Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Default Single mom facing jail for selling food

Thought this was pretty funny.

She was part of a food group in California on the internet. They set up a sting and caught her selling a plate of food to an official. Now she's facing time in jail.

http://fox40.com/2016/11/04/woman-fa...ok-food-group/

A Stockton woman faces an impending trial and potential jail time after she joined a social media community food group, and sold some of the meals she cooked, which county San Joaquin County officials say is against the law.

Mariza Reulas was cited by San Joaquin County for selling an illegal substance, but it wasn't a powder, a pill or a plant. It was her bowl of homemade ceviche.

"It was just like unreal that they were saying you could face up to a year in jail,” said Reulas.

"When they talk about potential jail time for this, what goes through your mind?," asked FOX40.

"My kids,” responded Reulas.

Without a father in their life, Reulas says the thought of having to leave her kids scares her. Every court appearance takes a toll on her youngest son, six-year-old Justice.

"The night before he always asks like are you going to come back?” said Reulas.

Nothing tastes better than free phones. Her youngest is named "Justice". You can't write this stuff. Best show on Earth.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 AM

I heard this story this morning on the news as well. The other story I listened to was about the policeman shot and killed in the Bronx by a career criminal with 17 prior arrests. It's sad that this slime was at a large after all that but hey, at least this lady causing all this mayhem is off the streets. I don't find it funny at all. Only sad. Carry on.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I heard this story this morning on the news as well. The other story I listened to was about the policeman shot and killed in the Bronx by a career criminal with 17 prior arrests. It's sad that this slime was at a large after all that but hey, at least this lady causing all this mayhem is off the streets. I don't find it funny at all. Only sad. Carry on.
Exactly.....
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 AM

No different than here. If you want to sell home made pies and the like,at farmer's markets, you have to have a "legal" kitchen. Just me, but I even scrutinize the bringers at Pot Lucks to decide what is safe to eat.

Grizz
Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 AM

I'm curious as to why the OP left out a lot of the article, specifically the part where the group was warned before they were charged.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
I'm curious as to why the OP left out a lot of the article, specifically the part where the group was warned before they were charged.
Wouldn't be much of a story if the facts were included now would it?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM

Default Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
No different than here. If you want to sell home made pies and the like,at farmer's markets, you have to have a "legal" kitchen. Just me, but I even scrutinize the bringers at Pot Lucks to decide what is safe to eat.

Grizz
Agreed!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Where did you find that information?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM

So, we have a woman who is part of a public internet group which RECEIVED A WARNING PRIOR TO ANY CHARGES, who then chose to disregard the warning and continue to break the law, and then chose to NOT take a plea-bargain like the rest of those who continued to break the law after the warning --- and we're supposed to consider this to be "news" and feel sorry for her?

I also don't get just where her choice to bring children in to the world by herself (and then proceed to teach them that there are laws that just don't apply to her or them and that it's okay to ignore those laws) is in any way relevant to her conscious decisions to break the law and then go to court and cost the taxpayers a pile of money in court fees instead of admitting guilt and paying the cost.

Being female and reproducing without a permanent partner are NOT valid justification for not accepting responsibility for the consequences of your actions. There is a law in place that applies to EVERYONE, and NOT "everyone except single Moms", and she can't even use the excuse of being ignorant of that law, since they were warned first. It's a bit late now to be all concerned about what will happen to the children - she should have considered that before she chose to continue to break the law and when she was given a choice of a plea-bargain.

Sheesh - does this mean that being a single Mom makes someone exempt from all of the "little" laws - like speeding, and trespassing, and hunting/fishing without a license? Just where do you draw the line?

Comparing this to other incidents of crime, in severity and punishment, doesn't make any sense either, unless it is to point out the idiocy of a tiny little incident like this making the news and being propagated through social media as being as important (if not more important) than far more serious crimes.

If you don't agree with the existence of a law, then there are channels and methods to fight for it to be changed. Breaking the law and then trying to use your marital / parental status as an excuse to not be charged is NOT a reasonable or acceptable method of changing laws.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Where did you find that information?
Ruga, really.. you need to read the parts of an article you edit out. Also that she refused a plea deal that would have resulted in probation. Only person putting her kids at risk is her.

"Reulas refused to plea down to three years of probation. Now the single mother of six is headed to trial and could end up in jail.

"I don't write the laws, I enforce them. And the legislature has felt that this is a crime,” said San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Kelly McDaniel. She says selling any food not subject to health department inspection puts whoever eats it in real danger, not to mention it undercuts business owners who do get permits to make their food.

She says the 209 Food Spot Facebook group was sent a warning before charges were handed down."
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

Ummmm, yeah. That's why I thought it was funny. The very system she likely spent her whole life voting for wound up biting her in the keister because she doesn't think it's "fair".

MMMmmmmmm. Delicious.

PS: All the information is clearly in the link I provided.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

PS: All the information is clearly in the link I provided.
True. So I was confused when you wrote "Where did you find that information? " LOL It's in the article link you posted, and deleted from the quote you edited and presented.

Just busting your balls Ruga. Happy Monday!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:01 AM

I get that there's the potential for food to be prepared improperly, which could cause illness/death, and there would be no insurance or anything backing the individual making the food... But potential jail time seems a little extreme.

Then again, many minor crimes carry the potential for jail time that rarely actually result in it.

Meh, I can see both sides. Maybe if the police tell you to stop doing something, you should stop doing it?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
I get that there's the potential for food to be prepared improperly, which could cause illness/death, and there would be no insurance or anything backing the individual making the food... But potential jail time seems a little extreme.

Then again, many minor crimes carry the potential for jail time that rarely actually result in it.

Meh, I can see both sides. Maybe if the police tell you to stop doing something, you should stop doing it?
I know in Florida they have what is called a "Cottage Food Law". Don't know all the details, but it restricts to a producer selling less than $15,000/year and only certain foods can be sold.

I've bought some outstanding jams and preserves at local farmer markets there, and they are clearly labelled as to the law that they comply with. I think it is a great way to provide home made goods to consumers.

List of what is and isn't allowed in the link below. I find it strange that pickles is on the prohibited list though.

https://gainesvilleartscene.com/2015...age-food-laws/
Old 11-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
You must be new here....