Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Default Selkirk Spike Tent

Just wondering if anyone on here has one and if you could relay an experience or review of them. They are from the Montana canvas tent company. I like the concept as my wife and are wanting a good tent and I thought this one looked good in that it has a floor and appears to be good in regards to bugs, rodents, and snakes.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM

So nobody on here has one of these tents??
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 AM

I don't have immediate experience with this model but have a couple of traditional wall tents as well as tipis. The Selkirk has walls and a center pole, if I'm not mistaken. So you don't have to worry about a ridgepole. Is that your primary reason for buying one? I would just get a traditional model and use a trucker's strap between two trees to save on having to cut a ridgepole. As for the sides, it's the same deal. As for weight, I don't see any savings there either. But it looks nice, and is different so why not?

Oh, and a sewn in floor is a hassle. Just throw a tarp down to keep out the moisture from the ground filling up your tent.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks Alder for your response. I never thought of the sewn in floor as being too much of a PIA. After thinking about it though it definitely could turn out that way. Getting dirty from foot traffic, spills etc. I have a fair bit of exp with the usual wall tents and can certainly understand. My thinking was the sewn in floor would be a bit more nicer in terms of bugs and rodents being easier to keep out.