief . And min 6 months in office as supervisor
The fastest you can become Land Surveyor is 6 years, for salary $120,000/ year
Good luck what ever you choose to be
It's 2 years in Geomatics Engineering Technology at any of the Polytechnics. You apply to void certain exams after you complete the course because your GET Diploma already covered it. You write only a few exams and then apply for Land Surveyor In Training, work 2 years, do an interview. Bang, you're now certified.

Obviously you work your way from an assistant and you may not be a "land surveyor" for 6 years but you're certified after 4 (2 of them being work exp). Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain91 View Post
I took the course at SAIT. if you want into residential construction I would HIGHLY recommend it. Doesn't much matter who I talk to in the business they've taken it. My company of 40 has 10 I believe that took the course. I'm doing residential estimating currently, you're definitely not tied to drafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a question maybe you'd be able to answer if you could PM me.