Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 PM

Default wood burning stoves

I just bought some recreational property in NE alberta which has a 12 foot by 12 foot bunkhouse on it. The only thing missing is a small woodburning stove ( the story is that someone broke in and stole the old one). Anyways what I am asking is what should I be looking for in a new one or does anyone know of a good manufacturer/retailer in the Edmonton area?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Suspended User

Check Canadian Tire first. They have good units and decent prices. I heat my place with one I bought there all winter. That small of a shack won't take much.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default wood stove

If you are out in the boonies, the fire code may not apply, or may not apply as rigorously as in the cities/towns...

Regardless, there are good quality used stoves available in Edmonton or Calgary... These cities building codes/bylaws make older stoves unusable and these generally go into the after market (ie bargainfinder).

As for chimney, these can be expensive but its best to do them right... Best place to buy chimney and black pipe components is Ecco Plumbing in Edmonton or Calgary... The Edmonton location is at 14760 - 116th Ave., Edmonton, AB, T5M 3G1 and the phone number is (780) 479-1946.

If you have a company or a friend who has a company, particularly if it is in the construction, plumbing, electrical or gas fitting end of things, you can get a significant discount over retail pricing... sometimes over 50 percent...

Good luck
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 PM

X2 on Crappy Tire, I picked one up there on sale last fall for my Cabin. It is called the Maple Leaf, works great and was 209 plus tax. My Cabin is 12 x 16, so about the same size. Whatever you get make sure you can adjust the air or you'll be cooked out in no time in a small cabin like ours.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 PM

I can vouch for Homesteader's stove! That thing was so friggin' hot, I had to keep the Keith's about 8 feet away from the cabin to keep it at the right temperature. It was so hot - every whitetail in the area disappeared.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM

I have used the air tight ones you get at campers village. They work great. Dampers on the front of the stove as well as the chimney! Check them out forsure!

http://www.campers-village.com/asset...f/08outfit.pdf

If the above address does not work. Download the "outfitters" part of the catalog and you will see the ones I am talking about.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Default wood stove

Rick at the fireplace gallery in edmonton good guy there got me a wood burning insert for a old fire place im happy with it works great has a fan and blows great heat cook ya out in no time

Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Stony Plain Coop. Not sure on prices.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

20 years ago Stony Plain Coop had the best prices on woodstoves (model for model) in the province. 2 years ago my friend did a lot of shopping around and bought his from them as well - so I assume not much has changed.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple b View Post
I just bought some recreational property in NE alberta which has a 12 foot by 12 foot bunkhouse on it. The only thing missing is a small woodburning stove ( the story is that someone broke in and stole the old one). Anyways what I am asking is what should I be looking for in a new one or does anyone know of a good manufacturer/retailer in the Edmonton area?

fire reflecting on ash pan

Stoves should burn vertical, I do not know what happened for the style to change to horizontal. Most radiation from a horizontal stove is up and down not outward to the body beside the fire. One room school houses all over Alberta had tall vertical stoves or pot belly stoves in homes

The stove in the picture can burn a load of wood slow and hot from the top down. The potbelly could not do that because it was not air tight at the bottom. This stove has an internal baffle that makes the cooking surface hotter and stops sparks (no spark arrestor needed). You can make one for yourself, I have the pattern. you find the can and tin snips. Check my album on the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 inch (5gallon) stove,full view.jpg (41.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 37, 11inch(5gallon) stove, fire view.jpg (45.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by chimpac; 04-08-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I have used the air tight ones you get at campers village. They work great. Dampers on the front of the stove as well as the chimney! Check them out forsure!

http://www.campers-village.com/asset...f/08outfit.pdf

If the above address does not work. Download the "outfitters" part of the catalog and you will see the ones I am talking about.
I have the stove indicated in this brochure the 20'. I like it and it get my 12X14 Tent comfortable even in -15 weather.

There are two thing about mine you have to get up at night and add wood since it will burn out before morning and if you stock it full and make it burn hot the cover gitters a little bit. If you get this stove get the biggest one you can get and I put a rock on the cover so it stops gittering when I make it burn hot.

And they are tough unit too, my buddy ran over it with his quad by accident and I hit it with my truck once but it is still working as good as new.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Default REDHOT STOVES at EDMONTON EXPO

I was recently at the Edmonton Boat and Outdoorsman Expo and came by this guy who makes thick potbelly stoves. Pretty cool little uprights. I'm looking for a pellet stove but these were neat-

as.jpg

redhotstoves.wixsite.com/redhot
Old 04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

There is a big steel factory built wood burner on kijiji Grande Prairie listed today for $50 , brass door with glass, looks like big enough for 1200 sq ft

Get someone to pic it up for you,,,
Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 PM

I doubt he's still looking,
8 year old thread, but a stove is a stove I guess, ha.

TBark
Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Potbelly Wood Burning and Pellet Stove

Sorry ...here is the link for the stoves I found.

www.redhotstoves.wixsite.com/redhot
Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingPrivateBugout View Post
Sorry ...here is the link for the stoves I found.

www.redhotstoves.wixsite.com/redhot
Yup, checked those out and entered the raffle. Nice units!

Some of those designs are compact enough to install in a utility trailer... Hmmmm...