Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Getting Married

Ok so apparently 7 years of engagement is enough. I will be tying the knot next year. I have the venue all sorted out going with The Legion. Fits with my family background and such. Question though does anyone know any photographers and how much should I be paying Ball Park. Any other tips would be great and running is not an option lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM

No , but when you do, get the photographer to take pictures of your hunting / fishing stuff, then let me know when it is all for sale!

HA HA , good luck, its all good.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM

$3000 for a photographer is cheep, at least thats what my wife told me!

Ha ha ah

Congrats!!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM

I Almost fell over when my fiancé told me how much pictures are. I think we are in the 5-7000 dollar range with all the little extras. I cried cause the money I had saved up for my next quad, poof gone lol.

Oh well, how does the old saying go... happy wife happy life....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Prepare to be gouged. I couldn't believe it when i found out what those guys charge. And the best part is, you pay them $300-400 per hour to photograph the event, but you don't get any pictures! If you actually want some pictures you have to buy them.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Forget the photographer, RUN lol just kidding.
I personally think wedding photos are a waste of money, one gets put on the mantel and the others are stored in an album that nobody looks at until your gone. " oh look there is grandpa when they got married, I wonder why he didn't leave us any money"
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Quality pics

Finally a post where I have a field of xpertise....

First let me wish you all the luck I might have had on several occasions .

Find a guy or girl on Kijiji ,this isn't brain surgery , but if you get away

Under 5grand done ,you lucky....

My bud ,2 ND wedding for both , asked everybody ,to take pics ,and send them
To them ,then had wallymart print , spiffy albums at Blacks , cost peanuts .
Result fabulous
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM

We are getting married August 17th and have been through the ropes we did a engagement and wedding photo package. The Photographer is great, she is from Spuce Grove and does great work. We are having her join us in Jasper for the wedding all done and said it should be under $4,000 including engagement shoot and photos 9 hours and photos for the wedding, her travel and room for a night.

Her name is Angela Corley and her company is Glitzz photography she has a great website if you are interested just google it.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Hahah thanks for all the input. I figured it would be costly. I have a qoute for $3500 for the day so it might work.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

we asked for who ever takes pics to put them on a usb stick for us. the wife uploaded them to her computer and made a mac book album of our wedding. i think total cost was 50 bucks a book and we got one for each set of parents. i refused to pay for a photographer. good luck
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

congrats

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM

congratulations!

I've often heard it said that a man is not complete until he's married ........and then he's finished!

All the best
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Shop around for a photographer. Shop, shop, shop!!

My wife shopped around, a lot, and ended up finding a guy who showed before the wedding to take pictures of my wife and bridesmaids getting ready and stayed until around 11pm-12am taking pictures of everyone dancing and having a good time and getting some night pictures of us. Then a couple weeks later we received 6 CD's with EVERY picture on them (we didn't have to order prints through him, we owned the pictures not the photographer). All said, it cost us ~$1000 and the pictures turned out great!!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Forget the photographer, RUN lol just kidding.
I personally think wedding photos are a waste of money, one gets put on the mantel and the others are stored in an album that nobody looks at until your gone. " oh look there is grandpa when they got married, I wonder why he didn't leave us any money"
X2

We got the sister-in-law who knows a camera pretty good to do the pics. Total cost, less than $100. Still have way to many pics in my opinion and who wants to look at 500 pics of the same people on the same day?? Cant believe people spend a couple grand for pics....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the comments. As a side note the folks at the new Legion on the North Side are amazing to deal with.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM

An old man goes to the Wizard to ask him if he can remove a curse he has
Been living with for the last 40 years.

The Wizard says, 'Maybe, but you will have to tell me the exact words
That were used to put the curse on you.'

The old man says without hesitation, 'I now pronounce you man and wife.'

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Here is what my brother did. He bought about 50 disposable cameras. He gave them to the more reputable guests and asked them to take pictures and return the cameras when they were full. He got some great shots, probably some a pro would have missed.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Here is what my brother did. He bought about 50 disposable cameras. He gave them to the more reputable guests and asked them to take pictures and return the cameras when they were full. He got some great shots, probably some a pro would have missed.
That sounds about right. Especially with so many people using digital cameras you can get lots of pictures that dont cost an arm and leg.

I know I got some shots at my friends wedding that the pro didnt get.
including the bride lifting up and looking under the grooms kilt.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Banned

Whew, that's alot of beans for pictures...

Just a suggestion, my cousin for example is an amateur photographer who is looking to go professional. She's done her first 3 weddings now for free. She did all the edits and adjustments the pictures and the married couples are completely happy with the end results. They had a second amateur snapping pics as well - they didn't have to pay anything and my cousin has added to her portfolio. If you take that route, make sure they have the gear to go with it - if they are willing to pay the money for the gear, chances are very good they are serious about it.

Congrats
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

You will be in and around $4000 but you can haggle. I refused to pay somebody $4000 and said to the wife I would rather buy an expensive camera and have a buddy take the pictures. She disagreed and found a young lady on Kijiji who had very little wedding experience and she did our wedding and my brother in laws wedding for I believe $800 each. I agreed to that. We got the pictures back from both weddings and the pictures were better than from my own brother's wedding that they spent $8000 to have "the best photographer in southern Saskatchewan". I suppose they could have been a disaster though. We also owned all of the proofs so that we could print whatever and as many of each as we liked. I know that a professional photographer is worth money, but how many professional photographers are "professional" anymore?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Just a suggestion, my cousin for example is an amateur photographer who is looking to go professional. She's done her first 3 weddings now for free. She did all the edits and adjustments the pictures and the married couples are completely happy with the end results. They had a second amateur snapping pics as well - they didn't have to pay anything and my cousin has added to her portfolio. If you take that route, make sure they have the gear to go with it - if they are willing to pay the money for the gear, chances are very good they are serious about it.

Congrats
That was a better explanation of what I was trying to say! It was posted as I was typing my post.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Congrats
My sister-in-law went this route and the pics were mediocre at best. The lighting was off, the photog missed several key moments, and the end result was disappointing.

It still cost her $600. Sometimes you get what you pay for
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:

Congrats
x2 with my cousin's kids.

Good post Silverdoctor.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
My sister-in-law went this route and the pics were mediocre at best. The lighting was off, the photog missed several key moments, and the end result was disappointing.

It still cost her $600. Sometimes you get what you pay for
We went that route as well but our photographer did "engagemnet photos" as well so we saw the quality of her work before the actual wedding.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Banned

Unless one is filthy rich.....I can't see spending thousands.
Would you spend that kind of money for vacation pics?
And who gets the pics if divorce comes?
Hire a student photographer and hand out portable cameras like Pincherguy said.
You will get a better variety this way.

It's my opinion that the big money is better used for a better life together than just on one day.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
Unless one is filthy rich.....I can't see spending thousands.
Would you spend that kind of money for vacation pics?
And who gets the pics if divorce comes?
Hire a student photographer and hand out portable cameras like Pincherguy said.
You will get a better variety this way.

It's my opinion that the big money is better used for a better life together than just on one day.
If I only went one vacation my entire life then yes I would spend that much money on a pro photographer.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Banned

I have seen too many people spend a ridiculous amount of money on the wedding and can't afford to go on a honeymoon trip.
I just don't get that rationale at all.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
If I only went one vacation my entire life then yes I would spend that much money on a pro photographer.
Very good point but the law of averages these days dictates that most people will have more than one vacation.....if you follow my reasoning?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM

We got hitched 3 weeks ago.

Wedding at the church, reception at our acreage.

120 people, hired our catering and photographers. Rented tents, light towers, big mobile cooler, had a couple legs.

All in, we were 8600. We did it on the cheap.

Our photographers we two gals we found locally that were just getting started. 1500 for the weekend.

Don't over do it. We went cheap, and I had numerous people tell me that it was the most enjoyable and fun wedding they had ever been too.

I had a friend drop 85k on his wedding. He regrets every second of it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Oh, I forgot. Congrats!!!