Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
Totally, might feel like 25 km to your body but it aint really. Where are all these people walking to so far away anyway. To cover that much ground in one day you gotta be huffing it and making a lot of noise. These people must be heading into the bush at 3 am to walk the 10 km to be in their spots for sunrise? People like to think they are walking a long ways but in reality I bet most walk less than 5 km/day.
The samsung has a fit app on it which tracks your steps so does my fit bit.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Sometimes I measure out my path before the walk and other times I measure after the walk. I use google earth.

Short as 2km and a s long as 25km. Sometimes I just like walking with the rifle ,don't really get much besides the odd doe. But it's just good to walk sometimes.
An 18 km slow , all day round trip with the bow was gruelling. Early season archery moose. Skeg and ridges all day. Did see a 6 point bull and a a whitetail Doe but didn't seal the deal on either
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM

Hunting season average is about 8km per day and depending on the year (how long to connect) average about 60 days hunting for elk, whiteys or whatever tag I have. Even if tag is filled will go with buddies / neighbours for support
Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM

When I still hunted moose 2 years ago I started out at +10 km a day (from my fitbit), and by the end of the week that I was hunting, I was doing less than 5 km, and tripled the number of animals I saw, before eventually getting my moose.

Ever since then I've realized that walking is the easy option, its the going slow that is hard!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM

As with most young hunters, I would hike up a mountain just to see what was on the other side and not give a moments thought as to how do I get a harvested animal back to the truck.

I have a set rule; not to shoot anything more than a mile from the truck. The areas I hunt now, allow for this guideline. Too many leg surgeries have confined my distances.

I would say I walk 2-4 kms on an average day..... I enjoy the spot and stalk and sit and glass methods.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Be interesting to see the difference between the distance of a step counter vs a GPS in regards to distance at a hunting pace. I know on my foot pod/garmin it can be out a lot depending on terrain as your stride changes. Short little steps are much different that most people's calibrated walk in a track on or on pavement.

Personally I don't cover that much ground as it's normally from parking spot to tree stand or blind. I hunt to relax
Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 PM

Very good topic and thread .. I actually don't know but would guess in the range of 2-6 klm .... rough country , but I feel the best when out hunting and walking ... hunting for me has a lot pluses and walking is one of them ....The exercise thing is true ....
Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM

My mileage is a bit misleading because I hunt 40 days in a season.
But it does talley up, walk the perimeter of a quarter section, 2 miles.
This once in AM, sometimes n Pm too, rain outs or wind at times.
So I ball parked it at 2.5 each day on average, gives my 90 mi in a good season.
And boots, sometimes elk tracker, muck, hikers, nothing special.

TBark
Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
Totally, might feel like 25 km to your body but it aint really. Where are all these people walking to so far away anyway. To cover that much ground in one day you gotta be huffing it and making a lot of noise. These people must be heading into the bush at 3 am to walk the 10 km to be in their spots for sunrise? People like to think they are walking a long ways but in reality I bet most walk less than 5 km/day.
I see why a lot of people don't kill too many animals. Spend all their time walking and not enough time spotting. On a tough day of Elk hunting I might walk 3 Kms. Deer maybe 2 Kms.

Last edited by ram crazy; 04-29-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 AM

Anywhere from maybe 400m to 3K. I usually quad into where I'm interested in hunting deer and then very slowly still hunt .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip