Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
I have seen too many people spend a ridiculous amount of money on the wedding and can't afford to go on a honeymoon trip.
I just don't get that rationale at all.
That`s right,tell your bride it`s either pictures or a honeymoon.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
Very good point but the law of averages these days dictates that most people will have more than one vacation.....if you follow my reasoning?
If you head into your only vacation with the thought that there's a chance you might take another vacation down the road, then you probably will. If you catch my drift
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
If you head into your only vacation with the thought that there's a chance you might take another vacation down the road, then you probably will. If you catch my drift
Oh I caught it.....and best of luck to all newlyweds...seriously
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM

We will be doing it on the cheap. No need to go into the poor house for a wedding never understood that.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Congrats!

If I may offer advice, unless you and/or your wife are dead-set on super-professional quality pictures, a different and more cost-effective route to go would be to buy a disposable camera for each table at the reception, and to hire an "amateur" for the actual ceremony.

As long as they've got reasonable equipment you probably won't notice the difference. And the disposable cameras always provide for a much more.... personalized feel on the pictures.

But that's just me, my mom's a hobbyist photographer so she ended up doing most of our wedding pictures. To each their own. It'll cost less this way, if you're looking to trim your wedding budget and don't mind the pictures having this feel.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM

So question anybody have some amature photographers they recommend?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
Now your talkin....

.as I said earlier.....maybe try calling a photography school
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM

My wife and I got married at a drive thru in Vegas a year and a half ago. The upgrade for the top picture package was $80 extra. (Not joking).
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver View Post
My wife and I got married at a drive thru in Vegas a year and a half ago. The upgrade for the top picture package was $80 extra. (Not joking).
Yah I tried the Vegas thing that was out lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Our photographer was free as well. She was just starting and had done some family photos for us that we liked. When she offered to do our wedding for free we jumped on it. We ended up making her take 500 for her time and equiptment etc but our photos turned out good. Prob is she is in the $3-4k range now.
I like the idea of the disposable camers on each table. Some of our best shots are candids' that the phtographer missed while switching camer,flashes lighting etc.
I have a sister in Edmonton and she may know someone starting out. If I find anyone I'll PM you. That being said, if they are just starting out now they will probably be a lot more expenseive by next year.

Either way, congrats on getting married.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

50 or more disposable camera,hundreds of semi drunk guests.I bet you get more divorce photo`s than wedding ones
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM

We got our wedding photos done by Helga Himer photography. We didnt have a huge wedding so ours were a little under 2 grand but turned out great. She has a price list available so you can pick the package you want. Anyways you can check out her website here http://www.helgaphotography.com and give her a call early because she books up quick if your interested. Good luck with the wedding, hope it all works out well for you and the fiancé.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM

We are getting married Saturday, and we paid 3600$ for photography. I was blown away at first but it seems to be the going rate. her name is Dara Enns, she is from GP but shoots all over alberta
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM

I am also getting married on Saturday. I almost fell over when i heard how much photographers where but i was told its her day.!! Ours is costing us
$7000.00 and some photos are included along with alittle book. The rest we have to pay for.
We also have an actual photobooth set up with props an you get a little photo strip at the end of the session with our wedding day on the top of the strip.

Ya i should of became a photographer, getting paid good cash to go to parties is my way of thinking.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
50 or more disposable camera,hundreds of semi drunk guests.I bet you get more divorce photo`s than wedding ones
Lol we did that. The ol lady developing them at Walmart quit after the 7th picture and refused to develop any more.

To the OP congrats..... You've decided to ruin your life. It's all down hill from here, one minute it's cocaine stripper parties, the next the wife all Whiney about you having cocaine stripper parties, total buzz kill!!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM

Forgot to add there is a videographer there thats included in that price.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

Seriously?5,6 7 grand for PHOTO`S????
Man up and say NO or get a less high maintainance girl.Put that heavy cash into a house or an RSP or an education fund for your kids.Sheesh.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM

You arent even married yet and you are looking to get screwed by a photographer.....

Your wedding pictures are special. You will show them to everyone for the first year. Then everyone will get sick of seeing them so you will put them "away"....

Probably look at them once every five years, laugh at your lack of rental tux choices, your wife will lament paying $2k for a dress that just cost her $400 to clean and have boxed up.......

Put more effort into the marriage than all the other meaningless bulls$:t and you will be better off.

Have someone take digital pics. You can see right away if something isnt right. Buy a $1000 camera, get a friend to take pics, then GIVE them the camera.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM

^^^^^^^

Good advice.....

After going through 2 weddings and paying for two photographers.....yah screw me once shame on you.....screw me twice at least give me the courtesy of a reach around!

$1000 max would be what I pay for pictures....

LC
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Its a total scam.

Not one person who has been married 5 years would look back and say "wow im so glad I spent $6000 for those wedding pics. Best money i ever spent!"

No photographer is worth that. None. Ansel Adams isnt worth 6 grand.....

These people prey on emotional events kinda like an undertaker. Who in hell buys a $15,000 box then buries it?????
Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Congratulations!

There are some wonderful photographers on this forum, maybe someone will step up and give you a good deal for pictures?

Put up a photographer wanted thread, who knows?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Its a total scam.

Not one person who has been married 5 years would look back and say "wow im so glad I spent $6000 for those wedding pics. Best money i ever spent!"

No photographer is worth that. None. Ansel Adams isnt worth 6 grand.....

These people prey on emotional events kinda like an undertaker. Who in hell buys a $15,000 box then buries it?????
X2 people get crazy around wedding time and these vultures know it, same with death. A casket or a headstone.... Crazy expensive but people are vulnerable and will spend the money.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
its a total scam.

Not one person who has been married 5 years would look back and say "wow im so glad i spent $6000 for those wedding pics. Best money i ever spent!"

no photographer is worth that. None. Ansel adams isnt worth 6 grand.....

x100
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
We are getting married August 17th and have been through the ropes we did a engagement and wedding photo package. The Photographer is great, she is from Spuce Grove and does great work. We are having her join us in Jasper for the wedding all done and said it should be under $4,000 including engagement shoot and photos 9 hours and photos for the wedding, her travel and room for a night.

Her name is Angela Corley and her company is Glitzz photography she has a great website if you are interested just google it.

Cheers,
Mike
Yes! Use her, and get the whole package. Engagement photos included, etc. Get her to get an extra person for the day and you can split them up between guys and girls in the morning and cover a lot more crap thoughout the entire rodeo, I think I cost us another $200-300. She is great to work with, pics turned out very good, very accomodating as well. You get a good number of pics on a disc and get'em done yerself, less waste or pics that you won't use or give out. The price is very good, some charger around 7G and you don't get near the service or package. If the wedding is a pretty big one, lets say 250-300ppl, the photographer will likely be less than 10% of the cost, so really no big deal. Unless you're eating KFC, renting a barn, serving draft beer, and your DJ is your truck stereo, then the % of total cost may be higher. Good luck, cheers.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Forget the photographer, RUN lol just kidding.
I personally think wedding photos are a waste of money, one gets put on the mantel and the others are stored in an album that nobody looks at until your gone. " oh look there is grandpa when they got married, I wonder why he didn't leave us any money"
lmao thats a riot
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM

If you want good wedding pictures you can have mine!! I'm not using them anymore!!...lol....but seriously I like the advise of giving cameras to the guests, that sounds like a great idea..enjoy
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Congrats on getting married. My first wedding we had a top legislator/wedding photographer take the pictures. My second marriage which by the way was at the Legion which worked out fantastic, we had my 17 year old daughter take pictures. She didn't have an expensive camera, but she got pictures that were nice, and along with what some guests took, we had pictures that everyone really likes. Had more good comments on the pictures from them than from the professional on my first wedding. Depends what you really want as to whether a pro is worth the money to you or not. For my ex's family having the photographer who had a reputation taking pictures of Alberta's top echelon of folks made them happy, and the pictures were very good, but the pictures of my second wedding caught a lot of things that were special to people and none of it was posed which added a whole different atmosphere to the pictures.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Congrats.
IMO, set your budget at $3K and make SURE, the pics / proofs are yours.
Some think they get a bargain at $3-$4K and then end up paying thousands more in prints.
It's your day, Nobody should hold your special day for ransom.
Good luck,

TBark
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Seriously?5,6 7 grand for PHOTO`S????
Man up and say NO or get a less high maintainance girl.Put that heavy cash into a house or an RSP or an education fund for your kids.Sheesh.
Just want to say, I take issue with this. I respect your point of view, that it's smarter to invest in something... smarter.

But remember that all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

Then there's the flip side... what about when it's time to buy a new rifle? Is his wife to man up and tell him no? I realize the scale of money we're talking about is different, but lets say it's a quad for hunting.

Different things, such as mementos of fond memories and good times, are important to different people. Yes, 5-7k into a mortgage or retirement portfolio is a smart investment. But there's no reason to kill your enjoyment, especially not while a marriage is young and enjoyable. I'd kill to go back to that time, it passed far too quickly.

I still believe a compromise would work best. The amateur, should you find one, will cost less and still produce good results. Happy wife, happy life. Unhappy wife.. you get to sleep in your truck after she takes the house in a divorce settlement!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post

Call NAIT or SAIT photography department and ask the instructor for a list of his better students.

Also, remind your future bride that if you have too many pictures you won't have as many memories because the pictures keep the memories instead of your hearts.

Funny how marriage is the only institution that allows men to loose their bachelor degree and where women gain their masters degree.

They say marriage is an institution...I never did like the idea of being institutionalized.