Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Thank you fly gods

Was out fishing on the weekend on prairie creek by Rocky, beautiful day and extremely clear water. At one point in the day i found myself wading out underneath a giant tree that was sticking out from the bank. Water came close to the top of my waders but i didnt think much of it and kept fishing upstream. About 20 minutes later i decide to swap flies, feel my pocket on my chest where both fly cases were stored. Nothing, both gone. Had a dry fly box with some nymphs in it and another box jacked full of streamers. 117 flies in total gone... Needless to say i was a little PO'd. Starting walking downstream and found my dry fly case stuck in one of the branches sticking out from that big tree i had ducked under, woohoo! At this point i was happy to have retrieved either case. Other one was no-where in sight. Fished for another hour or two further downstream than where i had begun. Finally hooked into a nice brown about 1km downstream from the bridge where i had gone upstream to start my day. After releasing the brown i looked across into a corner pool and saw my other streamer box spinning around in circles stuck in an eddy I could feel the day turn around in an instant. Big smile on my face, Managed to hook into a few other little guys and covered some nice country. I just wanted to thank the fly gods for pushing me to walk downstream instead of just calling er a day!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM

id buy a lottery ticket!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
id buy a lottery ticket!
buy 2. one for each box.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM

I've chased my fly box down the NSR more than once but never had that happen. I like how they still appeased you to allow you to catch a fish after the fact. You must of done something right.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Another lost but returned box

I was fishing a very deep hole in spring runoff(fast water) conditions when my flybox got knocked out of my hands (mid fly change) by a falling rock. I froze for a minute to collect my thoughts as to how I could get it back, water was much too deep to go after it and the current was very swift if it made it out of the pool it would be long gone! Then it occurred to me, I grabbed the attention of my loyal retriever, and got her focussed on the fly box by pointing. With some encouraging words I sent her off the rocky perch we were on to fetch the flybox. It was still flipped open on one side(the upside fourtunatly) so when she arrived at the box, her "chomp" closed it and she was a little confused(used to fetching tennis balls) She continued on to the other side of the river where she dropped the box on land and had a good shake. I tried to get her to bring it back but she wouldn't. Maybe it was the noise of the small waterfall? I'm not sure but at least it was safe on land. 1/2hr walk around a big cliff to a safe place to cross and I had my box and dog back!
Just one of the reasons I don't leave home without her.
Good dog.

Sorry for the hijack, the "lost box" just gave me flashback.