Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It all seems to be in the one area. Hopefully they caught it quick enough to contain it if nothing else at least to the bow river system.
So how would the disease be "contained"? Or even better, reversed?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So how would the disease be "contained"? Or even better, reversed?
From what I understand there is currently no "cure" for whirling disease or a way to contain it. It is a parasite and not all trout are susceptible to the effects of it. It also only affects them in the fry stage I think. There's lots of factors in which fish get the disease and why. Such as when they spawn and water temperature. Which could be why it hasn't been seen in northern Alberta. As far as recovery goes, from what I understand, it is based on recovery of the population that is genetically resistant to the effects of the parasite. The article that was posted in this thread is really good.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM

I believe that whirling has been in the southern alberta rivers for some time, however the colder more northern watersheds can kill it. Just something were all goimg to have to live with...
While on the subject does anyone in the forum have some go to patterns for tying baitfish/small trout infected with whirling? Something with an aggressive curve in the shank im thinking, may be a go to streamer in the bow/crow.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBaus View Post
I believe that whirling has been in the southern alberta rivers for some time, however the colder more northern watersheds can kill it. Just something were all goimg to have to live with...
I agree with your statement that the parasite has been in our rivers for some time. Our long history with anglers migrating back and forth from Montana, Colorado and Wyoming and the fish hatchery/trade, it was inevitable that we would see the disease in Alberta one day.
I think the timing of the discovery of whirling disease in Alberta is tied to somewhat lower spring runoff events the past couple of years. Theory is that low runoff years allows more sediment to accumulate in streams and rivers providing increased habitat for the intermediate worm (Tubifex tubifex) host of the parasite (Myxobolus cerebralis). With more Tubifex worms in the river systems there is greater potential for propagation of the parasite and then greater chance of fish infection. High spring runoff water flows not only washes out the fine sediment, but also the worms and the parasite spores that could lie dormant till favorable summer water conditions return. With all of our late season snowfall hopefully we will have normal spring runoff sufficient to washout fine sediment and reduce the risk of fish infection in these high gradient headwaters.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Yep, we will just have to live with it, and with more closures and limit restrictions until populations can be assessed & improved. Just because its been detected doesn't necessarily mean it brand new to the province. It could have been present for years or potentially decades.

Only time will tell if we get population decline from WD (maybe it already happened) but we can expect SRD to tighten keep limits in affected rivers for the foreseeable future. I noticed the upper Bow (where I mainly fish) have gone from a trout limit of 2 last year to zero this year. Not that I kept them anyways, but I am sure it is b/c of WD. I just hope they don't have to close it altogether.