Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Fly fishing search presentations

Any interest is this discussion? When the fish are not feeding on an obvious hatch, what do you go to and where? These have worked but was wondering if there are better methods.

In hot sunny weather, touch and float close to the shore line with a big dry, caddis, hopper, stimulator. Also for wide open water, in a grid pattern starting very close to shore and moving out in 1-2' steps.

Bead head prince or stone flies in riffle edges and into drop offs into pools.

Leeches where slow muddy pools are close by and close to weed beds.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Any interest is this discussion? When the fish are not feeding on an obvious hatch, what do you go to and where? These have worked but was wondering if there are better methods.

In hot sunny weather, touch and float close to the shore line with a big dry, caddis, hopper, stimulator. Also for wide open water, in a grid pattern starting very close to shore and moving out in 1-2' steps.

Bead head prince or stone flies in riffle edges and into drop offs into pools.

Leeches where slow muddy pools are close by and close to weed beds.
There are so many variations to look at depending on the body of water (lakes or streams) or time of year. Streamers, nymphs and even dry fly and terrestrials can be good for searching patterns. A good bet is to flip boulders, see what is there and match up. I often look at spiders webs, stream and lakeside to see what has or is hatching. You can then work backward to nymph or pupa stages and try that. Just looking and watching for a while before casting can pay off big time.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Ya, look at spider webs and under rocks to see what has been hatching. I also use a wooley bugger for searching. Cast striaght out, retreive. Repeat.