Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Shotgun advice

I'm thinking about buying a new shotgun. I'm partial to wanting a Mossberg 500 but the one I've seen in-store has a ported barrel. I grew up using a 500 but it's from the 60's with a fixed full choke and single slide action. I'm used to the feel of the 500 and the tang safety. I don't think I'm a fan of the factory ported barrel but is it a show stopper?

My other option is to go all out with a SBE2 as it's the only semi-auto I've seen stocked that comes in LH.

I've written off the 870 Express and the Browning BPS and don't really want a O/U.

I'd be using it for trap and upland mainly. The SBE2 seems overkill but something about them is tempting.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM

I would not have a ported gun for upland birds, as the porting increases the noise to the shooter, and offers no real advantage. I do have ported target shotguns, but if I could get the same models without porting, I would have chose them instead.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM

I'm going to see if I can order one without porting. I think the wife would also be about 4 times less angry with me if I came home with the Mossberg.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:00 PM

if it's trap and upland, and I wanted an semi, I'd get a gas one. Less kick for all those rounds at the range.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM

The Versa max and A400 also come in left hand models, and gas operated guns provide less felt recoil.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM

I have had several ported guns and likely won't ever own another. Avoid it if you can, it does nothing but increase noise to the shooter and every one around you.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Default M3500 Stoeger

Purchased a Stoeger m3500 and really really love it. Matches shotguns that are double it in price. Made but Benelli so it's a very good option.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:04 AM

I'm looking for left hand just because I can. It limits my options. My first choice was the Mossberg 500 for $520 because I'm familiar with the action and for the price is hard to pass up, but the idea of simplicity and easy cleaning of the SBE2 has me seriously considering Benelli. The Beretta A400 I'm going to take a look at sounds a bit too fancy with the shot counter computer in the grip, but it sounds interesting.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 AM

I've been looking at a Stoeger Condor in 20 guage O/U for pheasant and upland.

Looks like good quality for the money.

BW
Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Default trap gun

if you are going to use it for trap buy a trap gun with a trap stock. there is a reason that those trap shooters who shoot up to 30000 birds a year use a trap gun. if you are also hunting with it the only thing i know of is the bps browning trap model and the 870 trap special. good luck and have fun shooting
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse10gun View Post
if you are going to use it for trap buy a trap gun with a trap stock. there is a reason that those trap shooters who shoot up to 30000 birds a year use a trap gun. if you are also hunting with it the only thing i know of is the bps browning trap model and the 870 trap special. good luck and have fun shooting
The choice of gun depends on how serious he is about trap and upland hunting. I wouldn't choose a lighter weight field gun to shoot a lot of trap, but then again, I wouldn't want to carry a heavy long barreled trap gun for miles hunting upland birds on a regular basis either. Being that he is considering a Mossberg 500, he likely isn't all that serious about either.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The choice of gun depends on how serious he is about trap and upland hunting. I wouldn't choose a lighter weight field gun to shoot a lot of trap, but then again, I wouldn't want to carry a heavy long barreled trap gun for miles hunting upland birds on a regular basis either. Being that he is considering a Mossberg 500, he likely isn't all that serious about either.

Now that there is funny!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Default shotgun

winchester sxp are cheap and way better then a mossy 500 , i got 2 of them , even the wife likes em lol
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
now that there is a good answer.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
winchester sxp are cheap and way better then a mossy 500 , i got 2 of them , even the wife likes em lol
I just bought one too, but mine must be broken, I can't hit clays if my life depended on it but it works good on the pattern board.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 PM

You're kind of going on both ends of the spectrum with the Mossberg and the Benelli. But since I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy I would go for a nice semi over a pump. I've got a Beretta 391 and I love it. I would recommend it any day of the week. I also know that Benelli makes a nice gun. No wrong choice in my opinion. Go big, or go home!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
You're kind of going on both ends of the spectrum with the Mossberg and the Benelli. But since I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy I would go for a nice semi over a pump. I've got a Beretta 391 and I love it. I would recommend it any day of the week. I also know that Benelli makes a nice gun. No wrong choice in my opinion. Go big, or go home!
Both true. I'm not a fan of buying junk twice so might as well buy good stuff off the bat. Considering my idea of a fun time shooting trap involves lawnchairs and beer with the father in law and his buddy, I'm not overly interested in competing. Getting out and having fun is the main goal. I added the SBE2 to the list of junk I own but don't really need. Canadian Tire had one for a pretty good price compared to anywhere else.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Both true. I'm not a fan of buying junk twice so might as well buy good stuff off the bat. Considering my idea of a fun time shooting trap involves lawnchairs and beer with the father in law and his buddy, I'm not overly interested in competing. Getting out and having fun is the main goal. I added the SBE2 to the list of junk I own but don't really need. Canadian Tire had one for a pretty good price compared to anywhere else.
You threw us off when you mentioned trap, given that you really aren't shooting trap at all. For what you are doing, pretty much any shotgun would work , and an actual trap gun would be overkill.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

I would get a semi-auto. I have a Mossberg 930 and Beretta A400. I find them more enjoyable to shoot for an afternoon as opposed to a pump.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You threw us off when you mentioned trap, given that you really aren't shooting trap at all. For what you are doing, pretty much any shotgun would work , and an actual trap gun would be overkill.
I do intend on trap with friends from work. The range is only 10 min from home. A gun to do everything that will last a long time is what I wanted. Thanks for all the comments.