Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Bear visit

I have a spot at my cabins where a grizzly comes in and rolls in a hole every spring. I believe it is contaminated by fuel and the bear is attracted during mating season. I guess the sows must like the smell.

I threw up a trail cam and sure enough it showed up again. I have video showing the bear rolling around in the spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EK000065.jpg (27.5 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg EK000051.jpg (30.5 KB, 604 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I have a spot at my cabins where a grizzly comes in and rolls in a hole every spring. I believe it is contaminated by fuel and the bear is attracted during mating season. I guess the sows must like the smell.

I threw up a trail cam and sure enough it showed up again. I have video showing the bear rolling around in the spot.
Neat pics. Brute 33 for bears I guess.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 PM

I had a moma and 2 cubs on my deck for a week eating my wolf bait at my cabin this year all the way till mid December. Even had a cub walk into the outhouse. It was not fun having them around for a couple weeks and is part of the reason I want to get a permit to carry while I am out there. I also had a black bear knocking on the door this last summer one evening and stood there when the door was opened not afraid of anything... cool u got some pics
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Nube, trapper we bought our line from was sitting in john with door partly open, black bear stuck his head in and wanted to know what was the source of the nice perfume.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM

That would excite a guy lol. The 3 bears I had in Dec. were Grizz which made me feel a little more excited than I normally get with these critters around. It will be interesting to see if they show up here to the cabin again this spring. Sure hope not.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM

That would suck nubes, especially if u happened to bring your kids along, I'd be on edge the whole time.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
That would suck nubes, especially if u happened to bring your kids along, I'd be on edge the whole time.
For sure. Not keeping bait at the cabin would probably help a bit.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 PM

Keeping a camp as clean as possible is for sure a good idea just on general principal. But when it comes to bears you're fooling yourself if you think you can avoid contact. You spit on the ground in July and a bear smells in in spring of next year.

I've been in bear country all my lifewith 25+ years down in Kakwa and Willmore in some of the highest bear densities found in the west.

Almost without exception I've been left alone by grizzlies ( lost one elk quarter off a quad because of my laziness) but have found that any black bear that comes into camp will become a problem.

These bears need to be removed from the gene pool. I'm not a bear hunter because I have to deal with the odd bad one over the years and that's good enough for me but I encourage my bear hunting buddies to remove bears from around my camp. I believe that helps.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
For sure. Not keeping bait at the cabin would probably help a bit.
Wolf season starts Dec 1st for me. Did you think I really expected to have bears around well into freezing temps after the first week of Dec?
Ive hunted a lot of bear areas for deer in november and only once have I seen a bear track in November. I know Grizz stay up later but if you look at the Temperature this year for December it was not even close to being nice out.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nube, trapper we bought our line from was sitting in john with door partly open, black bear stuck his head in and wanted to know what was the source of the nice perfume.

That ought to eliminate the need for a laxative.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-28-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Wolf season starts Dec 1st for me. Did you think I really expected to have bears around well into freezing temps after the first week of Dec?
Ive hunted a lot of bear areas for deer in november and only once have I seen a bear track in November. I know Grizz stay up later but if you look at the Temperature this year for December it was not even close to being nice out.
Last winter and this winter down on the Kakwa I saw grizzly tracks at least once in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar.

Not one went near a bait or trap, just walked the trail and kept going.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Last winter and this winter down on the Kakwa I saw grizzly tracks at least once in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar.

Didn't think you trapped much the last couple years Jeff?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

My Uncle used to trap up on the Knailer Hills. Every winter he had Bears or at least a Bear steal bait from sets. It would follow his trail for a few miles hitting every set, then leave the trail and not return till the next chinook came through.

He showed me it's tracks one winter. Not a good feeling traveling that overgrown trail with eight inch Bear tracks running down the middle of it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
My Uncle used to trap up on the Knailer Hills. Every winter he had Bears or at least a Bear steal bait from sets. It would follow his trail for a few miles hitting every set, then leave the trail and not return till the next chinook came through.

He showed me it's tracks one winter. Not a good feeling traveling that overgrown trail with eight inch Bear tracks running down the middle of it.
Your Uncle's bait sets helped get that bear to 8 inch feet!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 PM

After 3 years on my line this was the first time i have seen tracks past November so I was pretty chocked to see any bear action so late this past season. Maybe things are different in the Mountain areas?
It could also be that the trio have a den not far from my cabin which would not surprise me being so close to a river where the habitat is ideal for a den
Old 04-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
As Brian said bears have super noses. The bears don't have to be up and about Dec./Jan./Feb,. All you have to do is spill some, leave some scraps under the snow etc. and your cabin site will definitely be a regular stop on their tours. I would imagine yours is already targeted.

Whether you expect them around at any time during the year or not, keeping bait around a cabin site in my opinion is not smart.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Didn't think you trapped much the last couple years Jeff?
Not as much as I'd have like to of course. But still had 45 or so days on the line last year and close to 40 this year. Ended up with 88 marten and a few wolves between up north and the Kakwa so I would say a decent effort was made. The lack of snow down here made it pretty rough until late in the season to do much, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Brian, the attraction to the fuel spot on ground may explain why darn bears always like to chew our red plastic gas containers. Always annoying when you count on fuel container by cabin and it laying on side with holes and no gas.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Brian, the attraction to the fuel spot on ground may explain why darn bears always like to chew our red plastic gas containers. Always annoying when you count on fuel container by cabin and its laying on side with holes and no gas. However our previous line owner obviously had lots of gas.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Not as much as I'd have like to of course. But still had 45 or so days on the line last year and close to 40 this year. Ended up with 88 marten and a few wolves between up north and the Kakwa so I would say a decent effort was made. The lack of snow down here made it pretty rough until late in the season to do much, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Awesome! glad u got some time in. Did u take a camera? I know I didnt do well at taking much for pictures this year other than some wolves I caught. Hopefully I do better next year
Old 04-29-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Awesome! glad u got some time in. Did u take a camera? I know I didnt do well at taking much for pictures this year other than some wolves I caught. Hopefully I do better next year

Ya. Got some pics but I find I take less pictures of dead stuff now when it's just me out there and more of the little man or scenery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
x2
Old 04-29-2017, 09:42 AM

Awesome he's getting big enough to get out there Tork. I always enjoy taking my kids with me.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Nice pictures tork
When i was a kid used to have a griz at home would make his rounds once a month regular as clock work followed part of my squirrel line never bothred a thing
Never told my dad because it would have been the end of trapping for the winter. When he did find out boy did i get my ass kicked young and dumb

Same as you nube cant start snareing untill dec 1 usually haul as mutch bait in as i can and store in wooden boxes at the campsite havnt had any trouble with bears yet but did have a couple cats try to get into the bait
Had a young black come into camp last summer grand lids left a juice can out two trips later thought i would have to get rid of him but was spray painting some boxes i left the spray paint can sitting on a bench the young black came and bit the can he never came closer than a quarter mile after that was easy to tell he was the only one with a orange face
Try smearing a couple paint cans with grease or jam never no might deter them
Old 04-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Awesome he's getting big enough to get out there Tork. I always enjoy taking my kids with me.

He's been coming since he was 2 months old, but he's far more mobile now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 11:00 AM

Tork, nothing like starting them young.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Tork, nothing like starting them young.
Me and the wife were out trapping fall beaver on Nov 5 on the line and he was born Dec 1. His first trip to the line for marten he was only 3 weeks old, from the truck on that trip
I think he was 3-4 months old in the picture above, by then I was packing him with me in to check sets from the sled.

Hopefully he likes it just as much when he's older!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM

We had this guy show up in early 2015. Never did come back around thankfully but his tracks were seen in other spots around the line. This is between the cabin and the outhouse. Skinning shed is in the back ground. Nube, definitely look into starting the process of getting your permit to pack. It's alot easier packing the 357 on your hip to use the outhouse and start the generator versus the 12 guage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grizzly side picture~2.jpg (88.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
Try smearing a couple paint cans with grease or jam never no might deter them
IIRC Brian tried that once with a black bear - Wasn't that a can of bear spray that you left out for the bear that was nesting under your sink, Brian?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Good memory Buff. Can of bear spray left on table smeared in jam. Didn't think that one out. Cabin had a whiff of bear spray for years even after painting. Bear didn't come back