Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 03:06 PM

An open bow I would be very apprehensive. One wave over the bow and your done so it would very diligent to stay inside on the quiet water.

Salt Chuck requires utmost respect!

Lots to discuss so you are more than welcome to call for much more info.

PM sent.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
When I lived in Tofino it was good sport watching mainlanders bring their nice lake boats out the open ocean. So perky and chipper when they headed out... not so much when they limped back
Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM

Indy and Runamuk, thanx for the VHF license heads-up, bought a boat with one onboard last year and had no idea about this. Signing up for the course right away.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
If you are running a VHF radio it is mandatory that you have a license, it becomes very apparent why this is required when you are listening to the Maydays, panpan or securite calls going out.
If your not sure then get an instructor to take you out. They are very reasonably priced for the information/experience they have. Check out ISPA or Power Squadron. I'm ISPA certified but get an instructor to do a tune up every once and awhile.
Know the forecast before you get on the water and what it is forecasted to do while on the water. Monitor it on your VHF radio, cell phone and look at visual indicators.
Be prepared to not go out or go in early if the weather is not within your comfort/experience area.

Most of all enjoy, lots of boats like yours on the ocean.
Good advice about the vhf licence. If your radio is DSC equipped, i do not know if you can register it without a license.
I checked out the ISPA site and ordered one of their workbooks. It will give me something to do while the lakes are closed.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:08 PM

This is a great thread for ideas on how to be a safe boater in general.

My addition to the great points already made is to have a strict schedule, share the schedule with someone on shore and stick to that schedule!

This way if you are past due on one of your scheduled check-ins, the proper authorities can be contacted.

I speak from experience...not on the ocean...but simply here in Alberta on little Gull Lake.

A few years back, a bad storm swamped a boat on Gull Lake. Because the 3 men in the boat told loved ones where they were going on the lake and what time they would be back, when they missed that schedule, the police were contacted.

They came to the marina, asked a few boats to go look in the areas where these 3 men were going.

My friend and I pulled them out of lake and all 3 were suffering from severe hypothermia.

And that is just little Gull Lake, AB.

If out on the coast, regardless of your boat, definitely let someone know your plan and schedule.

Hope this helps and have a great time.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Another recommendation,

If you don't have a chart plotter, spend $10 on the Navionics app. It's great for charts, plotting, currents, tides, wind, weather, etc.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
Another recommendation,

If you don't have a chart plotter, spend $10 on the Navionics app. It's great for charts, plotting, currents, tides, wind, weather, etc.
$10?

Mine was $68 yearly? Boating HD?