Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Pontoon Boat Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Fin control works just fine to hold you.
Don
What fins do you use & suggest Don?

I'm interested on what fins others have used. Would prefer ones to use over wading boots. I've heard Force are the best but it's hard to justify the cost.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Default Fins

I have used Force fins for about 15 years. If your going to get some you may as well get a good pair that are going to last and work well. Just be sure to get some tether's and you will have them for life.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Force fins as well.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 PM

I have the basic Outcast ones, and though I have nothing to compare them to, they seem fine. I remain curious about the Outcast Power Kick ones; msrp on them is significantly better than Force Fin, and they look remarkably similar in terms of their shape.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigged3 View Post
What fins do you use & suggest Don?

I'm interested on what fins others have used. Would prefer ones to use over wading boots. I've heard Force are the best but it's hard to justify the cost.
Hi,
I've been at this tubing/pontoon thing for a while. First belly boat in 1972. I bought divers fins as that is all there was. Later more options became available. Spent the $200 for Force Fins. Used them for 3>4 times and sold them. They are terribly inefficient as that slack in the harness must be taken up before the Fin moves. Went back to my divers fins.
A couple of things, I do not use wading boots. I use waders large enough to accommodate 4 pairs of socks. The reason, I fish from ice off to ice on. Lots of socks keep you warm.
And if you decide to go this route, make sure your fins are large enough to accommodate the extra clothing.
And use tethers. Most fins do not float. Force fins sink well from what I've seen.
If you only fish with the "boys of summer", wading boots work fine.

Regards,

Don
Old 03-06-2017, 02:37 PM

I use Force Fins with my pontoon boat and my float tube. My fishing partner has tried Force Fins and the regular Outcast fins but stayed with the Outcast fins. If I lost the Force Fins, I'd just go back to regular Outcast fins as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Thx for your input gents. Could you elaborate more on the dive fin style you're using Don. Length, width, vents, how rigid...

Are the Force, Outcast etc.. harder or easier on the joints in comparison to dive fins?

I'd be intersted to hear from anyone using the Outcast Power Kick fins and there pro's & cons.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 PM

The Force Fins do seems a little easier on the calves and ankles although I don't think it is that significant. The only major difference I noticed was that it is certainly easier to walk with Force Fins on. I wouldn't spend the extra money for that reason though!

The other thing to consider is that the fins won't be your primary means of travel like they are with a float tube. You'll probably use your oars to move any significant distance, so the efficiency of the fins is less a concern.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Don doesn't like'm but I prefer Force fins over dive fins. Force only move water efficiently on the kicking up stroke whereas dive fins will move water on both sides of the kicking motion. I found dive fins, working as they do, very hard on my screwed up knees and with forcefins I could kick all day with very little pain. As far as wading boots for stillwater, I normally wear a sz 11 wading boot. For stillwater I bought a cheap pair of Hodgeman boots in sz 13or14 (?) for under $100 and I'll wear 3 pair of socks ( polyprop base, med wt merino wool and a heavy pair of merinos) with out crowding my toes and it takes a few hrs in damned cold water before my feet will suffer the chills.

Works for me, your mileage may vary
Old 03-07-2017, 06:29 PM

For a pontoon, it probably doesn't matter.
In a float tube, a big set of dive fins provide a way more locomotion power (important for long trips or in the wind). Mine are relatively soft rubber with ports in the middle. I tried force fins...not near as efficient as dive fins.
I put dive fins right on my waders and can tie my boots to my Fish Cat 4 if I think I will need them.
I have had knee issues for 40 years but have never been bothered by dive fins. I guess my knee issues are different than Taco's.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Don't know GS, kicking up and straightening my leg under power doesn't bother me, t'other way is no joy. Too many dink broncs and black diamond runs gone awry in my misspent youth I guess. But I'll tell you what, once you get on to those force fins and their one way powerstroke I know for a fact you can kick a Super Fatcat into a Police or Bullshead wind pretty darn good as well. My pontoon nowadays is a glorified float tube, an OSG Stealth Pro and I still use my fins a lot.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Taco and I share knee and hip injuries. I'm over-do for knee replacements. Never had an issue with diver fins.
The best system I've seen was made by Browning. This diver fin had a plastic insert that was remove able allowing both boots and stocking foot waders W/O boots to be worn.
My diver fins were purchased in 1972 and the design is no longer made.

And from the Force Fin web site, the following was copied:

Burn more calories
Increase fitness and conditioning levels
Develop kick strength and flexibility
Improve body position and swim technique
Slim your thighs, tighten your buns, and
Swim fast.

Taco, are you getting conditioned?

And for those guys looking for fins in Calgary, there is a diver shop on the east side of Macleod close to the Chinook Shopping Mall.

Don
Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Myself I too prefer the force fins..whatever brand you get make sure they have a strong rubber strap and robust connector clasp..also try not to get the pair that have been sitting on the shelf for a while...a few years ago I bought some new force fins at a local store , 2nd float down the bow one fin snapped clear thru the thick area just in front of the toe hole...can only figured they had dried out somehow in the shop or were defective...bought another pair and eventually lost one of them but now have a pair
that are mismatched by effective...sk